Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint work affects on Trade In

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:22 PM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Is there a general consensus on whether to leave chips and scratches or to get it repainted? In my view, fixing it, as long as it’s done right is the right way to go. However, some people can see non original painted areas better than others and maybe that would be more undesirable.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:06 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
Is there a general consensus on whether to leave chips and scratches or to get it repainted? In my view, fixing it, as long as it’s done right is the right way to go. However, some people can see non original painted areas better than others and maybe that would be more undesirable.
I always blend and avoid resprays where possible.

My spyder had a small 2" rash mark from where the guy pulled into a parking spot and scraped on a concrete barrier. Very very small. He blended it and that was it. I was happy about that as the paint meters still read correctly as opposed to risking it with a respray. The only way you can even tell (and it's clear bra'd over it now) is if you are literally lying on the ground and your eyes are within a foot of it in the right lighting.

At the end of the day, these are cars. They're meant to be driven. Stuff happens. Just document everything (before/after) and you'll be fine with either direction. My $0.02. I have owned a lot of cars, and never had an issue following that.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by grendelrt
Yeah combination of all those things you said, plus timelines. I just got back from a couple dealers and already got a much higher offer, so I am feeling pretty good now I do appreciate the replies, that first dealer visit through me for a loop, but it seems to be an outlier.
That's great news! I'm glad to hear that it settled your fears and you'll be getting what you want out of it.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

For those of us looking for cars without paintwork, I’m curious to know who this first dealer is.

I’m also curious if they have a Porsche Classic department, I seriously doubt they can adhere to the no paintwork rule on the older cars.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:52 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AZWCat
I'd much prefer to simply use touch-up on a chip or scratch vs. sanding/blending/spraying. It leaves no doubt on resale. That said, there are simply situations where that won't work.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

CAR dealers are car dealers, if you come in to buy a car it is Unique and great. Al is well, paintwork does not affect value.

if you turn around and sell them the same car it will be of par, hard to sell, paintwork Will be a problem.

in reality there are many cars having had paintwork done before delevery to first owner. Dealer Will not inform you about it. Cars get damaged during transport al the time, dealers respray damages and do not inform their clients. You should in fact test every new car.

glws
Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 AM
grendelrt
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For those of us looking for cars without paintwork, I’m curious to know who this first dealer is.

I’m also curious if they have a Porsche Classic department, I seriously doubt they can adhere to the no paintwork rule on the older cars.
First dealer was Euroclassics in Midlothian VA. Guess if I find a car their that is one issue I have to worry less about (but will stick check haha)

Car has listed for sale by the dealer I sold it to, was waiting to reply to PMs until I knew where it ended up, they have multiple dealerships in the area.

Quick Reply: Paint work affects on Trade In