Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help : Cayman R Springs in Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 07:15 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Need Help : Cayman R Springs in Cayman S

I got a set of 2012 Cayman R springs for my 2010 Cayman S.

No issues with the front but my workshop is struggling with the rear in that the R springs are much shorter than stock springs and they are not sure what to do.

The shock absorbers for both 2010 Cayman S and 2012 Cayman R are the exact same part number.

Anyone done the same and can advise?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

First of all the struts / shock absorbers are not the same in Cayman R and Cayman S (and part numbers differ). The R strut is shorter and has different rebound / compression. Second, its never a good idea to stick shorter springs on a strut that is designed for a taller spring - it will stress the shock causing premature wear and will affect driving characteristics in an unpredictable manner. If you really want to use the R springs, you have two choices: use R shocks or use Bilstein B8 struts which are designed for lowering springs.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:55 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

I just did this over the summer using Cayman R springs with Bilstein B6 shocks; worked out great. I think the B8 shocks can work but they're really meant for aftermarket springs that lower the car beyond the Cayman R drop.

Parts List:

Front Damper - Bilstein B6 (x2)
P/N 35-122180

Cayman R Front Spring Set (x1)
P/N 98734353140504

Front Strut Mount (x2)
P/N 99734301801

Front Shock Bearing (x2)
P/N 99634351505

Rear Damper - Bilstein B6 (x2)
P/N 35-122197

Cayman R Rear Spring Set (x1)
P/N 98733353196504

Rear Shock Mount (x2)
P/N 98733305900

Rear Strut Bushing (x2)
P/N 98733350400

More details here.
The following users liked this post:
Liongolfer (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by olegd
First of all the struts / shock absorbers are not the same in Cayman R and Cayman S (and part numbers differ). The R strut is shorter and has different rebound / compression. Second, its never a good idea to stick shorter springs on a strut that is designed for a taller spring - it will stress the shock causing premature wear and will affect driving characteristics in an unpredictable manner. If you really want to use the R springs, you have two choices: use R shocks or use Bilstein B8 struts which are designed for lowering springs.
Thanks for chiming in. Yup, I think I may go B8 as my left rear damper is bad and will need a change regardless.

its really confusing.. Individual part numbers for the R and S dampers I have now discovered are different BUT for the damper kit ie set of 4, the kit part number for both 2012 R and 2010 S are exactly the same. Then I look to bilstein OEMs on ECS and FCP Euro and have now also confirmed with Bilstein USA, the B4, B6 and B8 dampers for both 12 R and 10 S are exactly the same. SO what I'm wondering is IF the 2012 R takes the same B4 and B6 as the 10 S, and using the same shorter R spring, why is it ok on the 12 R and not the 10S?
Old 12-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I just did this over the summer using Cayman R springs with Bilstein B6 shocks; worked out great. I think the B8 shocks can work but they're really meant for aftermarket springs that lower the car beyond the Cayman R drop.

Parts List:

P/N 35-122180

P/N 98734353140504

Front Strut Mount (x2)
P/N 99734301801

Front Shock Bearing (x2)
P/N 99634351505

P/N 35-122197

P/N 98733353196504

Rear Shock Mount (x2)
P/N 98733305900

Rear Strut Bushing (x2)
P/N 98733350400

More details here.
Cool. that's what I thought as well. PLease see my reply to Ole above.

Did you DIY?

If indeed the B8 wil lower the car even more than the 20 mm, that's not what I want too. I'm really confused now.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:16 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liongolfer
Cool. that's what I thought as well. PLease see my reply to Ole above.

Did you DIY?

If indeed the B8 wil lower the car even more than the 20 mm, that's not what I want too. I'm really confused now.
The springs are what lower the car, not the shocks. Use the R springs with the B6 shocks and you'll get the 20mm drop.

Yes, I swapped them myself.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:45 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

The springs are what lower the car, not the shocks. Use the R springs with the B6 shocks and you'll get the 20mm drop.

Yes, I swapped them myself.
Now I'm even more confused as the B6 and the B4 (which is the stock strut) are the same length/height and hence the R spring should fit the stock strut (b4) as well if it fits the B6?

There is a lot of free play when the R spring is on the stock strut and a lot more so on the rear such that the R springs don't sit tight at the bottom and top of the strut. I'm struggilng to find the right technical terms.

As my rear left strut is very near its end and if I have to get new struts, I'm thinking B8 to take all the guess work out as B8 is made for lowering springs. I'm just concerned it going B8 will drop the height even more than 20mm which I don't want.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't take this wrong, but does it make any sense to change out the springs and try to match them to different shocks when the whole spring/shock assembly is readily available as a package AND that package was developed for exactly the car you want to put it on? You can bolt in the Cayman R suspension to any 987 (I have it on my Cayman R and bolted it on my '07 Boxster S) with zero issues.

I have no idea if the Bilstein shocks were valved he same as the shocks in the R suspension (also called the x73 in the 981 chassis), and suspect neither does anyone else. So even if they fit and get you the drop you want, you will likely end up with a confused suspension. The Cayman R/x73 setup is widely considered to be astonishingly good, why not use it?

Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by andy7777:
9872SpeedYellowCS (12-17-2019), tomhartzell (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019, 12:51 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liongolfer
Now I'm even more confused as the B6 and the B4 (which is the stock strut) are the same length/height and hence the R spring should fit the stock strut (b4) as well if it fits the B6?

There is a lot of free play when the R spring is on the stock strut and a lot more so on the rear such that the R springs don't sit tight at the bottom and top of the strut. I'm struggilng to find the right technical terms.

As my rear left strut is very near its end and if I have to get new struts, I'm thinking B8 to take all the guess work out as B8 is made for lowering springs. I'm just concerned it going B8 will drop the height even more than 20mm which I don't want.
When you say "free play" on the springs, is this with the car on jack stands or a lift? Is the suspension unloaded? Because if so, the shock will compress and the shock/spring assembly will become tight once the car is on the ground. I noticed this too in the rear with the R springs on the B6 shocks, but once I lowered the car, everything tightened up and works perfectly.

The B8 shocks may work (a Bilstein rep can confirm) but I can guarantee you the B6 shocks definitely work.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:10 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Originally Posted by andy7777
Don't take this wrong, but does it make any sense to change out the springs and try to match them to different shocks when the whole spring/shock assembly is readily available as a package AND that package was developed for exactly the car you want to put it on? You can bolt in the Cayman R suspension to any 987 (I have it on my Cayman R and bolted it on my '07 Boxster S) with zero issues.

I have no idea if the Bilstein shocks were valved he same as the shocks in the R suspension (also called the x73 in the 981 chassis), and suspect neither does anyone else. So even if they fit and get you the drop you want, you will likely end up with a confused suspension. The Cayman R/x73 setup is widely considered to be astonishingly good, why not use it?

Just my 2 cents.
No worries and your suggestion makes perfect sense. I went this route for 2 reasons : First, Misinterpretation of information on my part (frankly, I'm still very confused about why the same bilstien shocks work n both the said cars but the R springs with the same absorbers will work o the R but not the S). Someone on another forum suggested the compensators (?) for the R and S may be different as the reason). Second is I wanted to go the cheap route thinking the R Springs would work n the stock S absorbers given I thought they are the same (again, still confused given the Bilstein example).

Its definitely not what Porsche had in mind but I think (hope) the R spring Bilstein route will still be good per the experiences of quite a few. I'm reading the original Porsche shocks are made for Porsche by Bilstein so it should not be too bad going with Bilstein.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:16 PM
Liongolfer
Instructor

When you say "free play" on the springs, is this with the car on jack stands or a lift? Is the suspension unloaded? Because if so, the shock will compress and the shock/spring assembly will become tight once the car is on the ground. I noticed this too in the rear with the R springs on the B6 shocks, but once I lowered the car, everything tightened up and works perfectly.

The B8 shocks may work (a Bilstein rep can confirm) but I can guarantee you the B6 shocks definitely work.
Hmmm.. you described pretty much what I was shown via watsapp video bu the workshop. Their concerns are when installed and lowered, the rear was lower than the front (could be my bad shocks but shouldn't be as I'm given to understand ride height is determined by the springs) and during a wheel change, the same free play will be there. Same concerns if going to fast over humps and the springs may not "land" back in place.. I'm exagerating but its something similar.

Bilstein has confirmed B8 is the way to go but interesting that they also did not say an absolute no to B4 and B6.

In any case, now that I also have a very near end of life rear left shock and will have to change shocks regardless, I'll go B8 as Bilstein has confirmed it'll work for the R springs, my workshop concurs. Bilstein has also confirmed that the ride height is determined by the springs so a shorter strut like the B8 wont' lower it any more than the R springs are meant to lower.

Thanks for chiming in kiznarsh.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

The struts have a range of travel that is optimal for a given ride height. The body length and stroke of the shock need to be sized so that the travel is centered at the ride hight dictated by the spring. It's possible the B6s (or stock strut) work ok, but they may also have reduced compression travel (and more droop travel) at a lower ride height than a shorter strut would because the car is sitting lower in the strut's range of travel. If Porsche pairs a shorter strut with the R springs and Bilstein recommends the shorter B8 strut, that's the way to go for optimal range of travel.

Or maybe these struts have a wide range of travel and a 20mm drop is inconsequential.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:52 PM
JMS_987CS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Parts List:

P/N 35-122180

P/N 98734353140504

Front Strut Mount (x2)
P/N 99734301801

Front Shock Bearing (x2)
P/N 99634351505

P/N 35-122197

P/N 98733353196504

Rear Shock Mount (x2)
P/N 98733305900

Rear Strut Bushing (x2)
P/N 98733350400

More details here.
I wonder has anyone done this exact setup -- Cayman R springs with Bilstein B6, but on a PASM car using the Damptronic version of the B6 and of course the DSC controller upgrade?

I am on the hunt for a 987.1 and debating heavily over PASM vs non-PASM car. I have both options available as there are plenty of specimens available on the market. I go back and forth as to whether I want to be 100% connected to the road (non-PASM) or whether I want the car to have an option of a smooth ride on longer trips. The car won't be a DD, because I work from my home office. However it will be taken out several times a week for "fun" rides. Maybe 3-4 times a year it will go on 3-4 hour trips on the interstate to either the coast or the mountains (I am in NC).

Suspension upgrade would be one of the first things I would want to do in either case. For the non-PASM I believe I would want to do exactly what you've done here, and for a PASM car again the same thing except with the Damptronic version of the B6, plus the DSC controller upgrade.

Thoughts? Thanks !
Old 02-27-2020, 04:13 AM
Sir Ducer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeauxTigers987CS
I wonder has anyone done this exact setup -- Cayman R springs with Bilstein B6, but on a PASM car using the Damptronic version of the B6 and of course the DSC controller upgrade?

I am on the hunt for a 987.1 and debating heavily over PASM vs non-PASM car. I have both options available as there are plenty of specimens available on the market. I go back and forth as to whether I want to be 100% connected to the road (non-PASM) or whether I want the car to have an option of a smooth ride on longer trips. The car won't be a DD, because I work from my home office. However it will be taken out several times a week for "fun" rides. Maybe 3-4 times a year it will go on 3-4 hour trips on the interstate to either the coast or the mountains (I am in NC).

Suspension upgrade would be one of the first things I would want to do in either case. For the non-PASM I believe I would want to do exactly what you've done here, and for a PASM car again the same thing except with the Damptronic version of the B6, plus the DSC controller upgrade.

Thoughts? Thanks !
I currently have DSC with standard PASM on a CS. am told that the Cayman R springs will ride 10mm HIGHER, than CS springs on PASM. I find that odd.
Was in the market for CR springs to fit on the PASM thinking it would go another 10-20mm lower. seems like I might have to use H&R PASM compatible Lowering Springs.

Getting control arms, ARBs and links to sort out the handling side of the Cayman.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GeauxTigers987CS

Thoughts? Thanks !
I'm not an expert but do have a 987.1 CS with PASM. Are you looking to go lower and stiffer than than sport mode? I'm west of Asheville and would not want to go much stiffer for road-only use. If that is your goal, I would think non-PASM would be simpler. For me, I will focus on alignment i.e. camber first. FWIW....

Quick Reply: Need Help : Cayman R Springs in Cayman S