Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuing no-start issue. Have tried everything. Open to any and all suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:39 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by alvitdk
First thing I do if that happens, turn off the car, put a DVM in 10 A Amperage mode between the positive battery terminal and the cable, basically in series to the positive cable, and measure the leaking current. Seems to me if it works for a day, you have some current being drawn when there shouldn't.
If I'm checking for a drain, I put the DVM in series with the ground (negative) connection at the battery.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveG:
burnergt4 (04-24-2021), Robertf1997 (05-05-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 12:21 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG
If I'm checking for a drain, I put the DVM in series with the ground (negative) connection at the battery.
Either way will work, but it's what I would strat with before keep replacing things.
The following users liked this post:
Robertf1997 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Continued issues

Alright everybody a quick update. New ignition switch and battery seemed to solve the issue for about 10 days, starting every single day, drove perfect, etc etc and then suddenly same issue. Click, all power lost, key stuck in lock, car won’t move or give any power at all. I’m at my wits end with the issue, I’ll hear any more ideas but after spending several thousand and not having the car fixed I think it’s finally time for the dealership and to spend big $$. I’ve been told to have them check the power distribution module for corrosion so I will be sure to mention that. If anyone can recommend a dealer near Montgomery county, Maryland that is honest I would appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Robertf1997
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PROBLEM SOLVED!! 4 months later!! Late January- May

Hi everybody, finally figured out what the issue was 4 months later. Issue turned out to be the post that attaches into the power distribution box having corrosion leading to a bad connection and all sorts of electrical issues. Reading online it seems to happen in caymans sometimes but I’ve never seen or heard of it in a Boxster. Box is located near the firewall and dash must be removed to access. I’m looking at a $2000-3000 bill due to 10 hours labor and parts being $800 by themselves but I am relieved to say my car is working again. Garage is going to install an upgrade so that it’ll have better contact and I will never have this issue ever again.

Thanks for all the help, Rob.

Last edited by Robertf1997; 05-20-2021 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:29 AM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Ouch! But I guess it will be nice to have the peace of mind.

​​​​​Hmmmm, so they remove the dash...... I'm thinking while that dash is out that I would have the Heater/AC blend door serviced for that very common issue of foam-deterioration. Have you noticed any little pieces of foam ever blow out of your vents? Very common on our 987 generation. (I too have a 2005 Base Boxster)
Robertf1997 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:32 AM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertf1997
Hi everybody, finally figured out what the issue was 4 months later. Issue turned out to be the post that attaches into the power distribution box having corrosion leading to a bad connection and all sorts of electrical issues. Reading online it seems to happen in caymans sometimes but I’ve never seen or heard of it in a Boxster. Box is located near the firewall and dash must be removed to access. I’m looking at a $2000-3000 bill due to 10 hours labor and parts being $800 by themselves but I am relieved to say my car is working again. Garage is going to install an upgrade so that it’ll have better contact and I will never have this issue ever again.

I come from 928 ownership and electrical issues that sound generally similar (age and corrosion), do you think your situation could have been avoided by attention to looking for corrosion? It sounds like the box you refer to is not in plane sight.

Would love to see a picture of the box.
Robertf1997 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 04:46 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,016 Posts
Talking That's "right"!

I can't blame you for getting the "right" people for the "right job". It boils down to choosing your battles. There are many things on these cars that the average DiY'er can't repair, but there comes a time when it's best to hire a professional that works on these cars daily.

It's having the right person, with the right experience, with the right tools repairing our cars. Alrighty then? lol

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 05-20-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Robertf1997 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:53 AM
Joan Alcover
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts

Glad you finally found the source of the problem and were able to correct it.
Electrical problems can be a nightmare, especially if "additional connections" (including additional grounding wiring) have been added to your car by third parties ..... without a complete log of what was done.

I remember writing the following on April 20, 2021:
Originally Posted by Joan Alcover
You are absolutely right ..... if the grounding cable or mesh is installed properly; if it contacts a "live" wire (or part) on the way, then you might have a "negative impact" (from the unwanted connection to the positive).
Hope the weather is good and you can now enjoy driving your car!
Here, at 5,000 feet, it has been snowing ever since I replaced the winter tyres with the summer ones; real PITA!

Last edited by Joan Alcover; 05-21-2021 at 04:55 AM.
Robertf1997 (05-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Continuing no-start issue. Have tried everything. Open to any and all suggestions.