Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Elephant Racing coilover conversion experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:40 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Any Elephant Racing coilover conversion experience?

Looking for thoughts and advice. I have a 2014 Cayman S with PASM, I track it 75% and drive to DE days, I am looking to upgrade the suspension (keep PASM and not go full coilover) and saw the Elephant Racing coilover conversion kit ( https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...nversion-kits/ )and am interested. I know KW has the HAS kit but the springs a soft (278/325 and they do not do custom spring sets). I want to stiffen the springs and am thinking 400/500 would be good. Question is - just change stock springs to Swift springs and roll with that or go with the Elephant kit for an additional $1,000? I know I would get the ability to change ride height and corner balance with the Elephant kit - any other benefits? Is the ability to corner balance that big of a deal on a DE track car?

Thanks-
Old 12-02-2019, 05:50 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by brewerbry
Looking for thoughts and advice. I have a 2014 Cayman S with PASM, I track it 75% and drive to DE days, I am looking to upgrade the suspension (keep PASM and not go full coilover) and saw the Elephant Racing coilover conversion kit ( https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...nversion-kits/ )and am interested. I know KW has the HAS kit but the springs a soft (278/325 and they do not do custom spring sets). I want to stiffen the springs and am thinking 400/500 would be good. Question is - just change stock springs to Swift springs and roll with that or go with the Elephant kit for an additional $1,000? I know I would get the ability to change ride height and corner balance with the Elephant kit - any other benefits? Is the ability to corner balance that big of a deal on a DE track car?

Thanks-
Corner balancing is critical for an adjustable height car.

Another option to look into is a DSC controller. It is magical witchcraft for PASM/SPASM equipped cars and will greatly improve the handling. If you want the car stiffer then springs will get that done but springs are kind of a cheap shortcut for a track car and a gamble on how fast the shocks will fail since the aren't designed for the change in ride height.

No experience with ER.... KW coilovers on the PASM equipped 991 and Ohlins on the non PASM 987. Love both. The Ohlins are kind of the entry level I would recommend for the track and I like the KW for street just fine.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 AM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

You are correct about the DSC - I have one and it is great! Anyone else have thoughts on the Elephant coilover conversion kit?

Thx-
Old 12-05-2019, 11:16 AM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting kit from ER. I was aware of KW and Bilstein Damptronic coilovers but not this kit. It is certainly a lot cheaper if your OEM PASM shocks are still serviceable. The KWs are like $7k and Bilsteins are $4k so to find a conversion kit at only $1500 seems like a bargain. Again if your PASMs are still serviceable. If you have to replace your current shocks, then the Bilsteins seem the better value.

The one question is how much labor is involved with converting your coilovers.

Quick Reply: Any Elephant Racing coilover conversion experience?