Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Items 987.1 S

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:03 AM
tx63conv
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Items 987.1 S

I have a relatively new to me 2006 Cayman S. It has approximately 33k miles. I bought the car strictly to participate in some PCA events and so it doesn't get driven very much. After purchase, I had the car inspected and new pads, rotors along with oil change and brake fluid flush by a reputable Porsche mechanic.

Over the holidays, I started the car to exercise it after sitting for 6 weeks and a CEL visit workshop light came on. Another story for another thread.

My question after researching, is given the age but low miles, does it make sense to replace the plugs and coil packs? I dont see any documentation that this has been done. The car runs fine and did great in my first HPDE event last October.

A second new to Porsche question is checking the oil. I have let the computer cycle through the check oil process previously multiple times but after the CEL, I tried and the countdown was 29 minutes. I didn't have 29 minutes and left the car in the garage. Is this typical?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:01 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

The chexk light is just a reminder and reqquires to be reset through the cars computer input port. Take it to a dealer or reputable Indy mechanic.

I.d leave the plugs and coil packs for now unless the car is throwing misfire codes.

Do the above and put some miles on it and enkoy. Change the oil every 5k and you should be good to go.

For the oill.....you will need to let the car sit overnight and check before drivong it to get tje most accurate level.

I check mine before every drive.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:07 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The problem with plugs is that time can cause them to seize to the heads, irrespective of miles, or so I've read a few times, and you can damage the heads when they are removed. My manual (07 Cayman Base) says "Replace spark plugs every 60,000 mls, but no later than every 4 years". I changed mine at 50k miles / 10 years and was pretty nervous as I carefully removed them, but had no issues.

As mentioned, check oil BEFORE you drive it - then it just takes a few seconds.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 PM
tx63conv
7th Gear

Thanks! My plan on the CEL--assuming no misfire codes, then I will leave the plugs and coil packs alone. I know this is a 60k service item but after 14 years the car is only half way there.

Thanks for the info on the check oil. Now that you mention it, I believe I read that in the service manual.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:19 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Another note on oil level: the system goes through an oil level reset whenever you open the rear hatch, I presume on the possibility that you added oil.
Bern
Old 01-02-2020, 03:46 PM
tx63conv
7th Gear

I have some documentation but the car has traded hands--I am at least the third if not fourth owner. I will take a look again to see if I see plugs and coils. If not, may be the next project. Thanks for the response on the OIL check.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:34 PM
OC_Cayman
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bernb6
Another note on oil level: the system goes through an oil level reset whenever you open the rear hatch, I presume on the possibility that you added oil.
Bern
Huh? My 2008 CS doesn't.

Quick Reply: Service Items 987.1 S