Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copart Cayman S - DANGER ZONE

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shus2006croc
Dude.....you stole my story!

My 06 CS in Lapis Blue. Salvage title as well.

Sounds like min work like mine. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Seems like theres more of "us" out there than I thought !! Awesome thread !!
Old 06-27-2019, 11:29 AM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by NJR1986
Seems like theres more of "us" out there than I thought !! Awesome thread !!
I mean honestly, if you don't plan on selling it and just plan on driving the hell out of it, what's it matter if your title has rebuilt in it?

I won't be taking my 2010 base boxster with PDK to Concours anytime soon lol
Old 06-27-2019, 11:35 AM
MB2Porsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and on a quest for a wrecked Porsche. Glad to see there are other crazy gear heads like me out there. . Coming from the Mercedes world I am not particularly worried about buying a wrecked car. As long as you know what you are doing and can make a good assessment of what the car needs. The only thing that I would caution is the salvage title. Even though I think they offer great value, they are very hard to sell.

On a side note, I see many of your doing your own work. While it is good to have a few pics on the forum the issue here is that forums don't have a good format. Also, a few months or years the pictures disappear or the only way to find these great DIYs is via Google. With that said, I would take a look at YOUCANIC Community platform which lets you Post DIY projects for free. You can embed as many pics as you like. It is nice because the posts look great and they are easy to share or find.

The other reasons that I think it is good keeping track of the work is that when the time comes to sell the car, the next buyer will ask about the damage or what you have done to the car. If you have a few posts showing all of that, it helps with the sale.

Again thank you all for sharing your expertise.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:00 PM
NJR1986
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast
I mean honestly, if you don't plan on selling it and just plan on driving the hell out of it, what's it matter if your title has rebuilt in it?

I couldn't agree more ! I mean do plan on selling it at some point ... But I've had relative success selling rebuilt titles before. All about documentation, and of course, finding the right buyer. I will admit, it does take longer, but only takes one person who understands what happened, the work done, and who wants to get in the game for below market value.

All about expectations as the seller as well, never going to get top dollar, rarely end up in the black, but as long as youre okay with that, its not a bad way to get into the market.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM
MB2Porsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree. It took me 8 months one time to sell a Mercedes E Class with Restored title.

The issue is that even if someone likes the car with a restored title if the vehicle is over $10k they will most likely get a loan. And it is difficult getting loans for car with a salvage title.

If it is a vehicle with salvage title in the $3k to $8k people usually can come up with cash.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM
Libast
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by MB2Porsche
Totally agree. It took me 8 months one time to sell a Mercedes E Class with Restored title.

The issue is that even if someone likes the car with a restored title if the vehicle is over $10k they will most likely get a loan. And it is difficult getting loans for car with a salvage title.

If it is a vehicle with salvage title in the $3k to $8k people usually can come up with cash.
USAA did not care about the two salvage titles (salvaged in California, retitled in Minnesota)(and eventual rebuilt Oklahoma) title on mine. They only cared about the value.
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM
shus2006croc
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Libast

This is exactly my perspective. I thought long and hard before buying a 987.1 and particulary an S.

I too have an engineering day job and made sure I knew the risks I would take buying a salvage title. I canvassed cars and reduced my risk by finding one that an insurance company bought back. Also and fortuately the previous two owners took care of the car and with exception of the front end accident the engine was maintained.

For half the market value I intend on having a great time drivng a great car. If something happens to the engine I.ll fix it or sell it. It is hard to put a value on the fun part in between. When I.m tired if it I.ll sell it and maybe buy another or maybe a new one.

I checked this car out ten ways to Sunday before I bought it.

Funny things is after thinking about it....I could have afforded to buy a new one. I really like the color and thw look of the 987. My wife claims its the "hips"

Think she is right.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:28 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by thebeefbaron

List of items to be fixed:
  • Replace transmission fluid
  • Fix plastic piece on the rear spoiler
  • Install windshield washer tank, fix leak in bumper line
  • Check IMS bearing replacement
  • Check air filter
  • Check engine belts
  • Replace hood (obviously)
  • Left fender has a large dent near headlight, plenty of scratches
  • Right fender has small dent on top surface, plenty of scratches
  • Bumper has small scratch on right side
  • Interior panel that runs along pillar isn't secured properly
  • Reattach amp connection to battery
  • Driver's side visor is sagging
  • Replace tires
  • Replace rear brake pads
  • Check engine ground strap
  • Check coolant level

Would anyone recommend anything else to check before I start driving this thing regularly and at the track?
Wow, I'd say you scored. After one weekend you're driving it. Schweet!

I'd re-prioritize the list a little bit.
Look! I did it for you.

1. Check engine ground strap
2. Reattach amp connection to battery
Sort those electrical matters first. They don't sound like they're that big a deal. Get 'em sorted to avoid odd, hard to diagnose problems later.

3. Engine Cover Off:
Replace the Water Pump, Idler Pulley, Idler Tensioner, Serp Belt & air filter.

4. Replace tires (if the tires are > 4 years old OR worn, move this up on the list)
5. Replace transmission fluid
6. Replace those Shifter cables!
7. Replace rear brake pads
8. Check/Replace Clutch & IMS bearing as needed
AFAIK you don't need to split the engine case to replace the IMS Bearing. Gets done with Clutch Service.
9. Windshield waster tank.

I enjoyed that. So much easier said than done.. I know.

Congrats man, you made a major score on this one.
I am a little disappointed, seems like all you have is maintenance matters to attend to.

Standing by to see some sweet mods!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:40 PM
57staff
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
AFAIK you don't need to split the engine case to replace the IMS Bearing. Gets done with Clutch Service.

If it's a M97 engine, you will have to split the case. I hear there are some that will drill out the bearing and replace it but not sure if I would trust that.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJR1986
Also, forgot to mention, when looking into certain vehicles, I got the carfax reports and from time to time it will tell which dealer the particular car was serviced at; I've had some luck with reaching out to that specific dealer and asking if they could provide me with the service history. Usually they are pretty helpful, the just omit the personal information of the previous owner. Worth a shot !
Yes I decided to use Autocheck but it didn't seem to have any maintenance records that I'm used to seeing. Carfax might have been a better choice.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:05 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by andy7777
Of course they have a database, it's matched to VIN. Ask your local dealer nicely to run it for you, I did it for my 07 Boxster and got a summary listing. You won't get much detail, and the dealer that did the work probably won't give you the actual record, but if the OP had it serviced under warranty or anytime after it expired through a Porsche dealer you'll have records.
Yes I agree, when I'm there in person I'll probably press a little harder to see if this is something they can provide. Also possible the specific person I was talking to was uninformed or trying to push me towards a more expensive inspection? Not entirely sure.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:05 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shus2006croc

Dude.....you stole my story!

My 06 CS in Lapis Blue. Salvage title as well.

Sounds like min work like mine. Just drive it and enjoy it.
Looks great! Yeah I might keep my eye out for a reasonably cheap hood but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MB2Porsche
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and on a quest for a wrecked Porsche. Glad to see there are other crazy gear heads like me out there. . Coming from the Mercedes world I am not particularly worried about buying a wrecked car. As long as you know what you are doing and can make a good assessment of what the car needs. The only thing that I would caution is the salvage title. Even though I think they offer great value, they are very hard to sell.

On a side note, I see many of your doing your own work. While it is good to have a few pics on the forum the issue here is that forums don't have a good format. Also, a few months or years the pictures disappear or the only way to find these great DIYs is via Google. With that said, I would take a look at YOUCANIC Community platform which lets you Post DIY projects for free. You can embed as many pics as you like. It is nice because the posts look great and they are easy to share or find.

The other reasons that I think it is good keeping track of the work is that when the time comes to sell the car, the next buyer will ask about the damage or what you have done to the car. If you have a few posts showing all of that, it helps with the sale.

Again thank you all for sharing your expertise.
https://pelicanparts.com is a massively valuable resource for Porsche owners. The tutorials have been very helpful so far. Yes I'm not happy with the forum interfaces either, lots of wasted space. It's also difficult to take a lot of the information seriously, I've read a lot of conflicting information on various topics. In general it also seems like the Porsche community (no offense intended!) is less DIY than, for example, the Miata community. So far everything on this car seems very easy to work on, but we'll see as I get deeper into the car.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 57staff

If it's a M97 engine, you will have to split the case. I hear there are some that will drill out the bearing and replace it but not sure if I would trust that.
I've read that the M97 engine they put into the Cayman S had a better IMS bearing, and is less likely to need replacement. Absolutely will still check, but is this accurate?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:29 PM
thebeefbaron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Wow, I'd say you scored. After one weekend you're driving it. Schweet!

I'd re-prioritize the list a little bit.
Look! I did it for you.

1. Check engine ground strap
2. Reattach amp connection to battery
Sort those electrical matters first. They don't sound like they're that big a deal. Get 'em sorted to avoid odd, hard to diagnose problems later.

3. Engine Cover Off:
Replace the Water Pump, Idler Pulley, Idler Tensioner, Serp Belt & air filter.

4. Replace tires (if the tires are > 4 years old OR worn, move this up on the list)
5. Replace transmission fluid
6. Replace those Shifter cables!
7. Replace rear brake pads
9. Windshield waster tank.

I enjoyed that. So much easier said than done.. I know.

Congrats man, you made a major score on this one.
I am a little disappointed, seems like all you have is maintenance matters to attend to.

Standing by to see some sweet mods!
Thanks for the help! I'll look into the water pump replacement. Why the emphasis on the idler pulley, tensioner, and water pump? I would have hoped that most of those failures would be benign assuming I'm paying attention. Also hard to diagnose that they're old from looking at them, unlike the belt.

In terms of the shifter cables, the "feel" of the manual transmission is not as tight as I would have expected. The 2004 Boxster I drove felt even sloppier, so maybe this is normal? It's much worse than my Miata or even my old Accord. I'm guessing the bushings are at fault, but I hadn't considered the cables. I've also looked into some of the short shifter kits that seem like they would also fix some of the bushings and the long-ish throw in one fell swoop.

Quick Reply: Copart Cayman S - DANGER ZONE