Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1640 code, check engine light.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default P1640 code, check engine light.

Yesterday I was driving my car and I turned it on and it ran a little rough for like 5 seconds And then went back to normal. The check engine light turned on checked the code and it is a p1640 code. I have read that it is a ECM related code. I had my battery go flat about a month ago and I jumped the fuse box jump to open the frunk then jump started the battery. That caused my airbag light to come on I have since reset the light. Could that jump start have caused an issue with this code as well? My car is a 2009 Porsche Boxster PDK 2.9
Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

This is what AllDataDIY has to say about that code:

P1640

Diagnosis information - CAN

Fault entry in specified control module

NOTE: Internal function test completed.

Diagnostic conditions
The control module initially tests internal function sequences after wake-up. If they are OK, all diagnosable outputs are then tested and any faults are stored. Control module wake-up through:
  • event-induced CAN message
  • wake-up signal via wake-up line
  • key contact (terminal S)
  • "Ignition on"
Possible fault causes
  • Control module is incorrectly coded
  • Periphery connected to specified control module is incorrect
  • Control module faulty (in most cases the cause is not the control module but incorrect coding.)
Fault effects
  • The specified control module sends only substitute values via the CAN.
  • Other control modules detect these substitute values and set this fault code.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answer your question - dunno. Damage can be done to solid state devices by high-voltage transients running around the electrical system. Sometimes the damage doesn't appear for some time. Most electronics is better protected against this sort of damage then when solid-state first appeared in cars. High-voltage transients can be generated by the spark of hooking up a live battery to a car with a dead battery.

If it was me..

1. I'd clear the code and see if it reappears.
2. If it reappears you're going to have to visit someone with a PIWIS (dealer or Porsche specific independent..)
Old 11-07-2019, 09:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
This is what AllDataDIY has to say about that code:

P1640

Diagnosis information - CAN

Fault entry in specified control module

NOTE: Internal function test completed.

Diagnostic conditions
The control module initially tests internal function sequences after wake-up. If they are OK, all diagnosable outputs are then tested and any faults are stored. Control module wake-up through:
  • event-induced CAN message
  • wake-up signal via wake-up line
  • key contact (terminal S)
  • "Ignition on"
Possible fault causes
  • Control module is incorrectly coded
  • Periphery connected to specified control module is incorrect
  • Control module faulty (in most cases the cause is not the control module but incorrect coding.)
Fault effects
  • The specified control module sends only substitute values via the CAN.
  • Other control modules detect these substitute values and set this fault code.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To answer your question - dunno. Damage can be done to solid state devices by high-voltage transients running around the electrical system. Sometimes the damage doesn't appear for some time. Most electronics is better protected against this sort of damage then when solid-state first appeared in cars. High-voltage transients can be generated by the spark of hooking up a live battery to a car with a dead battery.

If it was me..

1. I'd clear the code and see if it reappears.
2. If it reappears you're going to have to visit someone with a PIWIS (dealer or Porsche specific independent..)
Thank you, I reset the code hopefully it does not return.

Quick Reply: P1640 code, check engine light.