Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1096

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 05:51 PM
Happysunflower
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1096

My car has p1096 right now and stalls once it is at operating temp. I took my car in to the shop for a smoke test, they said it was the maf. So I replaced the maf with a new Bosch unit figuring the Bremi maf had failed. I tried cleaning the TB but no dice.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 02-23-2021, 09:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Hellow Happysunflower

Welcome to the 987/981 forum!

https://www.carobdcodes.com/porsche-...sensor-1.shtml <-- that's just what Google turned up

But that's just a guess since we have no idea what vehicle (year, model, engine) we're talking about. We kinda need that sort of info if you're expecting an intelligent answer.

Here is what AllDataDIY turns up:

Mass Air Flow Ahead of Throttle Valve Implausible (Too High)
P1096

Mass Air Flow Ahead Of Throttle Valve Implausible (too High)

Diagnostic conditions
  • Supply voltage 10 V ... 16 V
  • Engine start
  • No faults detected for throttle valve adjusting unit, ambient pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, speed sender
NOTE: In this context, please also observe the function description.

Possible fault causes
  • Hot-film mass air flow meter faulty (battered)
  • DME control module faulty (ambient pressure sensor at fault detection threshold)
Mass air flow upstream of throttle valve implausible (too low)

Diagnostic conditions
  • Power supply voltage 10 V ... 16 V
  • Engine start
  • No faults detected for throttle valve adjusting unit, ambient pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, speed sender
NOTE: In this context, please also observe the function description.

Possible fault causes
  • Air cleaner blocked
  • Leakage between MAF sensor and throttle valve adjusting unit
  • Throttle valve sluggish or heavily soiled
  • MAF sensor faulty (battered)
  • One or both cylinder banks remain jammed in small valve lift
  • DME control module faulty (ambient pressure sensor at fault detection threshold)
Function description

Diagnosis of plausibility of MAF sensor signal
  • The measured value supplied by the MAF sensor is compared to a value from a map. This map is determined by engine speed, throttle valve position, ambient pressure and intake air temperature.
  • The mass air flow upstream of the throttle valve is identified as implausible if the measured value deviates too greatly from the map.
  • If the switching cups stick on a small stroke on one or both banks (e.g., oil duct blocked), the MAF sensor can also be detected as faulty. This is because the expected increase in the air-flow rate does not occur.
  • The monitoring of electrical faults (open circuit, short circuit) takes place in a separate diagnosis.
Lots more to look at. Do you have a Porsche specific diagnostics tool? If not - you're going down the path of replacing parts until it gets better. That can be quite an expensive path to go down. There are reasonable diagnostics tools made to work with a Porsche available for $200 and less. It might just save you money to spend some money in this case.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:04 PM
Happysunflower
6th Gear

Thank you for the warm welcome and info!
my car is a 2006 Boxster 2.7
I have a carsoft for reading the Porsche computer, but it hasn’t been too helpful so far.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:30 PM
Happysunflower
6th Gear

Problem solved, battery was too old to charge all the way. Measured 11.5 volts with engine running. Crazy that it was turning over so smooth still.

Quick Reply: P1096