Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuing no-start issue. Have tried everything. Open to any and all suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 02:17 AM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Continuing no-start issue. Have tried everything. Open to any and all suggestions.

Hi everybody, I have a 2005 Boxster base 2.7l 6sp manual with 103.5k miles. I have had a no start issue since December and have done a lot to the car to attempt a fix. Car has no modifications, original radio, lights, everything. I have taken the car to a Porsche mechanic of 40 years and he even seems stumped on this one.

Main issue: Attempting to start- put key in, turn to accessory, lights come on, steering lock releases, all normal stuff is ok. Try to turn the key to start and car loses all power. Dash lights shut off, key gets stuck in lock and won’t come out until car randomly powers on hours later and releases it. Every time I replace an electrical component (battery, starter, alternator) the car will work perfect for a day then the same issue happens.

What I have fixed- all connections at battery cleaned with wire brush as well as connections at starter. Battery replaced first thing. Then replaced the alternator because it tested bad. Car worked fine for a day after alternator replacement. Then replaced starter motor. Again car worked perfect for 1 day afterwards then back to main issue. Car also has 2 extra grounds to frame on negative battery terminal.

Mechanic seems stumped and has never seen anything like this in his 37 years working on porsches. He suggested we try another new battery and an ignition switch. Gave him the green light for that but he didn’t seem like he thought it would solve the issue, just a good first step he said.

Attached is a video of my issue I uploaded to YouTube. PLEASE WATCH UNTIL END! Only 30 seconds. Issue happens at 22 seconds mark

It will show the entire issue.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, I have searched the forums for days and days and slightly similar issues seem to be solved by a starter relay (7), ignition switch, immobilizer, ECU replacement, battery cables themselves, cable from positive terminal to starter however I am fixing this on an ICU nurse salary which means I can’t afford to keep throwing $500 Bosch parts at this thing. Any and all suggestions would be so helpful. Thank you everyone!

Last edited by Robertf1997; 04-20-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:32 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Looks like your battery needs full recharging and, if this is not enough, replacement.
You have done that, and replaced other parts; despite these actions, battery dies after one day.
So you must have a short-circuit somewhere that drains the battery in one day.
My suggestion:
  • Put the battery (it is "new", right?) on a "battery maintainer/charger" to fully recharge it;
  • Once the battery is fully charged, start the car; it should fire up.
  • Then leave the car 24 hours without touching it;
  • Then try to start the car again; if it does not start, it is clear you have something draining the battery: some form of short-circuit or "very parasitic load".
One odd thing I observed in the video, the fuel gauge remains "connected" even when all the dashboard lights go off!
Also, how good are the "2 extra grounds to frame on negative battery terminal"? What is their purpose? Could they be the source of the battery drain? Have you tried removing them (temporarily)?

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 04-20-2021 at 03:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robertf1997 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 AM
cmassler
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do these cars have a DME? I had some really bizarre ‘running’ issues on a 944 I owned when the DME was going bad.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:14 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

So everything is fine until you try to engage the starter? Have you checked the ground strap from the angine to chassis? This just smells like a grounds issue. Sounds like your mechanic does too if he has added grounds from the battery.

The next thing I would try is connecting a jumper cable directly from the battery neg to the starter frame, see if that solved the issue. That would Co firm if its a grounding issue.

Last edited by jscott82; 04-20-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:26 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertf1997
He suggested we try another new battery and an ignition switch. Gave him the green light for that but he didn’t seem like he thought it would solve the issue, just a good first step he said.
I lean to the ignition switch being the problem based on the behaviors in the video and what I've personally seen from other owners of these cars. I think your mechanic is going in the right direction. Hope it works!
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
Quix (04-21-2021), Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 11:43 AM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

I know this is going to sound like a dumb answer, but I had something similar. I would turn the key and car would not even try to start. (My electronics stayed on though.) I found that if I pushed the key into the ignition a bit harder, it solved the issue. Haven't had an issue since over the past 6 months. Odd, not sure how to explain it.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:35 PM
qwe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The routine that your dash info is going through in the video does not seem the same as my 2012 BS. The example, at the very end, the clock resets itself to 12.00 from 12.01 and the fuel gauge stays on. Not sure where that leads to.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:54 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Also, how good are the "2 extra grounds to frame on negative battery terminal"? What is their purpose? Could they be the source of the battery drain? Have you tried removing them (temporarily)?
That all sounded great until you asked whether adding grounds could be the cause of the issue. It can't. You could add a million additional grounds without any negative impact.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 02:18 PM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That all sounded great until you asked whether adding grounds could be the cause of the issue. It can't. You could add a million additional grounds without any negative impact.
You are absolutely right ..... if the grounding cable or mesh is installed properly; if it contacts a "live" wire (or part) on the way, then you might have a "negative impact" (from the unwanted connection to the positive).
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jscott82
So everything is fine until you try to engage the starter? Have you checked the ground strap from the angine to chassis? This just smells like a grounds issue. Sounds like your mechanic does too if he has added grounds from the battery.

The next thing I would try is connecting a jumper cable directly from the battery neg to the starter frame, see if that solved the issue. That would Co firm if its a grounding issue.

I’ve heard of this ground strap before and it seems like a good place to check regardless of whether the newly installed ignition switch solves the issue. Could you tell me exactly where to find it? I can’t find any images of it anywhere.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:38 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Underneath the car passengers idle.
Robertf1997 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:13 PM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
Looks like your battery needs full recharging and, if this is not enough, replacement.
You have done that, and replaced other parts; despite these actions, battery dies after one day.
So you must have a short-circuit somewhere that drains the battery in one day.
My suggestion:
  • Put the battery (it is "new", right?) on a "battery maintainer/charger" to fully recharge it;
  • Once the battery is fully charged, start the car; it should fire up.
  • Then leave the car 24 hours without touching it;
  • Then try to start the car again; if it does not start, it is clear you have something draining the battery: some form of short-circuit or "very parasitic load".
One odd thing I observed in the video, the fuel gauge remains "connected" even when all the dashboard lights go off!
A brand new battery was placed yesterday along with an ignition switch. As of now the car is working as it should but we will see. I wonder if the fuel gauge staying on was in fact the ignition switch keeping it in, or if it’s just a short and all power was lost, including power to put the indicator back to zero. I’ll keep everybody posted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robertf1997:
daylorb (04-22-2021), Snakebit (04-22-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 02:13 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Originally Posted by Robertf1997
A brand new battery was placed yesterday along with an ignition switch. As of now the car is working as it should but we will see. I wonder if the fuel gauge staying on was in fact the ignition switch keeping it in, or if it’s just a short and all power was lost, including power to put the indicator back to zero. I’ll keep everybody posted.
Any positive news?
Robertf1997 (05-05-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 10:32 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Key in Ignition

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-t-get-in.html
Post 26 in the above thread.

I don't know that the OP has ever done this, but I think it needs mentioning for anyone following along with batt drain issues that it is a no-no to leave the key in the ignition when car is parked and left.
Robertf1997 (05-05-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:01 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

First thing I do if that happens, turn off the car, put a DVM in 10 A Amperage mode between the positive battery terminal and the cable, basically in series to the positive cable, and measure the leaking current. Seems to me if it works for a day, you have some current being drawn when there shouldn't.
The following 2 users liked this post by alvitdk:
burnergt4 (04-24-2021), Robertf1997 (05-05-2021)

Quick Reply: Continuing no-start issue. Have tried everything. Open to any and all suggestions.