Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6MT Owners: Short Shift Kit or GT3 Shifter, Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Anthonyr105
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Is there a part number for the updated shifter cable kit? I might consider doing it preventively. Suncoast shows them but no part number given.
You might have to look at revision numbers. The last two digits of any Porsche part number is the revision

for example

997-602-104-02

Old 09-24-2020, 09:53 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

numeric
Old 09-27-2020, 12:29 AM
glv987
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorter shifter is definitely worth it. I had the factory short shift for 45k miles and the wear at that point was noticeable, but only just. There is very little extra friction, and to me it feels a lot better that the stock shifter did in Dad's Cayman. It will be more difficult to shift into second or third sometimes when cold, but that goes away by the time you've driven half a mile. The Numeric cables and SSK in Dad's car, and the Numeric cables and shifter in my Boxster didn't introduce noticeable NVH. But the Numeric shifter in my car is louder at shifting. SSK is $430 US at Suncoast.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:49 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, a basic question. For a 987.2 install, which is the preferred GT3 shifter? The 997.1 or 997.2? Or are they the same? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:32 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean L.
OK, a basic question. For a 987.2 install, which is the preferred GT3 shifter? The 997.1 or 997.2? Or are they the same? Thanks.
I’m pretty sure it’s the same, should be able to confirm part numbers on Pelican.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPatrick31 (09-27-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:23 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Still confused a little, what is the difference in construction between the GT3 and the Porsche short shifter? Some comments above about the GT3 bushings , are they also metal in the short shift unit? Or are both pretty much the same unit with different names?
Old 09-28-2020, 11:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
Still confused a little, what is the difference in construction between the GT3 and the Porsche short shifter? Some comments above about the GT3 bushings , are they also metal in the short shift unit? Or are both pretty much the same unit with different names?
The GT3 shifter isn’t a short throw, it retains the standard throw length and or it might be just a touch shorter but not really noticeable. I’m not sure if the short shifter utilizes metal or plastic bushings, hopefully someone that has seen it can confirm.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:29 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had my 987.2 cable bust at the transmission end with 22k miles on the car last Friday. Basically the bracket on the driver side gives the cable a bad angle and wears it out pretty quick. That’s why Porsche has you get the new brackets with their upgraded cables to change the angle of the cable.

I went with Numeric for a couple reasons. First I have not found anyone that has reported a Numeric cable failing after their swap. 2nd you retain all the original brackets making instillation that much faster, and 3rd the quality just seems overall better and I believe the Numeric cables are roughly the same price at $450. Also if you use Rennlist as a promo you get 10% off putting the price closer to $400.

I decided to go with the entire kit with the Numeric shifter as every post I’ve read can’t stop raving about how the shifter feels and some claim it makes the car perfect. It’s an all aluminum part with no plastic which I like as well. Another reason I went with the shifter is the cable installation is like 95% of the work as you have to rip the two engine covers and the entire center console and radio side trim out just to replace the cables. The shifter is four extra nuts to the project. I only want to do this once and not rip the entire console out again because a year down the road I regretted not doing the shifter too.

I overnighted the parts which will hopefully be here tomorrow so I will definitely give my first reaction to the install.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:36 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

I installed the GT3 shifter in my 987S, identical to original, save the metal bushings as noted. It returned the feel to when I first bought the car 5+ years ago.

I am starting to think about changing out the cables proactively, though... after reading about all the cable failures
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

Has anyone got experience with the Function First shift cable ends that replace the troublesome transmission end connectors w/o removing oem cables?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:36 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson
Has anyone got experience with the Function First shift cable ends that replace the troublesome transmission end connectors w/o removing oem cables?
Its the same level of effort and you must remove the poem cables anyway. Numeric bolsters the feel of each shift, even if you stay stock or go with an OEM shifter replacement.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts

FF web and install PDF says no new cables required—-these replace the factory weak connectors....
Old 09-28-2020, 03:55 PM
oachs83
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van Larson

I believe that is just a solution to the loose feel of the shifter and if your socket is worn it it fixes the ends popping out. The real issue is the picture I posted a few posts ago with the cable failing where it crimps into the shaft. FF does not prevent this which is the real problem. These OEM cables will break it’s just a matter of when?
Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oachs83
Just had my 987.2 cable bust at the transmission end with 22k miles on the car last Friday. Basically the bracket on the driver side gives the cable a bad angle and wears it out pretty quick. That’s why Porsche has you get the new brackets with their upgraded cables to change the angle of the cable.

I went with Numeric for a couple reasons. First I have not found anyone that has reported a Numeric cable failing after their swap. 2nd you retain all the original brackets making instillation that much faster, and 3rd the quality just seems overall better and I believe the Numeric cables are roughly the same price at $450. Also if you use Rennlist as a promo you get 10% off putting the price closer to $400.

I decided to go with the entire kit with the Numeric shifter as every post I’ve read can’t stop raving about how the shifter feels and some claim it makes the car perfect. It’s an all aluminum part with no plastic which I like as well. Another reason I went with the shifter is the cable installation is like 95% of the work as you have to rip the two engine covers and the entire center console and radio side trim out just to replace the cables. The shifter is four extra nuts to the project. I only want to do this once and not rip the entire console out again because a year down the road I regretted not doing the shifter too.

I overnighted the parts which will hopefully be here tomorrow so I will definitely give my first reaction to the install.
You made the right call. The quality of the parts is top notch. There is some additional effort required to shift, but it gives you a confidence you can’t get with the stock parts. I wrapped the cables with the rubber hoses that Numeric sells and notice zero additional NVH.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:33 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by oachs83
I believe that is just a solution to the loose feel of the shifter and if your socket is worn it it fixes the ends popping out. The real issue is the picture I posted a few posts ago with the cable failing where it crimps into the shaft. FF does not prevent this which is the real problem. These OEM cables will break it’s just a matter of when?
This is correct: the FF cable ends do not fix the cable breakage problem. The only fixes for that are the redesigned OEM cables or the Numeric cables.

Quick Reply: 6MT Owners: Short Shift Kit or GT3 Shifter, Worth It?