Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just tested an '08 CSS. Are these obvious signs to run?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 03:57 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Just tested an '08 CSS. Are these obvious signs to run?

145k miles, ticking sound from cylinder 6 on cold start, bank 2 downstream O2 sensor throwing a code, and burning 1 quart per 2500 miles. Was not able to scope on site. Just typing this I feel like I'm being a idiot for even still considering it. I scheduled a PPI/Scope, but as I sit here thinking, it seems like a scope isn't really needed to verify what I'm thinking. Any chance the engine hasn't already started to eat itself?

Certainly a nice car and would love to join the Cayman world, but the $20k elephant in the room is telling me to keep looking.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:17 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i wouldn't bother, even if the scope came back negative (and from what i've read they are often unreliable). the one qt per 2500 miles would eliminate it for me. ...now if the price was right, like about 15-20 grand less than market value for a good one, then that would be different.

now.... i've recently purchased an '07 cayman 2.7l with 30,000 on it and after driving it on a 6000 mile trip across the country and burning no oil i would probably have been better off buying a 987.2 what with the angst associated with the 987.1 motor. it hasn't been worth the savings. buy 2009-2012 and get a sound sleep at night, is my advice.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-20-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:49 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
i wouldn't bother, even if the scope came back negative (and from what i've read they are often unreliable). the one qt per 2500 miles would eliminate it for me. ...now if the price was right, like about 15-20 grand less than market value for a good one, then that would be different.
Thanks for the info. Is the scope issue that a top side inspection doesn't show piston skirt and lower cylinder wear? I think you're correct that I should just move on as a new engine is literally what I would be paying for the car. I was originally hoping I was being dramatic about the issues, but the more I think, the more I realize I'm ignoring what appears to be some obvious signs of trouble coming.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:46 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm in the conundrum of deciding whether or not to rebuild my 07 Cayman S engine; I've got about 25K into the car already.
the way i see it is - if I put another $20k into the engine and have 45k in the car, what else can I get that would equal my car for 45k?

if the car otherwise ticks your boxes and you can get it for a good deal, maybe it's worth spending the money for a new engine. But if not, there's plenty of cars out there
Old 11-20-2021, 11:21 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-20-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:22 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
I'm in the conundrum of deciding whether or not to rebuild my 07 Cayman S engine; I've got about 25K into the car already.
the way i see it is - if I put another $20k into the engine and have 45k in the car, what else can I get that would equal my car for 45k?

if the car otherwise ticks your boxes and you can get it for a good deal, maybe it's worth spending the money for a new engine. But if not, there's plenty of cars out there
for 45 grand you can get a decent 987.2 (maybe S) with 30-50 thousand miles on the clock. it's a bit of a wash..... although with the 987.1 it would nice knowing that you would be the one in control of the engine's fate. i suspect that tracking 987.1's did the damage on most of the them. present company excluded, of course.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 11-20-2021 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:37 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie, at $40k-$45k I'm looking for a .2 or maybe 981. I'm going to call the shop Monday to see if we can do a scope through the sump. I'm assuming it's no more challenging and only requires a forced oil change. If that's possible, I would feel confident in my decision either way.
Old 11-21-2021, 12:06 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
for 45 grand you can get a decent 987.2 (maybe S) with 30-50 thousand miles on the clock. it's a bit of a wash..... although with the 987.1 it would nice knowing that you would be the one in control of the engine's fate. i suspect that tracking 987.1's did the damage on most of the them. present company excluded, of course.
exactly my thoughts and hence my conundrum. in my case I have a beautiful Speed Yellow Cayman S with sport seats and lots of track upgrades already so a similar 987.2 would likely be pricier.

and I am the cause of my engine's damage - from tracking.

point being - to get a similar track prepped car that checks the boxes like my speed yellow car, I'd be spending more than I'll have into mine. Similar thought process for the OP
Old 11-21-2021, 10:20 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

At 145k miles I would be concerned there are many more wear items than the motor to consider. The mileage and the oil consumption would keep me looking...unless you are looking for a low entry project car. Or a short term ownership like a 1st Porsche experiment. In any case there you have to think about selling it to the next guy. He may be hard to find unless the price is really low. GL with the search.
The following users liked this post:
Miggytosh (11-21-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 01:11 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

By "CSS" do you mean Cayman S Sport? Which color? and seats? As numbered cars go it's not the same league as 911s like the speedster, sport classic etc, of course but more desirable than an S. A green Cayman S Sport with sport bucket seats would be tempting for me even with an engine needing work in the near to medium term if the price is right.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Yes, it's a white Sport version. Understood that the collectible value of it is basically non existent, but the options list is spectacular for me. If it was orange or green, I'd most likely have just jumped on it by now, but it still looks sharp in white. Honestly, it's precisely why I'm putting more energy into this than I should. I'm well aware of used German maintenance, especially on high mileage cars and am willing to accept all surprises except bore scoring, so I'm keeping hope alive that there's some odd miracle that these obvious signs aren't what they seem.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:02 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Aside from the colors I think in retrospect the Sport S was a little hoopla for a lotta dough.
My BS specs out better than that... but no orange. I do love that orange. Did they even put the LSD in them?
Old 11-21-2021, 04:27 PM
Topshelf
Racer

If it's spec'd better, that's awesome. I'm not claiming to be an expert. Hell, I didn't even know about this Sport version until a few weeks ago tbh. I just know that the options included tick all of the boxes I want. No LSD, but I'm only driving this on the street, so not concerned. Could I upgrade a car without several options to an equal level or better? Most likely. But I really like the idea of everything being factory options. If this falls through, I'll certainly have to reconsider priorities, but I'll do that as I continue to browse. Here's the option list for reference.

Old 11-21-2021, 04:49 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts

My recollection is the package also included PASM. Sport exhaust, 19in wheels and a few other options as standard
Old 11-21-2021, 04:56 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by zedcat
My recollection is the package also included PASM. Sport exhaust, 19in wheels and a few other options as standard
That's correct. PASM, Sport Seats, PSE, 19's, GT3 black highlight exterior package, alcantara interior wheel, headliner and shift boot. I think there's something else, but can't remember. PASM and PSE in particular are very exciting options for me as the North East roads will appreciate the softest suspension option, and the ability to activate/deactivate the sport exhaust also is huge now that I'm not a kid and would enjoy some longer drives.

Quick Reply: Just tested an '08 CSS. Are these obvious signs to run?