Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT Owners: Short Shift Kit or GT3 Shifter, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 04:48 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed the cables last night and got the car put back together. Already having the old cables removed I would say it took me 3 1/2 hrs to install and get the interior back together. I took my time and the most difficult part of the install is the routing and tightening on the driver side transmission end. All in all just go slow and pay attention to what you’re doing and it’s not that bad.

Couple tips, first the special wrench it’s a must. Second was I heard some people claim of NVH and I took extra care in making sure I put the insulation on the new cables exactly how OEM was. Don’t forget the 4” of insulation near the shifter. That’s where the e brake clamps down on the cables and could cause vibration if not insulated. Also reinstall the boot through the firewall correct on the plate. It’s a bit tough with the new cables but take the time to get the rubber lip over the plate for a proper seal. I feel if you don’t you leave a gap in the seal that too can cause vibration.

I hooked the transmission end up first adjusting the socket to go a half ball width past the maximum travel of the ball when the cable was fully extended. I tightened everything down on that end then hooked up the shifter end. I then adjusted by feel and ear. Meaning I got all 6 gear engagement to feel and sound as equally to another as possible. 2nd and 6th might be the tiniest bit shorter feel than the rest but I think it’s me being too **** and it’s such a tiny difference it’s probably just in my head and is fine.

Buttoned up the interior and took it for a test drive. Yup, this is exactly what the car was missing. It’s crazy how the entire car just feels tighter. The shifts are firm and to the point. I had zero idea how sloppy the original shifts were until I installed this. When you reach and grab the shifter it’s a brick wall and firmly plants into your palm. Not that old giving weak feel of OEM. I went with the middle setting and it’s noticeably shorter than stock but I do like it. For me I feel I will keep it at this setting.

I bought the car bone stock and have done two mods that I feel are a absolute must and makes the car almost perfect. I put a Soul catback on to give it that right amount of sport car growl and now this Numeric shift kit which makes it feel like a sports car. It’s a modification that once you are done consider it money well spent!
Old 10-02-2020, 01:11 PM
KrisA
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

So I got my car fixed up yesterday with the Porsche updated cables and brackets. I'm very very happy with them. Shifter is light years better than it was pre snappage. Much lighter but at the same time more feel. Gear changes are super positive with almost all slop removed from the shifter when in neutral. I'm not sure what part of the improvement was from just having new cables and what part was from the updated cables. I'd love to drive a new car (if one existed) against my updated car to see the difference.

Mechanic said he had difficulty with the bracket on the transmission. Not super easy to reach and the bolts were seized in pretty good. Makes me really glad I paid him the $350 to do this job.

Advice to everyone out there on stock cables, at least for 987.2 cars, if your shifting is anything less than stellar, if there is any resistance in the mechanism, if going into reverse hangs up on you sometimes, or if there is play in the shifter get your cables changed ASAP. Even if yours don't break immediately the upgraded feeling and peace of mind is worth the expense.
The following 2 users liked this post by KrisA:
oachs83 (10-02-2020), SeanPatrick31 (10-03-2020)

Quick Reply: 6MT Owners: Short Shift Kit or GT3 Shifter, Worth It?