Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Direct Lift and Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 05:19 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Direct Lift and Cayman?

Just installed a new Direct Lift DL9 with asymmetric arms. Well, cannot figure out a way to get the arms under the cayman. Based on my research, this lift came very highly recommended but I am wondering if I need to get different arms or something? Anyone have one and anyone have the trick to get it lined up? Didnt have this issue with my last two post lift!
Old 09-30-2021, 09:15 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

"minimum pad height" (not sure that's what you're talking about here) for dl9 two post is 3.625"

i'd measure the lift point height above the ground on your cayman. it can vary from factory specs depending on springs, dampers, air pressure, wheel diameter and sidewall height. maybe a few more...

if all else fails you could drive the car up on four two foot sections of 2x12's. PITA, i know, but.... *shrug*

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 09-30-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:53 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

It’s actually not the pad height. It’s the arms…I cannot get them on the proper jack points no matter what direction I have the car and how much I try to move it around.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:44 AM
Rocket3004
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting... care to post a pic? It may help to trouble shoot. I'm not sure about the asymmetric arms, but usually there is enough adjustability to get it on the lift. This may not really work, but you have tried both directions (meaning nose in vs tail in).. with the asymmetric arms, maybe that is an issue??

Old 10-01-2021, 08:37 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket3004
Interesting... care to post a pic? It may help to trouble shoot. I'm not sure about the asymmetric arms, but usually there is enough adjustability to get it on the lift. This may not really work, but you have tried both directions (meaning nose in vs tail in).. with the asymmetric arms, maybe that is an issue??
Ill take some pics and post them. Yes, tried the car both directions…and have tried moving it all over - more forward; backward; side to side. My last lift was an Atlas baseplate and once i figured out the right alignment, it’s as simple going forward. This one is an overhead (loved getting ride of that baseplate) and has asymmetric arms which my research showed was a benefit. So far wondering if I will need a different arm kit or something… frustrating!
Old 10-01-2021, 10:25 AM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

is this an accurate pic of the lift and arms?

https://bencoequipment.com/wp-conten...2-896x1024.jpg

if so, the arms may be too long. even when fully collapsed they may not fit a small narrow car like a cayman. after all, there are limits.

if i'm thinking correctly, as it stands you should at least be able to get the two front arms on the lift points (even when set as short as possible) and then the two back ones will be too long even when set to the shortest length. and if you fit the two rear ones first then the two front ones will be too long. if that's the case you'll be needing at least two arms that are shorter or set the posts further apart, which may not be possible, as i see there is cross piece at the top that may be of fixed length. i'm just guessing here.

BTW, (and trust me, i'm not trying to insult your intelligence here..., but) if the lift is supposed to have asymmetrical arms, they need to be different front and rear. the short pair in front in front and the long pair in the rear. they may have sent you two sets of the long ones. you never know....

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 10-01-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:34 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I use an asymmetric lift and with the short arms in front at about a 90 degree angle to the posts and I can get the lift point of the arm to the proper jack point of the car.

In the rear there is no way to get the rear arm lift points to meet the rear jack points. I use lift pucks or hockey pucks sitting on the OUTER portion of the telescoping arm.

If you decide to try this please check with the lift manufacturer first to confirm that it is acceptable to lift from that portion of the arm.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:07 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Finally found a position I was able to get it lined up. Car has to be perfectly placed and there is 0 tolerance. I’ll keep exploring options but at least I know I can do it now. Only prob now is that the lift won’t lower…so will trouble shoot that today!

The following users liked this post:
The Duke (10-03-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 04:10 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice garage!
Miggytosh (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 08:57 AM
Robert Nixon
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts

you probably already know this, but the first thing to check if it won't lower is to follow the lift instructions, typically raising from the stopping point, then releasing the safety stop, and then lowering.
Snakebit (10-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 10:34 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Nixon
you probably already know this, but the first thing to check if it won't lower is to follow the lift instructions, typically raising from the stopping point, then releasing the safety stop, and then lowering.
Yes...thanks. I had checked the safety stops on Saturday and they appeared to be working correctly. Sunday I brought the wife out and had her operate them while checking the cable on the opposite side and it was the issue. Adjusted the cable and everything working well now. Next up is figuring out the best position for the 993!
The following 2 users liked this post by skl2:
Miggytosh (10-04-2021), Robert Nixon (10-05-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 03:34 AM
Rocket3004
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice garage

Boy that clearance is CLOSE on the rocker panels. Glad you got it to work! Does Direct lifts offer different arms if needed?
Old 10-08-2021, 06:33 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket3004
Nice garage

Boy that clearance is CLOSE on the rocker panels. Glad you got it to work! Does Direct lifts offer different arms if needed?
tell me about it. Me too! I talked to direct lift this week and they do not have alternative arm options, so I told my supplier I’d sell this if they have a customer and likely buy a rotary with the lower profile arms. Not necessary but would be nice I think.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:41 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

A short to intermediate term option could be to buy these jack pads that fit securely at the car's lift points.

Using them would raise your car approx 1 1/2" giving you additional clearance, https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1178596

I'm not associated with the vendor, but I use them on my car whenever I use a floor jack.

Of course, you could also go in the other direction and increase the pad thickness on your jack pads.

Last edited by The Duke; 10-08-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:05 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Duke
A short to intermediate term option could be to buy these jack pads that fit securely at the car's lift points.

Using them would raise your car approx 1 1/2" giving you additional clearance, https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1178596

I'm not associated with the vendor, but I use them on my car whenever I use a floor jack.

Of course, you could also go in the other direction and increase the pad thickness on your jack pads.
thanks. My issue is more about clearance of the lift arms under the rockers because my cars are lowered. 987 is tight. 993 at RS height is fine. I’m thinking some low profile race ramps will work well to get the car up 2” or so and then the arms will swing fine. Pads on the lift are adjustable up and down so that is nice too.

Quick Reply: Direct Lift and Cayman?