Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Caymans be classic some day?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 07:05 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Maybe so but I agree with the opinion that fondness for old cars is born in nostalgia which requires some history with the cars.
I'm not so sure, seeing how many times little kids eyes staring at my car while driving by it's something built into our brains. As much as we hate to deny it we're attracted to beautiful things.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...0says%20Slater.
The following users liked this post:
Chris MI 987 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 09:26 AM
Chris MI 987
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Maybe so but I agree with the opinion that fondness for old cars is born in nostalgia which requires some history with the cars. And sadly that is not as prominent now as it was when todays 65 yrs were kids.
Lets face it - we came from the golden age of automobiles. Grab whatever you want now and enjoy it. Todays kids may or may not want your car when you are gone.
Fair point. Weather was decent here yesterday and saw an older gentleman driving a 1920 something convertible and couldn't help but think who will be interested in those cars when that generation is gone. I do think it will be a little different for sports cars. IMO, there will always be a market for them. For me personally, I'd like to think I've passed my love of sports cars on to my kids (20 and 18).

The number of people who like to tinker and work on their own cars is definitely decreasing.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:32 PM
Buxbunny
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't lose hope... don't be mean...

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Congrats on your new car, Porsche sports cars including the Cayman will always be a desirable car. I think how the car drives and makes you feel is more important than collectibility, so as long as you’re happy with your car then you made the right choice.

To provide some feedback about classics, some models will appreciate and be more collectible than others. The most significant factors are their place within the hierarchy and rarity. Top tier and low production models like the Cayman GT4, Cayman R and Boxster Spyder models are considered the ones to buy for their generation and are the most likely to be a classic. They made so few of them and good ones don’t come up for sale often, they keep their values really well. It will be even more difficult as time goes on and people hold onto them. Other models like the GTS or RS60s are also desirable and command a premium over the standard cars even though they’re very similar.

As for the generations, each one has something special about them and have their own fanbase. My favorite is the 981 because I prefer the styling and exhaust note but I think they’re all great. The nice part about your 987.1S is that it’s been at the bottom of the depreciation curve for a while. If you keep it in good condition and maintain it, it will hold onto it value for a long time.
So I collect alot of things from video games to sneakers... I have a Cayman R and i would not part with it. Its the pdk carbon fibre pull handle type with very low mileage... basically if something is in a good condition it will find a buyer... you only need one fool in a global pot of fools... as for the base caymans, think of them as Playstation 1 consoles... most are worthless however a well looked after almost mint one commands 2 to 3 times its original rrsp after these 20 years.... condition condition condition
Old 01-15-2024, 02:44 PM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

All Porsches become classics, some just take longer than others.
The following users liked this post:
scootr (01-15-2024)

Quick Reply: Will Caymans be classic some day?