Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Casually looking.. but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 01:02 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts
Default Casually looking.. but...

I'm kinda casually looking for a toy car. A 2009-2011 Cayman or Cayman S would probably be suitable, but I have only found one that even came close to what I want - and that one was in California.

1. I'm looking for a color other than black. Whites good. Yellow is fine. Blues are OK. Silver is sorta OK. Gray is OK. Black is NOT OK. I learned that lesson after the last 3-4 cars I bought that were black. They look good for about 50 seconds after you're done polishing them..

2. Prefer an interior other than black but could live with one I guess.

3. Want PDK (I'm old and NJ traffic isn't getting any better, the thrill of clutches left me when my last BMW M-Coupe left the garage) and here are the tough ones:

4. Want power seats. Apparently, they will move up a bit higher than the pump-up seat, which I found left me feeling like I was sitting in a deep bathtub. Also because I'm old and creaky - power seats let me move my position around a bit when on longer drives (like from NJ to CA back to NJ - which I do way too often). The early 987.2 power seats seem a rarity.

5. I want a PCM at least as new as the one in my CTT - and it looks like 2010 is when they started putting something reasonable in.

6. I need a backup camera and/or distance beepers for the rear. I can manage the front without aids (although I do like them on my Cayenne) - but old and creaky make it difficult to figure out exactly where the rear of the Cayman is, especially when sitting in a deep bathtub. I can't see the end of it (I didn't try putting the spoiler up, that might help a bit..) It looks like about 2 cars were ordered with the "parking assist" option, and only one is for sale and it's in California (and I think it's a 6 speed) and I dunno where the other one is. Probably Florida. It seems all Caymans on EBAY come from Florida or end up there sometime. Wonder what's up with that?

Oh - and I'd' like all this for around $30k. I'm not afraid of miles as long as there is evidence of service.

Anyone know where a unicorn like this might be found? Wonder how much it would cost to wrap a black one in a lighter color...?
Old 08-25-2019, 01:24 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to know, there were only about 5000 Caymans imported between 2009-2012 (987.2). So when you start trying to narrow down your search with 5-6 specific parameters, the selection gets infinitesimally smaller (maybe even zero)
The following users liked this post:
PhillyNate (09-11-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by billwot
You need to know, there were only about 5000 Caymans imported between 2009-2012 (987.2). So when you start trying to narrow down your search with 5-6 specific parameters, the selection gets infinitesimally smaller (maybe even zero)
I realize that - which is why I posted here. Figure some people here may know of vehicles for sale that come close to my desires that haven't been listed on the web yet.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 PM
777AIA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

PCM and back-up camera puts you later than, what? ...2009?
Backup camera option: Pearl RearVision projects to your phone sitting on dash-mount.
lots of other options... replace 2 din radio... add camera.
Small $$ by comparison....
Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 AM
deilenberger
Banned

2009 and on didn't have IMSB. Enough said? It's not about accessories, it's about having an engine without a fatal factory flaw or two.

Quick Reply: Casually looking.. but...