Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate my 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my 2nd gear

I have a BC 981 PDK. If I'm in 1st gear and give it quite a bit of throttle, the transmission UPSHIFTS for some reason instead of staying in 1st, even though I'm nowhere near redline. And we all know how little torque the BC has in low RPM... it's quite annoying. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-17-2019, 07:25 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Any other gremlins at all? I had this issue, but it was an actual problem with the electronics and there were other symptoms/weird-things going on.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Poirier
I have a BC 981 PDK. If I'm in 1st gear and give it quite a bit of throttle, the transmission UPSHIFTS for some reason instead of staying in 1st, even though I'm nowhere near redline. And we all know how little torque the BC has in low RPM... it's quite annoying. Anyone else experience this?
Try it again, but in Sport or Sport Plus mode. If you do it in "normal" mode, you get fuel-economy shifting, which means the car upshifts as soon as it can and stays in the highest gear it can.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:40 AM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Originally Posted by BillC3
Try it again, but in Sport or Sport Plus mode. If you do it in "normal" mode, you get fuel-economy shifting, which means the car upshifts as soon as it can and stays in the highest gear it can.
I'm always in sport mode.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Originally Posted by GT4John
Any other gremlins at all? I had this issue, but it was an actual problem with the electronics and there were other symptoms/weird-things going on.
No other issues. The car is perfect except for that. And I'm not even sure it's an actual issue, might just be how the transmission is programmed. Having a Cayman S might resolve it lol.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^ or a manual transmission..
The following users liked this post:
scootr (11-20-2021)
Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Use sport plus mode or put it in manual mode and control it yourself. Keep in mind that first gear at full throttle runs out pretty quickly...
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

PDK 'short-shifting" out of 1st gear too soon is the one thing I don't like about my Cayman Base. More than once while merging into slow-moving traffic, I have needed PDK to stay in 1st gear to "hold" the torque, only to have it unpredictably and illogically upshift into 2nd, leaving me with no real torque to complete the merge without going to a full-throttle induced downshift. I get that there are "workarounds" by using Sport or Manual mode, but in my case at least, Sport and/or Manual aren't always the best options for the type of driving situation I'm in. Besides, one shouldn't have to remember a workaround in order to merge into traffic.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Originally Posted by TMc993
PDK 'short-shifting" out of 1st gear too soon is the one thing I don't like about my Cayman Base. More than once while merging into slow-moving traffic, I have needed PDK to stay in 1st gear to "hold" the torque, only to have it unpredictably and illogically upshift into 2nd, leaving me with no real torque to complete the merge without going to a full-throttle induced downshift. I get that there are "workarounds" by using Sport or Manual mode, but in my case at least, Sport and/or Manual aren't always the best options for the type of driving situation I'm in. Besides, one shouldn't have to remember a workaround in order to merge into traffic.
I couldn't have said it better myself! I think that's why most people opt for the "S" with added torque & HP.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:54 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

You could always go with PDK tuning from Cobb as well. Unless that's another "workaround"...
Old 08-18-2019, 11:29 AM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
You could always go with PDK tuning from Cobb as well. Unless that's another "workaround"...
Do you know if this would void factory warranty?
Old 08-18-2019, 12:26 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Use sport plus mode or put it in manual mode and control it yourself. Keep in mind that first gear at full throttle runs out pretty quickly...
AFAIK, there is no Sport+ mode in the Base Cayman. At least mine does NOT have it.
Just has "Sport Mode".. n' that's all I need.

Switching to Manual Shift mode is the answer here. It works MARVELOUSLY for me.
I upshift using the control stick and downshift using the left button.. don't want to develop any bad habits before getting the sport steering wheel with proper paddles.

Standard Drive mode is for fuel economy and girls that just want to hear the radio.
In this mode, none of the gears get much past 2K RPM.. n' I agree its very annoying.

Go to Manual Shift mode to control the revs in either Standard or Sport modes. Higher revs (above 4K RPM) is where you really start to experience the soul of the car.

However, don't go past 3K RPM when she's cold.. let her warm up to operating temp first.. and then have a blast.
Which is another reason why I don't like Std Mode. IMO, it doesn't rev high enough to keep the oil pressure up when that cold.

I find there's plenty of torque (and speed) in all gears shifting around 4K - 5K RPM. It makes the car is LIGHTENING QUICK.
I can launch plenty hard in Manual+Sport modes in 1st gear. I rarely get past 5th gear anymore.. even when cruising.

I test drove a CaymanS in Std. Drive mode and was entirely underwhelmed, even in Sport+... The owner of the car never used Manual Shift mode either.
My base Cayman in Manual Mode has tons more power and torque than that CaymanS in Std Drive mode.

Manual Shift mode is the answer!! It rocks!
Old 08-18-2019, 03:29 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Yeah, it pretty much is and an expensive one at that. I just find it fairly silly that a 1914 Cayman can't be expected to merge into slow-moving traffic as well as my 1997 Ford Ranger does.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just be aware the PDK electronics learns or adapts to the driver's style. Get a dealer who knows what they are doing and reset the PDK to defaults and then consistently drive the car the way you want it and it may improve.

V6
Old 08-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Martin Poirier
Track Day

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Just be aware the PDK electronics learns or adapts to the driver's style. Get a dealer who knows what they are doing and reset the PDK to defaults and then consistently drive the car the way you want it and it may improve.

V6
Apparently, you can do it yourself. This is for the Panamera, but it might work for the Cayman/Boxster:
https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...procedure.html

Quick Reply: I hate my 2nd gear