Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 2.9L P0084 engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:04 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts
Default 987.2 2.9L P0084 engine light

Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit is P0084

Symptoms-

Shudder on idle- car has thrown P0300 P0304 P0305 P0306 which is multiple misfires, and then cyls 4, 5, 6. Engine goes into reduced power mode.

Car is near 100,000 miles so I am going to be replacing the plugs and coilpacks soon, but that is odd that all 3 are misfiring.

Any thoughts on the P0084? Could it be related to a misfiring single cylinder?

Old 03-11-2020, 03:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Replace the plugs (and you might also consider the coils) then reset the ECU and see what happens. It has been my experience that when one coil starts misfiring it somehow can cause other coils to also misfire. Solution is usually plugs and/or coils.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Replace the plugs (and you might also consider the coils) then reset the ECU and see what happens. It has been my experience that when one coil starts misfiring it somehow can cause other coils to also misfire. Solution is usually plugs and/or coils.
That's the plan. The code that is concerning me is the solenoid cause it looks like to be a not easy fix if it is indeed that variocam solenoid
Old 03-12-2020, 02:53 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
That's the plan. The code that is concerning me is the solenoid cause it looks like to be a not easy fix if it is indeed that variocam solenoid
I'm guessing you're not reading the codes with a Porsche specific scanner? If you were - something like DuraMetric and iCarScan allow you to read the "Expected Cam Angle" and the "Actual Cam Angle" - that will quickly reveal if there is any problem in the Variocam system. You may want to seek one out - perhaps someone local to you owns one and would read out ALL the errors stored in the modules, and the cam-angle information. That would require revealing where you're located and for some reason, it seems people are really paranoid about doing that.

BTW - when asking for help and listing codes - please also list the description of each code (the simplest OBD-II tools will give you that) rather than assuming people are familiar enough with the code numbers that they know what each code you list means. Most of us aren't and don't feel like going to look up the codes - so answers you get have to be considered as possibly inaccurate based on lacking information.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:54 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I'm guessing you're not reading the codes with a Porsche specific scanner? If you were - something like DuraMetric and iCarScan allow you to read the "Expected Cam Angle" and the "Actual Cam Angle" - that will quickly reveal if there is any problem in the Variocam system. You may want to seek one out - perhaps someone local to you owns one and would read out ALL the errors stored in the modules, and the cam-angle information. That would require revealing where you're located and for some reason, it seems people are really paranoid about doing that.
You are correct, just Torque PRO on my old android tablet to pull codes. My usual mechanic has been swamped with getting fancier Porsches out of winter storage, and me taking new employment and playing catchup with the rest of my new colleagues, it'll be a while until either him or I can use a proper code reader.

BTW - when asking for help and listing codes - please also list the description of each code (the simplest OBD-II tools will give you that) rather than assuming people are familiar enough with the code numbers that they know what each code you list means. Most of us aren't and don't feel like going to look up the codes - so answers you get have to be considered as possibly inaccurate based on lacking information.
Sure thing-
P0084 Powertrain - Exhaust Valve Control Solenoid Circuit (Bank 2)
P0300 Powertrain - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0304 Powertrain - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0305 Powertrain - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0306 Powertrain - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

Old 10-17-2020, 09:20 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

As an update--

It was the VVT sensor that is found between coil packs 4 and 5. I took it out, gave it a solid cleaning with brake cleaner, and applied some 12v to it, and it freed itself.

Everything is whirring along good!
The following 2 users liked this post by Libast:
A432 (12-30-2020), ZuffenZeus (10-18-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:31 PM
erika will
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean by 12v
Old 12-29-2020, 09:43 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by erika will
what do you mean by 12v
I attached leads to a 12v power source and then connected it to the solenoid, triggering it to open and close whenever i touched the terminals.

Quick Reply: 987.2 2.9L P0084 engine light