Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a weighted shift knob with Numeric SSK

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone using a weighted shift **** with Numeric SSK

I’ve had my Numeric SSK for a few years now in my 2012 Cayman S and recently installed the Numeric Racing cables as well. The SSK made a huge difference in shift feel versus stock and adding the cables has also made a very significant difference. The shifts are now super precise and mechanical and feel almost like a gated shifter.

I’m very happy with the current set-up, but am now entertaining adding a Raceseng Prolix weighted shift **** (about 685 g). As such, I’m wondering if anyone out there has the complete Numeric Racing set-up with a weighted shifter. If you do, any feedback that you may have would be appreciated.

P.S. The Numeric Racing set-up is almost a must in these cars as the stock shifter is sloppy. I lived with it for a couple of years until I picked up a manual 2016 S4 and realized how mushy the Cayman shifter was. FWIW, the difference is night and day.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:09 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nowakm99
I’ve had my Numeric SSK for a few years now in my 2012 Cayman S and recently installed the Numeric Racing cables as well.

P.S. The Numeric Racing set-up is almost a must in these cars as the stock shifter is sloppy. I lived with it for a couple of years until I picked up a manual 2016 S4 and realized how mushy the Cayman shifter was. FWIW, the difference is night and day.
I also have the numeric cables and shifter and agree the mechanical feel is second to none. I installed a function first shift ****, not weighted but larger in size than stock. It feels solid in the hand and looks awesome too. I didn’t want something metal that would heat up in the summer sun.

On another note, have you noticed an increase in effort to shift? I assume this is normal based upon the thicker gauge cable but am curious as to your thoughts on shift effort and precision.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Yes, there is definitely an increase in shift effort, but I find it so in a good way. I agree with you that it’s a result of the beefier cables.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:04 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

The effort isn't really higher as much as intentional. The rubberiness is gone. I testified In another post that I think anyone choosing a manual over a PDK already has the DNA that will appreciate this.

I am so happy with the numeric shifter and cables that I think it's perfect. Surely after the honeymoon wears off I'll start looking at shift ***** Modding is a drug.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,168 Likes on 797 Posts

I have a full Numeric setup (shifter and cables) in my 996 and recently added a Function First billet aluminum ****. Definitely a nicer feel than the stock plastic/rubber shifter... Ummmm, it looks better too
Old 05-14-2019, 08:13 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Thank you all for all your replies. So after deliberating the addition of a weighted shift **** for a while, I ended up installing the Raceseng Prolix shift **** (685g). The Raceseng shift **** itself is very impressive, but if I’m perfectly honest, I don’t like the way that it feels with the Numeric set-up. When I installed the Numeric Racing short-shifter, there was a definite improvement in shifter feel. Adding the cables took things to the next level with an extremely direct, mechanical feel. The cables did add some cabin noise and a bit of notchiness, which is why I began considering the addition of a weighted shifter.

Adding the Raceseng has decreased shift effort significantly and totally smoothed out the shifts. It’s a completely different feel than the original shifter, but less mechanical and quite honestly not my cup of tea. While I fully appreciate the craftsmanship and design of the Raceseng shift ****, I personally prefer the stock shifter and will be going back to stock this weekend.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

@nowakm99 I am in agreement with you on the feel of the weighted shift ****. Have the same setup in my GT with the NR SSK.. While the Raceseng **** feels like a quality unit vs the stock plastic ****, it does take away the mechanical feel..
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Pics?

if you want to sell it cheap I’m game to play.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a weighted shift knob with Numeric SSK