Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS 'Winter Tire' Setting - What does it change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 01:59 PM
qwe
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TPMS 'Winter Tire' Setting - What does it change?

I have a 2012 Boxster S. What does changing the Tire Pressure Monitoring System to 'Winter Tires' do?? I have been trying to understand the system. Does the program allow for lower variances between warm and cold? Anyone know what it does?
Old 11-25-2019, 03:50 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Good question, i've been wondering, too. Can the 18" winter setting be used for my 18" track wheels? If the overall diameter is essentially the same, what is it actually doing?
Old 11-26-2019, 09:25 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

On my 981 the specifications for winter tire pressures are different than summer tires.

Presumably it changes the thresholds at which the system warns of low pressure.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 AM
small car lover
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

On my 09 Cayman S changing to "Winter Tires" changes the PSM threshold for intervention. More wheelspin is allowed and slightly greater slip angles. Basically it's to allow driving in the snow without constant intervention from the PSM system. I actually find the car more fun to drive when set to winter. I have thought about leaving it set to winter year round.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:25 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by small car lover
On my 09 Cayman S changing to "Winter Tires" changes the PSM threshold for intervention. More wheelspin is allowed and slightly greater slip angles. Basically it's to allow driving in the snow without constant intervention from the PSM system. I actually find the car more fun to drive when set to winter. I have thought about leaving it set to winter year round.
Wow, very interesting. I'm new to Porsches and am ever impressed with out stupidly complicated everything is. :-D

Quick Reply: TPMS 'Winter Tire' Setting - What does it change?