Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just tested an '08 CSS. Are these obvious signs to run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 10:07 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sounds like the car checks a lot of boxes for you. I'll be interested to see what you decide to do
Old 11-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Just called the race shop to verify how the scheduled scope is done. I asked them if they could drop the sump and look from the bottom up instead of from the spark plug hole down. He told me it's through the plug and that they've never heard of looking from the sump and don't think it's possible. Also stated that damage starts closer to the head then the piston skirt. Am I nuts in thinking that this is 100% opposite of reality? My understanding is that wear starts from the ferrostan coating breaking away from the skirt, therefore scoring starts at the bottom of the cylinder. Actually, the scoring would never reach the head side of the cylinder.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
My understanding is that wear starts from the ferrostan coating breaking away from the skirt, therefore scoring starts at the bottom of the cylinder. Actually, the scoring would never reach the head side of the cylinder.
This might help. Current as of 4 months ago...

Old 11-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by TMc993
This might help. Current as of 4 months ago...
​​​​​​
Thanks. I've watched all of these videos and it's exactly why I'm wondering if I'm completely confused, or if a Porsche specialty race shop is clueless about the biggest concern on these engines.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:49 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

of course the bore scoring and IMS stuff could all be a conspiracy. after all, if a body hasn't watched youtube videos or participated in porche forums one might well think that porche engines are all pretty much the same... or that BMWs are reliable.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-25-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:42 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
of course the bore scoring and IMS stuff could all be a conspiracy. after all, if you don't watch youtube videos or participate in porche forums you might well think that porche engines are all pretty much the same... or that BMWs are reliable.
Well having owned half a dozen or so BMW's, I'm now 100% convinced this is not a conspiracy theory. Haha
Old 11-23-2021, 05:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Do the math, then follow your gut. The PO of my car spent 26 to rebuild a motor that had the first symptoms of an IMS issue. That would have been a few grand more if he grenaded the motor and needed a new block.

On the other hand, he sold me a mint car with a 3.6 and all the right parts so in theory I shouldn't have to worry about bore scoring, or and IMS failure no matter how hard i drive it (overrevs excepted).
Old 11-23-2021, 06:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I'm in the conundrum of deciding whether or not to rebuild my 07 Cayman S engine; I've got about 25K into the car already.
the way i see it is - if I put another $20k into the engine and have 45k in the car, what else can I get that would equal my car for 45k?

if the car otherwise ticks your boxes and you can get it for a good deal, maybe it's worth spending the money for a new engine. But if not, there's plenty of cars out there
Joe, If you build it right, and then crunch the car you will have the guts to put into a roller, which the way IMS and scoring is going, shouldn't be hard to find. On the other hand, if you sell your roller for cheap, and add 25 grand to the mix, how much more will you need to make it the way you want? It is painful to put the same money the car cost into just the motor. Makes the cost of a 944 clutch job almost seem reasonable.

I got lucky. The PO of my car ordered it with PASM, and few other options. He then added GT3 control arms, and an aggressive alignment. Too aggressive for the street, not enough for the track - so perfect? After a few seasons with the new motor he bought himself a GT4, and i scooped up his old toy.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:25 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Well, I think the best case scenario just happened... He sold the car to someone else before I could scope and PPI it. A little bummed I couldn't confirm either way, but honestly quite relieved it's all over. I'll continue to search for the right Cayman for me, but will test out a base model to see if the extra hp of the S is worth the fear of scoring. Thanks for the all of the assistance and advice, and hopefully I'll be back soonish with a better story.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:48 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

good idea. i've got a base 2.7l and am quite satisfied with the power. i'm studiously avoiding any 'S' version as a consequence. for the same reason after marrying my wife i haven't visited a men's club. ...i'd rather not know what i'm missing.
The following 2 users liked this post by hueyhoolihan:
Kattman (11-25-2021), plafondles (11-25-2021)
Old 11-25-2021, 07:57 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Ha. Unfortunately I started with a 303hp S Sport, so I'm now ruined for the base models.lol Tough car to research tbh because I'd love to find a 987.1 base and a 987.2 base pdk to try out, but I'm hours from anything it seems, and most .1's are the 5 speed. Found an '06 S Tip that's tempting, but don't know if I'd be happy with the Tip. So much to think about.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:55 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Personally I love shifting gears, hard cornering, and lots of power and noise. I chose the S model 987.2 with 6MT, 3.4L, sport exhaust, and PASM, etc.
Problem is honestly there is not enough road here for the car given it's 90 mph capability in 3rd gear. With that in mind a less expensive 2.7L 5 speed might be more smiles per mile.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:06 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by scootr
Problem is honestly there is not enough road here for the car given it's 90 mph capability in 3rd gear. With that in mind a less expensive 2.7L 5 speed might be more smiles per mile.
This is exactly what I'm wondering to myself. Would a less powerful engine actually be more fun on the street? All things considered, both cars would feel identical, but you would have more time to enjoy the higher revs in the Base vs S, plus bore scoring/ims is completely removed from the equation. Or am I just trying to justify my wallet? Honestly not positive, but the current debate is gen 1 S vs gen 2 Base. Option B sounds like the smart money, but I'll need to test one out to decide.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:17 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
This is exactly what I'm wondering to myself. Would a less powerful engine actually be more fun on the street? All things considered, both cars would feel identical, but you would have more time to enjoy the higher revs in the Base vs S, plus bore scoring/ims is completely removed from the equation. Or am I just trying to justify my wallet? Honestly not positive, but the current debate is gen 1 S vs gen 2 Base. Option B sounds like the smart money, but I'll need to test one out to decide.
I love pushing my S model through tight cornered canyon roads - but she hits ticket speeds very easily while begging for more.
The only way to know for sure would be to drive them both. I know only the S model. But in my youth I had a lot of fun driving the slower sport cars as fast as the little engines would push them.
I'll leave you with one time tested saying
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."
GL with your search
Old 11-26-2021, 12:29 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Ha! I've been a believer of that statement for many, many years myself. Just don't want to feel like I missed out or it feels less special. Like you said, only a test will tell. Anyway, appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: Just tested an '08 CSS. Are these obvious signs to run?