Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed - insulating strips behind driver & passenger, hatch window

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Clickbeast
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice needed - insulating strips behind driver & passenger, hatch window

I bought a 2015 981 GTS, and recently drove it home. It has a CPO warranty, and I took it for an oil change and an initial service registration at my local dealer.

I had noticed that behind the driver / passenger's seat, there was foam strips starting to pop out from the plastic frame that has those 2 storage pockets. There's also a bit under the hatch window, on the left and right sides. I added a picture showing these things.

I thought this was just maybe a Porsche defect, but when I took it for service they told me that those strips were not factory, it must've been added by the previous owner.

I had a slight rattling issue behind the driver's seat, and when I placed my hand on one the plastic lid of the storage box, the rattling stops. I tucked in the insulating pieces you see in the picture, so it's actually cleaner looking than before. It does seem to fix the rattling but might have been circumstantial.

1) What would you do? Remove all those bits and see if there's rattling issues and try to address it cleanly? Tuck it in and adjust as needed?

2) Can't figure out why there's some under the left and right side of the rear hatch glass, included 2 shots in the images. Removed 1 one inch chunk that was loose.

3) Ever seen anything like this?

None of it seems stuck to the frame, or struggle to either be tucked in or removed.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Clickbeast
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump in case anyone has any good advice! Still scratching my head
Old 11-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

There were some people that mentioned or had issues with the rear hatch rattling. Do a quick Google search on “ Cayman Hatch Rattles “ and tons of info comes up.

Read post # 8 I’m this thread regarding rattles from the rear cubbies.
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-resolved.html

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=983491

‘My thought is that the previous owner was trying to chase down some squeaks or rattles and didn’t do a tidy job of tucking the foam into the seams. If you currently don’t have any squeaks or rattles tidy up the foam bits and leave well enough alone - just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Advice needed - insulating strips behind driver & passenger, hatch window