Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cayman Low Oil Message

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM
mwill1906
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayman Low Oil Message

Recently took my 2011 Cayman out for a drive after sitting most of the winter. About 50 miles into the drive, I got a "check oil level" message. Level was extremely low; added a quart. There is no indication of a leak on my garage floor. Have checked level several times prior to and it always indicated a good level. Anyone ever encounter similar issue?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:31 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mwill1906
Recently took my 2011 Cayman out for a drive after sitting most of the winter. About 50 miles into the drive, I got a "check oil level" message. Level was extremely low; added a quart. There is no indication of a leak on my garage floor. Have checked level several times prior to and it always indicated a good level. Anyone ever encounter similar issue?
I have a 2016 Cayamn GTS and encountered a similar situation once. I parked on a steep hill and after driving off I checked the oil level because of my OCD and the level was extremely low. I sort of panicked and headed to an auto parts store to get a quart of oil - I monitored the oil level for the entire ride to the store and it remained low.

Note - prior to starting the day my oi level was fine.

I got to the store parked on level ground and bought the oil. Before adding the oil and potentially over filling the car i decided to wait it out - popped the trunk and stored the oil in the trunk. I then drove about 10 miles and the oil level returned to “ Good “.

‘’Not sure if the 2011 oiling system is the same as the 2016 but opening and closing the trunk “,resets “ something on the oil measurement system - after opening the trunk you need to drive a few miles before you can get an oil reading.

my suggestion is to not to add anymore oil at this point as it’s easy to over fill the car. Pop the trunk and take a ride for at least 10 miles and then recheck your oil level while parked on level ground.

Hopefully someone with a 2011 and more expertise than me will chime in.

http://www.revolution-porsche.co.uk/...oil-level-997/
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim137a:
deilenberger (03-10-2020), mwill1906 (03-09-2020)

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayman Low Oil Message