Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Boxster Alarm System Details

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:31 AM
jferguson6
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 987 Boxster Alarm System Details

Does anyone have any information on the factory alarm system for the 987 Boxster? The manual does not provide any details on the system.
Specifically, when I lock my car, it blinks twice. Is this correct behavior, or does it mean something was left opened? Troubleshooting my frunk light (doesn't go on all the time)
Thanks
Old 10-29-2019, 12:45 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

On my 987.2 CS, it blinks twice when I lock it and once when I unlock it. Suspect this might be standard for all Boxsters and Caymans.
The following users liked this post:
jferguson6 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:46 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

And if a door or trunk is open - the little horn in the battery compartment beeps to remind you to check.
The following users liked this post:
jferguson6 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:55 PM
skidpalace
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
And if a door or trunk is open - the little horn in the battery compartment beeps to remind you to check.
Is there an option to have the car beep when locked? I thought I read that is a PIWIS selectable option? I'd like to have that enabled as there are many instances when I cannot see the lights flash. If so, is there a way to enable this without a trip to the dealer/indy?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Tb News
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
Is there an option to have the car beep when locked? I thought I read that is a PIWIS selectable option? I'd like to have that enabled as there are many instances when I cannot see the lights flash. If so, is there a way to enable this without a trip to the dealer/indy?

I would also like to know if this can be done. I'm always staring at my lights when i lock it just to make sure.(wife thought I was crazy at first).A small honk like every other car would be awesome.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM
jferguson6
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

First thanks for those that helped answer my question.

And I also would like to have the horn sound when armed. I was checking my previous post regarding programming with the durametric professional version where I outlined all the possible configurations but couldn’t see anything to set this.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:44 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jferguson6
Does anyone have any information on the factory alarm system for the 987 Boxster? The manual does not provide any details on the system.
Specifically, when I lock my car, it blinks twice. Is this correct behavior, or does it mean something was left opened? Troubleshooting my frunk light (doesn't go on all the time)
Thanks
And, just to be amusing, this Porsche standard is exactly the reverse of BMW. Having both brands, it means I have to think twice when locking. BMW's is easier - Double flash (and sound) for unlock - just like saying it. Un - Lock. Just one for lock, just like the single syllable "Lock". So I have to say to myself "I'm in my Porsche so it's backwards. It's blinking "un-lock". So that means it's locked.

On the plus side, I can just try to open the door to check and if it doesn't open - it's locked. On the BMW, with easy access, it happily unlocks when I touch the handle, negating my "Let's make sure it's locked".
Old 10-30-2019, 08:12 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

The flashing of the lights upon lock/unlock is standard behavior for Boxster/Cayman 987s. Neither Durametric or PIWIS has the option to enable/disable a beep upon locking or unlocking.
I agree, an audible signal that the car is locked or unlocked is much preferable to having to watch for some flashing lights - the only recourse that I know of is the RemoteKEY module (no business affiliation) . This allows the user to set up several different sets of lock/unlock beeps as well as other useful options that are missing from the standard vehicle.
Easily installed near the fuse box, it allowed me to have the double beep upon locking and silence when unlocking.
Now if one could get a key fob with separate lock and unlock buttons, that would be fantastic!
Old 10-31-2019, 02:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by ochristofferson
The flashing of the lights upon lock/unlock is standard behavior for Boxster/Cayman 987s. Neither Durametric or PIWIS has the option to enable/disable a beep upon locking or unlocking.
I agree, an audible signal that the car is locked or unlocked is much preferable to having to watch for some flashing lights - the only recourse that I know of is the RemoteKEY module (no business affiliation) . This allows the user to set up several different sets of lock/unlock beeps as well as other useful options that are missing from the standard vehicle.
Easily installed near the fuse box, it allowed me to have the double beep upon locking and silence when unlocking.
Now if one could get a key fob with separate lock and unlock buttons, that would be fantastic!
This one?: https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/i...products&cat=1

Bit pricey to add a beep.. https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/i...ode=view&id=49

I realize it does a lot more than add the beep - but I can't see anything compelling that it adds to justify the price. Mebbe I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:04 PM
ochristofferson
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
This one?: https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/i...products&cat=1

Bit pricey to add a beep.. https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/i...ode=view&id=49

I realize it does a lot more than add the beep - but I can't see anything compelling that it adds to justify the price. Mebbe I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Yes that is the one. Pricey - yes. But if you really want an audible, what other options do you have (especially since it is a Porsche)?

Quick Reply: 987 Boxster Alarm System Details