Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM
Jon Ash
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System

I'm sure this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but as a Cayman S owner for the last six months, I haven't had the pleasure. What are your suggestions for a tuned exhaust system for an "06 Cayman S? I'd like a slightly more throaty tone (like Weber carbs), a few more HP and a price something less than a 718. Suggestions? And thanks for the input. Jon Asah
Old 08-06-2020, 06:14 PM
simmonsg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So after several weeks of 'exhaustive' research and such, because I'm weird like that, these are the options I came up with on my 2009 Cayman S:
Option #1: Keep the same OEM exhaust by having Carnewal or Cantrell modify the original exhaust with core exchange program. Cost effective, and throatier. And in the future you can upgrade further by adding OEM modified headers from the same companies. This is what I finally decided to do.
Lots of sound/video clips on the Carnewal exhaust system. No droning, no CEL, etc. And with the headers, additional HP.
Option #2: Porsche Sports Exhaust using a remote to open/close valves. Installation will be far less complicated and much cheaper vs adding an on/off button to the interior. I had PSE on a 981 S and it was glorious. Though I don't think PSE increases HP, at least Porsche doesn't state as such.
Option #3: Soul / Fabspeed / Borla etc were all candidates as well but to spend that much money I would have to hear with my own ears in person and on a like model car before investing. Very hard to do in my part of the woods.
The following 2 users liked this post by simmonsg:
maschinetheist (03-09-2021), Spokayman (08-12-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 08:55 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I have carnewal from cantrell on my 2012 cayman .it sounds amazing.but the xtra power comes from catless or 200 cell headers.
i know soul performance headers are louder than carnewal but both yield the same performance results.
The following users liked this post:
SomnoBoost (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kboustani
I have carnewal from cantrell on my 2012 cayman .it sounds amazing.but the xtra power comes from catless or 200 cell headers.
i know soul performance headers are louder than carnewal but both yield the same performance results.
So you have both the Carnewal cats and exhaust? Did you add both at the same time or one before the other? I have the GT exhaust and am thinking about adding the sport cats and am wondering what kind of sound improvement you saw. I know the cats on the 987.2 are more restricted than the 987 so it seems that would mean the sport cats add a noticeable difference.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I only have the carnewal exhaust.i am thinking about the headers but carnewal don’t give much sound increase from what I am told.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:05 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wife has a Fabspeed on her 2012 Cayman R. Sounds good, slight tiny drone slowly going up hills when around stead 2k-3K but the car sounds aggressive.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:08 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Wife has a Fabspeed on her 2012 Cayman R. Sounds good, slight tiny drone slowly going up hills when around stead 2k-3K but the car sounds aggressive.
Do you feel the Fabspeed is neighborhood friendly? I live in a subdivision where the houses are pretty close together. I warm my car up at 7:00 AM and don't want to make a street full of enemies. lol
Old 08-11-2020, 02:29 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

It' not too loud at startup compared to my old exhaust on my previous Panamera S but it definitely doesn't sound stock at startup.

found some sound clips online but they don't compare to real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iIdAk0j4Fk
https://youtu.be/EZc06RxIiyY

Old 08-11-2020, 02:44 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

It' not too loud at startup compared to my old exhaust on my previous Panamera S but it definitely doesn't sound stock at startup.

found some sound clips online but they don't compare to real life.
Cool thanks a lot. Since I already have the Carnewal GT exhaust, I think what I'll end up doing is getting their sport cats instead of a louder exhaust. The 987.2 cats are in the headers so I feel like I should see a much better sound with 200 cel cats. I'm very much trying to avoid drone and CEL.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Keep it simple, and cheap.

Originally Posted by Jon Ash
I'm sure this subject has been discussed ad nauseum, but as a Cayman S owner for the last six months, I haven't had the pleasure. What are your suggestions for a tuned exhaust system for an "06 Cayman S? I'd like a slightly more throaty tone (like Weber carbs), a few more HP and a price something less than a 718. Suggestions? And thanks for the input. Jon Asah
We read below,"Porsche Sports Exhaust using a remote to open/close valves. The installation will be far less complicated and much cheaper vs adding an on/off button to the interior. I had PSE on a 981 S and it was glorious. " I 100% agree, SunCoast Porsche and others offer the Sport Exhaust, complete with the button for the cabin that allows you to turn off the sporty sound in Sport and Sport + mode.

If you truly believe, deep in your heart, that the 15 of so HP you may be able to acquire with headers and sport cats, will make you noticeable faster, and can live with the expenses to purchase and install, then you'll do it. But remember, when you go catless two things happen:
  1. You defeat the Porsche Engineering airflow engineering that went into optimizing your engine, from intake to exhaust,
  2. In an emissions conscious state like CA, your car will be illegal, and BTW, you are adding to air pollution. In CA, you'll need to go back to stock every 2 years to pass emissions testing.
I have been driving a 2015 Cayman GTS for 1 year this October. I think 15 or so more HP is unnecessary. The car is already as fast as my former 2004 GT3 at Laguna Seca 1:44.8, and is 3 to 4 seconds a lap quicker at Willow Springs Raceway, hitting some 1:35s on our first visit on DOT 200 tires. As I receive more coaching, and drill down into the data, I see the definite possibility of picking up significantly more time at both tracks. My car is bone stock with the exception of Porsche 991S brakes (6 pistons VS stock 4 piston), and Tarett Engineering adjustable rear toe links...whoops, I also have GT3 front lower control arms, they came with the car.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:48 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree with Martin's statements above...

Originally Posted by Martin S.
...I have been driving a 2015 Cayman GTS for 1 year this October. I think 15 or so more HP is unnecessary. The car is already as fast as my former 2004 GT3 at Laguna Seca 1:44.8, and is 3 to 4 seconds a lap quicker at Willow Springs Raceway, hitting some 1:35s on our first visit on DOT 200 tires. As I receive more coaching, and drill down into the data, I see the definite possibility of picking up significantly more time at both tracks. My car is bone stock with the exception of Porsche 991S brakes (6 pistons VS stock 4 piston), and Tarett Engineering adjustable rear toe links...whoops, I also have GT3 front lower control arms, they came with the car.
Martin - What have you noticed with the upgraded brakes on track?

HP and performance... I run the same time at Laguna in a base Cayman so 15 HP isn't really noticeable.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:47 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Not everyone takes their car to the track...

OP if you want a little more sound or growl from your car then look into Exhaust or even combo of Sport Headers with Cats (Depending on your state and what is allowed to have). Exhaust and/or headers with Cats won't produce eye-popping numbers on a Normally aspirated car. They would aid in your car driving experience and slight feel on the seat of the pants. None of these Sport Cats are technically CARB legal and as mentioned by others, depending on your state, it would be illegal for you to have them on, worst case if you run catless, IMHO should even be an option for road cars regardless of what state as it does impact mother nature more.

Do your due diligence and research before you buy.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:48 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 9eight7
I agree with Martin's statements above...

Martin - What have you noticed with the upgraded brakes on track? They have gotten hot, but have never faded. I have come in off the track at Chuckwalla, and there is smoke coming out of the wheel wells. At that point, I head out for some cool down driving in the pits.....my pal with standard 4 piston brakes complains about them getting too hot.

I never had the stock brakes on at the track...but just to throw out a number, my AiM Data Logger reading Brake PSI reading at 81 mph, decelerating from over 100 at the Sunrise Corner at Buttonwillow 13 CW, was 878.6 PSI. This is CAN bus data fed into my SOLO 2 DL. Those brakes really do the job...also have RF (DOT 5) Brake fluid and Pagid Yellows on the car.

HP and performance... I run the same time at Laguna in a base Cayman so 15 HP isn't really noticeable.
This upcoming time at Laguna Seca, I will have reviewed my data, again and again, consulted Ross Bentley and Peter Krause's Laguna Seca Virtual Track Walk, and have on fresh tires. If the gods are good I'll do better than a 1:43. My coach tells me there is a 1:39 in the car, I just need to find it...been elusive so far. Don't get me wrong, I'd take an incremental 15 HP, I just don't t want to pay for it.​​​​​​​

Old 01-28-2021, 11:25 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default But, what about the exhaust smell

Not everyone takes their car to the track...

OP if you want a little more sound or growl from your car then look into Exhaust or even combo of Sport Headers with Cats (Depending on your state and what is allowed to have). Exhaust and/or headers with Cats won't produce eye-popping numbers on a Normally aspirated car. They would aid in your car driving experience and slight feel on the seat of the pants. None of these Sport Cats are technically CARB legal and as mentioned by others, depending on your state, it would be illegal for you to have them on, worst case if you run catless, IMHO should even be an option for road cars regardless of what state as it does impact mother nature more.

Do your due diligence and research before you buy.
I received a favorable discount offer from FVD on their catless street headers but, i'm reading about a 50-50 split between some that say the exhaust smell is harsh and some say not. I don't plan to track the car and it would be a daily drive on good weather days. Anybody out there have smellervision to give some feedback on the issue please and thank you. DLB P.S. I live in a state w/no vehicle inspection.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:28 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default BUMP-ANYBODY

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
I received a favorable discount offer from FVD on their catless street headers but, i'm reading about a 50-50 split between some that say the exhaust smell is harsh and some say not. I don't plan to track the car and it would be a daily drive on good weather days. Anybody out there have smellervision to give some feedback on the issue please and thank you. DLB P.S. I live in a state w/no vehicle inspection.
ANYBODY?

Quick Reply: Exhaust System