Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I don’t think you could blip fast enough to beat the computers rev matching capabilities.

‘If you enjoy heel / toeing you can simply select “ Sport “ as opposed to Sport plus. Rev matching only operates in the Sport Plus mode. The other way you you could “ manually “ turn of rev matching is to turn off the PSM - I wouldn’t recommend that for street driving.

I’m frequent western PA a bit to enjoy the roads out there - search some of my posts to see the roads I frequent . What part of PA Are you in ?
Old 06-09-2019, 05:27 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Didn't know if I should start another thread on this: Automatic rev matching on a manual when down shifting - is it overridden if done manually? If I blip the revs to downshift, does the computer just consider the where the RPMs are and not engage the auto function? I mean that's where the fun is in driving - heal/toe.
My JLC is the Master Ultra Thin Moon (silver dial), and my Explorer II is the polar dial. They're the crown jewels in my "collection"- for now. Funny you say that watches are less expensive than cars... but I'm currently consider adding either an E46 M3 or an Audi RS4 and I could liquidate all my watches and buy the car cash. I won't do it though, I get different levels of enjoyment from the watches and the cars.

Don't worry about another thread; automatic rev matching is only "on" when in sport+ on a car equipped with sport chrono. It's turned off all other times but as far as I know you can't turn it off in Sport+. It does not cancel out when you try to heel-toe manually; it's either on or off. I believe the auto rev matching was introduced with the 981, so it wouldn't apply to a 987. I actually enjoy the feature for track use, as I don't find the pedals placed very well for heel-toe, at least with my size 12s. I've never been a great heel-toer though so YMMV.

Also, check this out: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/. You can filter on what options/colors/etc. you want (including CPO), but it will only show inventory for Porsche dealers nationwide. I'd recommend buying from a dealer anyway, but I'm sure there are still great examples out there from private sellers and/or places like Carmax. You're just limited to tools like Autotrader to find those.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a

I don’t think you could blip fast enough to beat the computers rev matching capabilities.

‘If you enjoy heel / toeing you can simply select “ Sport “ as opposed to Sport plus. Rev matching only operates in the Sport Plus mode. The other way you you could “ manually “ turn of rev matching is to turn off the PSM - I wouldn’t recommend that for street driving.

I’m frequent western PA a bit to enjoy the roads out there - search some of my posts to see the roads I frequent . What part of PA Are you in ?
OK so selecting Sport will disengage the rev matching. Good to get an understanding of how that works.

I'm 12 min from downtown Pittsburgh. Some crazy roads here. More like rollercoasters. Twists, turns, up and down, but not like western US roads. A bit tighter and with less visibility of what's around the bend or over the hump. Everyone drives like Mario Andretti here. Not in a viscous way like back in NY where they need to beat you to the merge. But man, even little old ladies ride your tail if you're not driving 15mph over the limit.

If you ever plan on being here in Pittsburgh, I could take yours for a test drive to see just how that rev matching works ;P Just kidding, but certainly stop in for a beer or three. Maybe I'll be a proud Porsche owner by then .... or I could just take the Z

Originally Posted by manifold danger
My JLC is the Master Ultra Thin Moon (silver dial), and my Explorer II is the polar dial. They're the crown jewels in my "collection"- for now. Funny you say that watches are less expensive than cars... but I'm currently consider adding either an E46 M3 or an Audi RS4 and I could liquidate all my watches and buy the car cash. I won't do it though, I get different levels of enjoyment from the watches and the cars.

Don't worry about another thread; automatic rev matching is only "on" when in sport+ on a car equipped with sport chrono. It's turned off all other times but as far as I know you can't turn it off in Sport+. It does not cancel out when you try to heel-toe manually; it's either on or off. I believe the auto rev matching was introduced with the 981, so it wouldn't apply to a 987. I actually enjoy the feature for track use, as I don't find the pedals placed very well for heel-toe, at least with my size 12s. I've never been a great heel-toer though so YMMV.

Also, check this out: https://nationalpreownedporsche.com/. You can filter on what options/colors/etc. you want (including CPO), but it will only show inventory for Porsche dealers nationwide. I'd recommend buying from a dealer anyway, but I'm sure there are still great examples out there from private sellers and/or places like Carmax. You're just limited to tools like Autotrader to find those.
Once you start getting into Pateks/VCs then maybe you'd only need to sell one or two If you get into the hi-bling watches, they'd owe you change after they hand you the keys. I don't own either as I'm pretty much a sports watch guy, though I could do with a nice VC Overseas. Been on my list for a while, but moving and having the house renovated has taken up most of my time. Besides I've been trying to cut back lol

I've been stalking the NPOP site for the last few weeks. The search mostly works as intended. Dealers don't place all of their offerings there though - well it seems so, as I then go to that particular dealers site and see they have other vehicles listed as pre-owned and or CPO. Been stalking Cargurus, Carmax, Truecar, you name it. There's a pretty decent amount of offerings out there. I just have to decide what I want/don't want and drive some more cars. One also needs to do some vin searches when looking at those sites. Found quite a few listings that were actually salvage cars. They looked amazing, but I could never. I know guys that would buy floods and not think about it. Sometimes it worked out sometimes not. Me? I never even bought used. My luck, the wheels would fall off if I considered a salvage/flood. Guess if one were to just track the car and they knew how to wrench, they could get some really good deals out there for that.

Quick Reply: Buying Used