Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Shifting to Neutral Question

Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 PM
Cam07
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default PDK Shifting to Neutral Question

Hello all - This has now happened to me twice and I wanted to confirm this should not be a concern. I have been in sports + mode and pushed up on the gear lever (vs paddles) to shift up. However, I wasn’t switched over to manual mode so the transmission went into neutral. I immediately shifted back down to drive.

Would this ever cause any damage? I know the PDK transmission is extremely well designed and some have even mentioned that you can pull both paddles simultaneously and it’ll go into neutral while driving - just wasn’t sure if it’d be different with the actual gear lever.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2019, 10:40 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,143 Likes on 759 Posts

The only risk I could imagine is if the ECU doesn't limit engine revs when in neutral and you experience an over-rev condition (since you were probably also on the gas pedal when you did this..) Other than that, I can't imagine what it would hurt. It just means both clutches would be disengaged.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:12 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
The only risk I could imagine is if the ECU doesn't limit engine revs when in neutral and you experience an over-rev condition (since you were probably also on the gas pedal when you did this..) Other than that, I can't imagine what it would hurt. It just means both clutches would be disengaged.
Agreed.

I think the PDK prevents you from doing anything horribly wrong to the drive train. It won't let you..
It only lets you drive it "nicer".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDK Shifting to Neutral Question