Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Year's long hatch rattle resolved

Old 03-12-2017, 06:58 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Year's long hatch rattle resolved

For longer than I care to remember, I've had a rattle in the right rear quarter of my 09 CS that would vary from hardly there to sounding like a rock in a hubcap (for those of you who remember hubcaps). I concluded it was in the rear hatch frame and removed the hatch trim several times in trying to isolate it. Finally with the help of a usb borescope on my cell phone, I found this bolt up in the top right corner of the frame. I was able to get it out using a magnet stuck in the end of a vinyl tube. The bolt is the same as used for connecting the hatch frame to the hinge pieces and is obviously left over from manufacturing. It must have initially been lodged tight and over time worked its way free to merrily bounce around. Just though I'd share this.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting...my 09 cay from new has a thunk from the rear trunk.....the right side hatch hinge was lose and dealer fixed it some years ago but every so often the noise is still there
Old 03-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure love when i find and resolve a rattle. Actually very few things make me happier, thats how crazy they make me.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:58 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

You know, for the looks of it, it might have never been installed. Maybe the factory worker dropped it, and just put another one. At any rate, good find. I also like to chase rattles and squeaks myself. And yes, it's a great feeling of accomplishment when you nail a pesky one. He he. Having said that, I have a hatch rattle, but don't know if it was introduced by the tint guy who screwed up the install and had to remove the inside trim around the window (without knowing how it was attached), or it was from the factory. Was done right away, but tend to think it was the former. Seems solid. Tried messing with the rubber stops on the hatch, but that's not it in my case. Might be the cubby holes, but not sure. Only rattles on broken pavement, but would like to fix it. Would have to let my wife drive and see if I can reach to the back and try to supress it, to pinpoint its location. Hopefully somebody else will find it first.

Last edited by JCtx; 03-16-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:50 AM
newold_m
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to remove the hatch trim and chase a couple rattles as well. Major annoyance for me was the b-pillar one and I'm still fighting with that 13 mm bolt holding the small window.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM
bernb6
Instructor

For those needing to remove the hatch trim, here's a link that really helps.
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/misc...26quot-3b.html
As you take the trim off, keep in mind that the little rubber squares on the connectors need to be saved. And if you take off the side and top trim, there are about 6 or 8 little rubber bumpers to protect.
Bern
Old 03-16-2017, 06:47 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bernb6
The bolt is the same as used for connecting the hatch frame to the hinge pieces and is obviously left over from manufacturing. It must have initially been lodged tight and over time worked its way free to merrily bounce around.
Bern, you are not alone. I think the majority of us here have a screw loose.

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the intel.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bernb6
For those needing to remove the hatch trim, here's a link that really helps.
Thanks man. My noise seems to come from the cubby area, or such, but you know how noise can travel, so it very well could be coming from that thing. I'll probably remove the entire trim, also the one around the window, to see if I can isolate it from the metal. It could be that too. It pops inward, towards the center of the rear window. The stupid window tint installer was pushing it down, rather than inward. Maybe that's why it could be making noise.

Hey, where exactly was your bolt? Don't quite get it where it was. A picture would be nice, just to know where it was. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 AM
bernb6
Instructor

JC, I wish I'd taken a still of the bolt when I first saw it. It was in the right upper corner of the hatch. I remember from some time ago when trying to isolate it, I had the hatch open and was pounding on it and heard the rattle move from the lower corner to the upper corner. Once in the upper corner, it was captured in a local area that would not let it tumble back down.
Bern
Old 03-17-2017, 03:14 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Don't worry. Just wanted to know which hole you used to fish it out. Still can't picture where it was lodged. Take care.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Year's long hatch rattle resolved