Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Cayman that got away

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 04:37 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts
Default The Cayman that got away

Hi folks,

I was a long time 944 owner and have been without a P-car for several years. I found a very clean 2007 Cayman base model, 2.7l, with 96k miles, 5 speed manual, for sale locally. It went to an Indie this morning for a PPI. I arranged with the shop to look at the oil filter for debris first before proceeding with any further work. If that was okay the next step was to drop the oil pan and boresope the cylinders, starting with banks 4,5,6 first. Then if that was okay, continue to inspect everything else. Basically, if the first two steps were clean I was going to buy the car, barring strong evidence of a bad accident.

Well, I got a phone call this morning from the shop. They found quite a bit of plastic debris in the oil filter. The oil also had a lot of metal particulate (he called it sparkly). To me, the plastic in the filter has to be disintegrating cam chain guides. The fine metal bits in the oil must be either a failing IMS or perhaps rod bearing material. In any case I am passing on the car.

Anyone have thoughts of what else the material in the filter and oil could be?

The search continues...

Joel
Old 11-15-2019, 07:11 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Metal, not enough info. The plastic, depending upon colour, could also be the variocam mechanism. It might be worth a stink bid? I'd look for an S anyway.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:12 AM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

The current owner owes on the car, so I don't think he'll take a "roller" offer. It is back on NH Craigslist. I also wonder if the black bits in the filter are part of the IMS seal instead of actual plastic. In any case I'm not taking the risk.

Joel
Old 11-16-2019, 03:44 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 358 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel987
The current owner owes on the car, so I don't think he'll take a "roller" offer. It is back on NH Craigslist. I also wonder if the black bits in the filter are part of the IMS seal instead of actual plastic. In any case I'm not taking the risk.

Joel
Good for you! It can be tough walking away from a car. We involve our feelings and heart at a time when our brain and calculation should take over. There are many more out there, you’ll find one!

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Quick Reply: The Cayman that got away