Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know it’s a Porche forum but…

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

If you can find the VIN, go to https://vinanalytics.com/ and type the last 5 digits (or the whole thing) there. You will see the original build and MSRP.

Are you looking for a sports car with lots of feedback or a sporty looking car with a more comfortable ride? I only ask this because the 5 cars you have listed (including the vette) covers the entire array.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:09 PM
987cs
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zahmed
I am looking at a 2009 Base with about 47k miles. Carfax and auto check both show it as clear. The asking price is $30k. It’s a manual. Description is as follows:** MANUAL TRANSMISSION **

** POWER SEAT PKG **

** HEATED SEATS **

** NAVIGATION **

** BOSE SURROUND SOUND **

** 18" PREMIUM WHEELS **

** UNIVERSAL AUDIO INTERFACE **

What does universal audio interface mean? Car Play? Bluetooth?

Are there questions I should ask?
That sounds like a pretty good deal for the current market if it's a clean car. Highly recommend finding a local indy mechanic that specializes in Porsches to do a pre purchase inspection (PPI) for ~$200 or so to uncover any potential issues. Some dealers will do PPIs also. Either can pull a "DME" or overrev report which will tell you if the engine has spent time past redline. Here's an example
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...range-4-a.html

Universal audio is just a 3.5mm jack in the center console. These cars don't do bluetooth audio from the factory unfortunately. The bluetooth is only for handsfree phone

Last edited by 987cs; 06-14-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:15 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by 987cs
That sounds like a pretty good deal for the current market if it's a clean car. Highly recommend finding a local indy mechanic that specializes in Porsches to do a pre purchase inspection (PPI) for ~$200 or so to uncover any potential issues. Some dealers will do PPIs also. Either can pull a "DME" or overrev report which will tell you if the engine has spent time past redline. Here's an example
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...range-4-a.html

Universal audio is just a 3.5mm jack in the center console. These cars don't do bluetooth audio from the factory unfortunately. The bluetooth is only for handsfree phone
+1, unlikely you will find a better deal in this market for a 987.2 base 6MT. I'd jump on this one right away and be ready to move fast should it check out.
Old 06-14-2021, 02:39 PM
Zahmed
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Lost it! While I was waiting to decide, it got sold to someone else. Can’t find any 2009+ with under 50k miles anywhere.

A 2007 is available right here in town. The listing and the guys comments below.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=581629537

And here is more more info on the car:
- The accident reported on the VIN was from the previous owner, I don't have details on it, but there is no visible or mechanical evidence of it that I can see. When I had the car inspected, the mechanic was surprised that it was reported.
- There is no lien on the car
- I bought the car while living in Texas and have moved to St. Louis. The headliner is fine, and I've been living in apartment buildings with climate controlled garages the whole time.
- There is a light scratch on the right rear fender, and a scratch on the front left wheel
- The ABS buttons do tend to wear on these cars, and there is some of that here. Otherwise there is a little wear on the center console and a light scratch on the steering wheel
- The engine is in good shape, no smoke or noises
- Original IMS
- Previous owner put a fresh clutch on it
- Original pump
- The previous owner didn't have the full records but I have kept all of mine. I did another oil change myself, and also have had the drive belt replaced and new tie rods added due to some wear. Also a new frunk latch and windshield fluid pump.
- Other than some general upkeep there have not been any significant mechanical issues.

What do you think?
Old 06-14-2021, 02:50 PM
987cs
Intermediate

Lost it! While I was waiting to decide, it got sold to someone else. Can’t find any 2009+ with under 50k miles anywhere.

A 2007 is available right here in town. The listing and the guys comments below.

- The accident reported on the VIN was from the previous owner, I don't have details on it, but there is no visible or mechanical evidence of it that I can see. When I had the car inspected, the mechanic was surprised that it was reported.
- I bought the car while living in Texas and have moved to St. Louis. The headliner is fine, and I've been living in apartment buildings with climate controlled garages the whole time.
- There is a light scratch on the right rear fender, and a scratch on the front left wheel
- The ABS buttons do tend to wear on these cars, and there is some of that here. Otherwise there is a little wear on the center console and a light scratch on the steering wheel
- Original IMS
- Original pump
- The previous owner didn't have the full records but I have kept all of mine. I did another oil change myself, and also have had the drive belt replaced and new tie rods added due to some wear. Also a new frunk latch and windshield fluid pump.
- Other than some general upkeep there have not been any significant mechanical issues.

What do you think?
Seems slightly expensive for the accident history and condition, but if it checks out it could be a fine deal especially for this market. Get a PPI done, it may help you negotiate the price down a bit also if anything needs to be taken care of. Looks like you are in St Louis. Maybe someone local can comment but based on the PCA St Louis region website ET Tuning is a sponsor and looks like they could help you
https://www.ettuning.com/
Old 06-14-2021, 03:06 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

- Original IMS
- Original pump

What do you think?
Re: your comment about not finding many 987.2 with less than 50k miles....I wouldn't be too concerned about any well maintained 987.2 fwiw, even one above 100k miles. The 9A1 engine has proven to be extremely reliable. There just aren't enough 987.2s out there to whittle your search down even more by ignoring higher mileage 987.2s. Just my two cents from having owned 3 9A1 cars over the last 5 years, ranging from 15-85k mile examples.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:11 PM
987cs
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Re: your comment about not finding many 987.2 with less than 50k miles....I wouldn't be too concerned about any well maintained 987.2 fwiw, even one above 100k miles. The 9A1 engine has proven to be extremely reliable. There just aren't enough 987.2s out there to whittle your search down even more by ignoring higher mileage 987.2s. Just my two cents from having owned 3 9A1 cars over the last 5 years, ranging from 15-85k mile examples.
Agreed. Bought mine with 75k and it's approaching 90k with no issues, including a few track days each year. They are rock solid as long as they have been maintained. If you find a seller with a well documented car I wouldn't think twice.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I am selling my 2013 Corvette this Tuesday and will have about $32k available to shop for another. The Corvette C6 was great on extended road trips (I did 5790 miles in 19 days driving out west) but it’s not my cup of tea in city driving averaging only about 14-15 mpg (on my trip I averaged 26 mpg) and, frankly, I don’t have much faith in American cars. Over the past 6 years, I have had a 2016, Mazda MX-5, 2 Nissan 370Z and the Corvette. I retired 6 years ago and started into coupes.

Now, I am shopping and have the following cars available at the $32k price. A 2020 Mazda MX-5 RF, a 2018 Infiniti Q60 3.0, a 2017/RC350 and a 2008 Porche Cayman S, all with under 30k miles and clear Carfax.

Now, I know this is a Porche Forum so I don’t know if someone can be objective about it. I am 72 and just under 6’4”, 200+ lbs but I did barely fit in the Mazda MX-5 but it’s a hoot to drive in the city. I do occasionally take 600+ long distance trips but it’s going to be a DD.

I suppose the Porche is going to be the most expensive to maintain but I hear they are solid and I have no intention to track anyway.

Your advice is appreciated.
Have you ever had a Porsche before? If not, I’d make sure you drive a few and experience the car firsthand. They are boring if driven in a boring fashion, making for a good plain old car alternative, daily driver, etc.

But if you can push it a little, experience the handing, you might find it’s quite compelling.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (06-14-2021)
Old 06-16-2021, 02:58 PM
Zahmed
Advanced

A couple of questions as I close to a decision to buy a Porche Cayman.

iI am 6’4. I tried a 2006 Boxer and the fit was uncomfortable.

I have never sat in a Cayman. Went to the Porche dealer in town and he has the newer Caymans. The fit was fantastic. Seat went way back, steering wheel could be adjusted and my knees were fine.

I am looking at a 2008 Cayman S, a 2009 Base Cayman. Would either of these cars fit? Is there a space difference among these cars? Plan on offering $32.5k for either.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:54 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

A couple of questions as I close to a decision to buy a Porche Cayman.

iI am 6’4. I tried a 2006 Boxer and the fit was uncomfortable.

I have never sat in a Cayman. Went to the Porche dealer in town and he has the newer Caymans. The fit was fantastic. Seat went way back, steering wheel could be adjusted and my knees were fine.

I am looking at a 2008 Cayman S, a 2009 Base Cayman. Would either of these cars fit? Is there a space difference among these cars? Plan on offering $32.5k for either.
Any other 987 Cayman or Boxster will fit the same as the 2006 you tried. The 981 and newer cars are a little bigger inside. The steering wheel is adjustable on the 987 as well.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:11 PM
Zahmed
Advanced

Just went and tried a 2008 Cayman S. I fir alright in it. Wonder why the Boxer felt smaller. In any case, while I was able to fit in it, the shop is asking way too much and I think that spoiler makes it look hideous. Still searching…

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB29808U780783

Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Just went and tried a 2008 Cayman S. I fir alright in it. Wonder why the Boxer felt smaller. In any case, while I was able to fit in it, the shop is asking way too much and I think that spoiler makes it look hideous. Still searching…

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP0AB29808U780783
lol @ that price. I think maybe they put the mileage as the price by accident.
The following users liked this post:
scootr (06-20-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 12:54 AM
Zahmed
Advanced

What would be an acceptable difference….buying a 2008 Cayman or pay how much more for a 2010 Cayman, assuming about 40k mikes and clear Carfax? Would $6k or $8k or what. Both being AT.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

I think you're going to have a much harder time finding a 2010 (aka 987.2) because they are even more desirable. So, finding one will be the big problem... for this reason, cost may likely be higher as well...
Old 06-17-2021, 11:53 AM
dbarry
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As to your comment on fit in the 2006 Boxster - this may not be fact, but when I was looking last year I found that the steering wheel only moved up and down not in and out on 2006 and likely older ones. My 2008 Boxster's wheel moves in all directions which definitely makes ones position more comfy. So you might retry a Boxster - as top down fun is really nice!!!

Quick Reply: I know it’s a Porche forum but…