Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price for a 987.2 Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 03:16 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I will probably be selling my Atlas Gray 987.1 in the summer of 2022. Might have to go with BAT if the momentum holds.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
Interesting. I will probably be selling my Atlas Gray 987.1 in the summer of 2022. Might have to go with BAT if the momentum holds.
​​​​​​Well now you just jinxed it.

I predict the used car market will cool off once the majority of the workforce is busy again and people start focusing more on new cars. But that'll be Q4 of this year at the earliest, I reckon.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:42 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I wanted to give a quick update: I bought the "other car" that was on my list, a 2017 BMW M240i. I got a very good deal on it. I know what I'm giving up by going this route, but I actually replaced my daily with this car. I want to see what the 987.2 market does, and take my time for the exact specs I want.

This 987.2 S will be very interesting to watch. Wrong color combo for me, and the DME is a little scary. Admittedly I have much to learn about engine hours since scary numbers.

I'll still hang around here because of the knowledge this board exudes, and someday there WILL be a Cayman next to the Bimmer.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:44 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by zstokes
I wanted to give a quick update: I bought the "other car" that was on my list, a 2017 BMW M240i. I got a very good deal on it. I know what I'm giving up by going this route, but I actually replaced my daily with this car. I want to see what the 987.2 market does, and take my time for the exact specs I want.

This 987.2 S will be very interesting to watch. Wrong color combo for me, and the DME is a little scary. Admittedly I have much to learn about engine hours since scary numbers.

I'll still hang around here because of the knowledge this board exudes, and someday there WILL be a Cayman next to the Bimmer.
95% of the upcoming discussions will revolve around all those over-revs, and rightfully so IMO. I personally wouldn't consider any car that has revs above range 3.

Congrats on the M240i!
Old 04-02-2021, 04:44 PM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems like M240i is a great option as a driver's car in this price range, congrats
I agree, there might be some sort of story since the number of cycles in range 3 is lower* than 4-6 but personally wouldn't bother.

Last edited by lain09; 04-02-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:51 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
95% of the upcoming discussions will revolve around all those over-revs, and rightfully so IMO. I personally wouldn't consider any car that has revs above range 3.

Congrats on the M240i!
Yeah. That car gets a "nope" from me. I'm guessing it has seen seen significant track use as well. The lack of proper .2 wheels that it came with (and apparently buckets) is a turn off. And the interior looks like they just sprayed tire shine all over everything. I would guess it goes for low 30's, but the DME report seems like it will be a total deal breaker for most buyers. No point in paying more for the .2 engine when its potentially damaged anyway.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:56 PM
lain09
Advanced

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Yeah. That car gets a "nope" from me. I'm guessing it has seen seen significant track use as well. The lack of proper .2 wheels that it came with (and apparently buckets) is a turn off. And the interior looks like they just sprayed tire shine all over everything. I would guess it goes for low 30's, but the DME report seems like it will be a total deal breaker for most buyers. No point in paying more for the .2 engine when its potentially damaged anyway.
I noticed the same thing with the shiny paint for the interior pieces that are usually subject to scuffing. It looks like they painted the trim around the door handles and the center consoles.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:42 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lain09
I noticed the same thing with the shiny paint for the interior pieces that are usually subject to scuffing. It looks like they painted the trim around the door handles and the center consoles.
Yeah that's possible as well. My guess was some horrible interior dressing product judging by the slimy look of the radio.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 05:58 PM
lain09
Advanced

Originally Posted by sectachrome
Yeah that's possible as well. My guess was some horrible interior dressing product judging by the slimy look of the radio.
Only guessing as you don't see any black scuff marks anymore. Checking the pictures again, it looks like they took apart all the interior pieces they could take out to repaint it with the shiny paint - door handle and mirror trims, center console, ignition key surroundings?, pieces around the gauge cluster, the pieces that surround the engine cover, even the chrono clock shroud. Every other interior piece not painted seems to have been scuffed up, even the metal pieces between the seats.. and what's up with the red plastic piece inside the seat belt thing worn out? I didn't even notice it was supposed to have the sport bucket seats, aren't those like 5k+ option? All this with misaligned exhaust and DME report, I wouldn't touch this one but will follow to see how much it ends up going for. Not a lot of 987.2 come up on BAT.

Last edited by lain09; 04-02-2021 at 06:03 PM.
sectachrome (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 06:35 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Not to say others are right or wrong, but I don't think the DME is necessarily a deal-breaker if it wasn't recent. For example, the car I just got had revs in 4, 5, and 6... specifically 51 in range 6. However, these were about 800 hours ago, which calculates to about 20+k miles ago. People here and even the well-regarded shop I went to for the PPI agreed that since it was so long ago, it wasn't something to be concerned with. I agreed, and purchased the car. The shop and I agree the car runs GREAT... they didn't even expect to see any codes or DME issues, that's how nicely it runs (they found a few codes leftover from a previous repair, which they didn't expect - misfires likely due to a crank position sensor that was replaced some time ago).

Of course, this is my opinion... and I put my money where my mouth is, but many others agreed with me on this... so, my advice is not to worry about the DME by itself... look at the timing of the events and the rest of the car... again, this is just IMO.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:41 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Not to say others are right or wrong, but I don't think the DME is necessarily a deal-breaker if it wasn't recent. For example, the car I just got had revs in 4, 5, and 6... specifically 51 in range 6. However, these were about 800 hours ago, which calculates to about 20+k miles ago. People here and even the well-regarded shop I went to for the PPI agreed that since it was so long ago, it wasn't something to be concerned with. I agreed, and purchased the car. The shop and I agree the car runs GREAT... they didn't even expect to see any codes or DME issues, that's how nicely it runs (they found a few codes leftover from a previous repair, which they didn't expect - misfires likely due to a crank position sensor that was replaced some time ago).

Of course, this is my opinion... and I put my money where my mouth is, but many others agreed with me on this... so, my advice is not to worry about the DME by itself... look at the timing of the events and the rest of the car... again, this is just IMO.
That's true and I agree with you, but this specific one happened about 4,400 miles ago...but then, it hasn't blown up yet.
Schwinn (04-02-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 06:46 PM
lain09
Advanced

I agree it's not necessarily a deal breaker but considering this one was only about 120 engine hrs ago, maybe a compression test or leak down test(?) should be done to make sure no damage was done? Not sure which would be definitive or even telling on Porsches but a low compression on a S2000 would at minimum require a rebuild. You would also be subject to more scrutinization when you try to sell it down the road. Even though the car's meant for driving, it should all still be factored in to the purchase cost of the car versus one you wouldn't have to worry about any of it.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:09 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thanks for the well wishes with the Bimmer

The 240i sure seems like a drivers car to me. I did my first short canyon run yesterday and while the acceleration is no surprise, the brakes were phenomenal. I didn’t push it too hard or long enough to know if they fade at temp, but it was very fun. The *** end of that car will push you out of a corner in a much different way than the P car I’ve driven. Having said that, the steering isn’t even close - not the same league, not the same planet.

The DME on the one I listed would scare me to the point of not bidding. If the oil analysis had mileage on it, then that’d be something at least. I’ll be watching for market data.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:58 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

No argument about the recentness of your event. I didn't see that reported above (maybe i didn't read back far enough, so that's on me). I agree, with a recent one like that, it's worth being concerned for sure. I was just trying to make the point that a bad DME doesn't, in-and-of-itself mean you should avoid the car. I agree in your case, this makes sense.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by lain09
Only guessing as you don't see any black scuff marks anymore. Checking the pictures again, it looks like they took apart all the interior pieces they could take out to repaint it with the shiny paint - door handle and mirror trims, center console, ignition key surroundings?, pieces around the gauge cluster, the pieces that surround the engine cover, even the chrono clock shroud. Every other interior piece not painted seems to have been scuffed up, even the metal pieces between the seats.. and what's up with the red plastic piece inside the seat belt thing worn out? I didn't even notice it was supposed to have the sport bucket seats, aren't those like 5k+ option? All this with misaligned exhaust and DME report, I wouldn't touch this one but will follow to see how much it ends up going for. Not a lot of 987.2 come up on BAT.
I believe your guess is wrong. After R&R and painting all the black pieces they took them and had them re-lettered? I don't think so. It's just slime put on to make it "pretty".. and the red plastic piece in the seat-belt "thing" (receiver) worn out? No - it has the usual white faded appearance all of them get with some age on them (common on almost every German car - whoever makes the buckles uses a plastic that the dye in it fades with time..) BMW bikes used the same plastic on some of the handlebar electrical controls and all of them did the same thing, eventually turning almost white. If you took a scrape at it with a fingernail, the white would come off and new red would be revealed.

I really don't see that much to complain about on this car from the information given. There have been over-revs, but if it had been a money shift that's known right away when the engine explodes. Chances are good with more than 100 hours on it no damage was done. I'm guessing it will go for mid 30's or higher. Hot color, decent interior color, a desirable model with manual transmission (for some people.)

Quick Reply: Price for a 987.2 Cayman?