Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updating the shifter / cables in a 987.2 CS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 PM
tripedal
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So I'm considering going for the Numeric shifter cage (given the current deals). Plan is to pair it with fresh OE cables and updated OE kit with new shifter brackets. Question, does the "shift alignment tool" (green plastic one) work on the numeric cage? I suspect not since it's made for the factory shifter box to assist in aligning things. Trying to come up with a shopping list of what I need!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:36 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

don't know if we're talking about the same numeric shifter, but on my 2007 cayman 2.7l 987.1 the numeric shifter bolted right in and i simply reattached the existing cables. i set it up for the shortest throw possible and layed back shifter angle at max. i didn't need to cut the carpet.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:49 AM
zuch
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

No, the factory centering tool does not work with the Numeric shifter. You don't really need the tool, its sole purpose is to center the shifter. You can eyeball the centering and get it close enough, which is all you need. The centering doesn't impact shift quality, assuming you aren't so far off that you can't get to some of the gears. You can also center the shifter after everything else is hooked up without impacting anything else.

Last edited by zuch; 11-28-2021 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by zuch:
Numeric Racing (12-03-2021), Smudo (11-29-2021), tripedal (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 10:06 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 327 Posts

So I'm considering going for the Numeric shifter cage (given the current deals)

@tripedal Can you elaborate on "current deals"?

Never mind, I see some Black Friday bundle prices on the Numeric website.

Last edited by harveyf; 11-28-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:20 AM
zuch
Instructor

If you also get the Numeric cables, definitely get their installation wrench.
The following 2 users liked this post by zuch:
cavediver32043 (11-30-2021), tripedal (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 10:54 PM
tripedal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zuch
If you also get the Numeric cables, definitely get their installation wrench.
Does it assist with OE cable install also? Thanks for the input!!
Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 AM
zuch
Instructor

No, the OE cables have a different attachment method.
The following users liked this post:
tripedal (11-29-2021)
Old 02-28-2022, 10:35 PM
tripedal
Intermediate

@zuch or anyone else - I was wondering if someone could clear up another couple of related questions:

1) Looking at the parts "katalog" (file name: KAT034_RDW_GB_987C-2.pdf) section 701-00, I see the updated shift cables (987 424 042 12), the updated left hand side support bracket (987 424 065 01), and the updated lever (981 424 023 00). I can't seem to find adjustable cable end and the fixed cable end (1 each) that go on the shift lever side of the cables as separate parts. Are they included with the updated cable set? Suncoast shows them as separate parts, but I have no idea what the part numbers are - any help? Link to suncoast adjustable and fixed cable ends are:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9XXCABLE.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99642414700.html

2) I sometimes have trouble shifting into reverse, like I can't get the lever over to the left enough in the detent to engage it. I am thinking to replace the Joint Rod (987 424 131 10), the connecting rod (987 424 035 10), and the reverse lever (987 424 037 00). Does anyone know if these parts are all replaceable without dropping the transmission? I understand that the connecting rod and reverse lever are "on top" of the transmission....

Thank you in advance for any help!

Old 03-01-2022, 03:12 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Those three linkage parts can be replaced on the car, yes. Though it can be really hard to get the joint rod on and off working under the car, let me tell you…

The connecting rod only actuates the round weight that is there to give the fore-aft shift more heft. That has nothing to do with your shifting issue.

Unless the other two parts have significant play, though, they are also probably not your problem. It’s easy enough to check them for play and I doubt you’ll find much. Probably you should start by doing the shift cable adjustment at the shifter, if it’s too far off center you can have the problem you describe.

Last edited by MrMoose; 03-01-2022 at 12:29 PM.
tripedal (03-03-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 08:27 AM
zuch
Instructor

Are you looking for these: 996 424 145 01 and 996 424 147 00? I'm running the Numeric Racing shifter and cables which use a different connection mechanism to the shifter so unfortunately I can't be of more assistance. When I installed my NR cables, I remember them saying that you could reuse those parts from the OEM shifter if you wanted to just use the NR cables with the OEM shifter. My guess is that you can reuse the ones you have. It doesn't look like they come with the new Porsche cables.
tripedal (03-03-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 01:46 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tripedal
@zuch or anyone else - I was wondering if someone could clear up another couple of related questions:

1) Looking at the parts "katalog" (file name: KAT034_RDW_GB_987C-2.pdf) section 701-00, I see the updated shift cables (987 424 042 12), the updated left hand side support bracket (987 424 065 01), and the updated lever (981 424 023 00). I can't seem to find adjustable cable end and the fixed cable end (1 each) that go on the shift lever side of the cables as separate parts. Are they included with the updated cable set? Suncoast shows them as separate parts, but I have no idea what the part numbers are - any help? Link to suncoast adjustable and fixed cable ends are:
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU9XXCABLE.html
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99642414700.html
If you are updating to the new cable and the associated bracket and lever, but not the shifter, than I think it makes sense for you to assess the condition of the above two linked parts.

Subject to that appraisal, you may decide to replace one or both. I'm sorry, but I don't have the PN for either.
tripedal (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 10:51 PM
tripedal
Intermediate

Those three linkage parts can be replaced on the car, yes. Though it can be really hard to get the joint rod on and off working under the car, let me tell you…
The connecting rod only actuates the round weight that is there to give the fore-aft shift more heft. That has nothing to do with your shifting issue.
Unless the other two parts have significant play, though, they are also probably not your problem. It’s easy enough to check them for play and I doubt you’ll find much. Probably you should start by doing the shift cable adjustment at the shifter, if it’s too far off center you can have the problem you describe.
@MrMoose Wonderful - thank you so much for the advice. I'll be paying my mechanic to do this, so the PITA factor is lessened for me - and doing this on a lift I'm sure is easier than at home on jack stands!

Are you looking for these: 996 424 145 01 and 996 424 147 00? I'm running the Numeric Racing shifter and cables which use a different connection mechanism to the shifter so unfortunately I can't be of more assistance. When I installed my NR cables, I remember them saying that you could reuse those parts from the OEM shifter if you wanted to just use the NR cables with the OEM shifter. My guess is that you can reuse the ones you have. It doesn't look like they come with the new Porsche cables.

@zuch Yes - those look correct! Thank you for this. To be clear - I purchased a Numeric Racing shifter + cage, am I assuming incorrectly that these two cable end/connector parts will work with the Numeric Racing shifter cage + shift mechanism? My goal was to update the cage/shifter but still use the Porsche cables (albeit updated ones). I may have made a major mistake in assuming the two are compatible, yikes. Reason I didn't want the Numeric cables was to keep shift action / effort as light as possible, and have no extra NVH added.

If you are updating to the new cable and the associated bracket and lever, but not the shifter, than I think it makes sense for you to assess the condition of the above two linked parts.
Subject to that appraisal, you may decide to replace one or both. I'm sorry, but I don't have the PN for either.

@The Duke Makes sense. Although now based on Zuch's reply from above, I am doubting if the Numeric Shifter + cage will work with the OE cables

I'm going to reach out to NR now to clarify this. Thank you all for the very helpful and detailed answers.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I just checked the Numeric site and they do have an install video + guide, shows the shifter works with OE cables and connectors.

Last edited by tripedal; 03-03-2022 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:02 AM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Previous owner had mine updated to the new OE cables when the stock broke. I had the numeric short shifter installed by a shop with no problem. I opted to keep the OE cables since they were updated and I also didn't want the additional NVH the Numeric cables might've introduced.
tripedal (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 08:36 AM
zuch
Instructor

Didn't mean to scare you. You can mix/match shifter/cables. The ends are different on the NR cables but either those or the OEM cables will work with their shifter (or the OEM shifter).
tripedal (03-04-2022)
Old 03-04-2022, 11:44 AM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by tripedal
@MrMoose Wonderful - thank you so much for the advice. I'll be paying my mechanic to do this, so the PITA factor is lessened for me - and doing this on a lift I'm sure is easier than at home on jack stands!
Before you spend time and money replacing the joint rod and reverse lever, I would suggest just checking them. IIRC you can just do this with the car on the ground if you're a little flexible.

Put the car in any gear and get under the right rear corner of the car: you should see the cable end attached to the reverse lever at the transmission. You can see how it works: moving the shifter left and right moves the cable forward and back. This rotates the reverse lever, and moves the joint rod left and right across the top of the transmission. They shouldn't really call it the "reverse lever", honestly, because it's not just for reverse...it lets you select all the gears to the left and right of the 3-4 gate.

Now grab the reverse lever and try to rotate it. You'll probably feel a little play but not much: that's the combined play of the reverse lever, joint rod, and transmission input. If that's all relatively tight then the parts are okay and not worth replacing, just have your mechanic do the shift lever centering and cable length adjustment at the shifter itself.
tripedal (03-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Updating the shifter / cables in a 987.2 CS