Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random smoke during hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 05:23 AM
michaelh88
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random smoke during hard acceleration

Hi

I'm new to the forum and need some advice regarding my smoking 2006 Boxster 2.7. I was getting smoke on start up and frequent random huge smoke clouds when driving the car hard past 5k rpm. I replaced the AOS and cleaned out the oily air intake. There was no more smoke on start up and when completing short trips for 2 weeks. I decided to take it for a drive yesterday for around 10-15 miles to check if it would smoke again under harder acceleration in the higher rev range. I was driving it hard and I was really pleased that the issue seemed to have resolved but towards the end of the drive I took it past 6k rpm and boom... A huge cloud of smoke, I had to pull over and wait for ages for it to burn off/stop. I then drove it home and it stopped smoking again. When I got home I turned off the ignition and turned it back on again, another cloud of smoke came out the exhaust. It's thick white smoke with a strong/strange smell, I thought I found a bit of oil in the tailpipe after the drive but I can't be sure. There's no engine lights or fault codes. Like I say the car drives normally, it's just when it's driven very hard and something seems to drop or spill into the system somewhere and the puff of smoke comes, it clears within a day and everything is normal until the next time...

Could it be:

> left over residue I haven't cleaned out of the air system? I stripped and cleaned all the pieces I could access.
> I topped up the oil recently and I wonder if I over filled it - would this cause oil to leak in the engine/exhaust chamber under hard acceleration? Does this also mean I need to replace the AOS again?
> Something more serious?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mike

Old 06-08-2021, 08:19 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm not an expert, but in my reading I have heard that a non-OEM AOS can be bad from the start, or fail VERY quickly. What brand AOS did you get for the replacement?

I've also heard that overfilling can cause the AOS to have to work "harder" and therefore fail more quickly, so you certainly should address any overfill, if that has happened.

Any noises coming from the engine? How many miles? (I figure these are questions others may also ask.)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:51 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Sounds like you over filled. What does the oil gauge show?
Old 06-08-2021, 10:11 AM
michaelh88
5th Gear

Than

Last edited by michaelh88; 06-10-2021 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:18 AM
michaelh88
5th Gear

Thanks for the replies. It was replaced with a new and genuine AOS about 150 miles ago.

It has 81k FSH, I don't recognise and funny/strange sounds from the engine but it's my first Porsche so I'm not 100% sure what sound is right and wrong but there's nothing obvious.

I think I have overfilled it, I'll need to empty some today! Thanks.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:28 AM
Mansu944
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

What does the gauge read?
The following users liked this post:
ekam (06-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Random smoke during hard acceleration