Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rosie's Journey and Officially Joining the Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRx
Congratulations Prof Z!

I know you were waiting a long time. She looks beautiful!
I believe the perforated shift **** on the RS 60 was unique to the trim. For sure it was standard as every one of these I have seen (3 now including mine) has it.

What production number is Rosie? Mine is #911

Rob
She's #1043. I believe you're correct about the shift ****. It's really nifty and I think it was RS 60 only.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:26 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Full leather is a very nice upgrade on these cars, it imparts an upscale look one would expect when buying a Porsche.
And let's not forget that the RS60 interior is in "natural leather." Reprinted below is Eduardo's excellent description of the attributes of "natural leather," which is a step above Porsche's regular leather offering:

From Eduardo's post #9 at:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...e-and-you.html

"2) Leather Interior Choices - Part 1

First, let's talk about what leathers Porsche offers. You will note that in the Configurator, they give you the following options:

a)Standard color
b)Special Leather
c)Two Tone
d)Natural/Special leather
e)Custom Colors

It seems for sure that the only 'Natural' leathers offered, on the face of it, are 'Carrera Red' and 'Espresso'. So what are the 'un-natural' leathers being offered to us by Porsche?

Over at the 6speed forum, member 'jmmk' recently gave us a very interesting tutorial which might help explain things better for us. "Leather is a starting point for a car manufacturer. With the base leather, the leather is stretched and the outer layer is sanded off and a new grain is embossed into it to make it more uniform. This increases the porosity of the leather when the outside is sanded off and it accepts color better. However, it doesn't hold up as well unless a sealer is applied. So the "leather" interior is considerably changed from its natural state. It is now thinner, uniform in both grain and color, and sealed against UV and infrared damage from the sun, making it suitable for an automobile use. Since it is stretched thinner you don't notice that it is slightly stiffer. It could be dark black or dark grey according to what the designer wanted. Full leather has nothing to do with what kind of leather is used, although the designer might specify a better grade if their research indicates the consumer expects it with the cost upgrade.

Natural leather is not stretched. It is natural thickness and has the natural grain still intact. It is tumble dyed in large drums that constantly roll and knead it to get it to accept the color. This softens it much like you would soften a dry chamois by kneading it. It retains the natural, saddle-like leather smell without adding synthetic aromas. The comfort, if you took the time to compare it, is obvious to the educated rear end. Even though less is done to cure leather this way, it is still more expensive since you get fewer square feet of leather out of a hide. The UV and infrared sealants are introduced into the leather while it is tumbling in the dye soaked drums and like the dye, is soaked all the way through the leather rather than added with the sealant.

. . . .

Over the years we have also heard the term 'aniline leather' to signified what is referred to by 'jmmk' and Porsche as 'Natural'. Wikipedia describes it as "Aniline leather is a type of leather dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments. The resulting product retains the hide's natural surface with the 'grain', i.e. visible pores, scars etc. of the complete original animal's skin structure. Originally, the dyes used for this process were synthesized from aniline through chemical reactions. These dyes used to be called 'aniline dyes' or 'tar dyes'. In modern times, the dyes used are subject to laws and regulations in many countries, and the use of certain azo compounds is prohibited as there are reasons to assume health risks. Typically, leather is dyed both for aesthetic reasons and to conceal blemishes. The dye colours leather without producing the uniform surface of pigmented leather. Any visible variations on the surface of the undyed leather such as natural blemishes will remain visible. There are different kinds of aniline leather, but the same kinds of dyes are used in the process. The dyes used are clear and transparent chemicals that allow the grain structure of the leather to be seen. These dyes show the natural texture, but do not protect the leather from damage. Aniline leather may be referred to as full aniline or full sauvage leather to differentiate between this dye treatment and variants. Semi-aniline leather is produced through a very similar process to full-aniline, but has a thin protective top coat added to protect it from wear and staining. Pull up aniline leather has additional oil or wax applied to the leather to give it a distressed look'."

Here's another thread on natural leather addressing what it is and how to care for it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/concours...l-leather.html

Originally Posted by BobRx
I believe the perforated shift **** on the RS 60 was unique to the trim. For sure it was standard as every one of these I have seen (3 now including mine) has it.
Rob, you are correct that the shift **** is standard on the RS60 and what a shift **** it is! One of my favorite Porsche ***** of all time. I was so enamored with it that I went to buy one for my Boxster S at the time years ago and was quoted a price of $1,100 IIRC, so I had to pass. Very unique and special. A great detail on the RS60!
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
She's #1043. I believe you're correct about the shift ****. It's really nifty and I think it was RS 60 only.
Wow, for some reason I thought this was the turbo **** but after looking at it again I see it’s actually a fully machined **** that is far nice. It’s also ridiculously expensive https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/X97997.html
Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

This will sound crazy, but I have always associated this **** with sci-fi robot movies. It looks like it could be one of Arnold's body parts -- say, an elbow or knee ball joint -- in The Terminator movies. High grade steel. Machined to precision. Hollowed out for lightness. Impossible to bend or break. Impervious to the elements. Prosthetic-like in appearance. Just a serious piece of metal beautiful in its execution, but clinical in its design and purely functional.

And thus priced accordingly! LOL

Old 04-24-2019, 10:31 PM
professsorz
Racer

Wow, for some reason I thought this was the turbo **** but after looking at it again I see it’s actually a fully machined **** that is far nice. It’s also ridiculously expensive https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/X97997.html
Ah, but that includes the handbrake as well. A bargain!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
This will sound crazy, but I have always associated this **** with sci-fi robot movies. It looks like it could be one of Arnold's body parts -- say, an elbow or knee ball joint -- in The Terminator movies. High grade steel. Machined to precision. Hollowed out for lightness. Impossible to bend or break. Impervious to the elements. Prosthetic-like in appearance. Just a serious piece of metal beautiful in its execution, but clinical in its design and purely functional.

And thus priced accordingly! LOL
Is that pic of a 987 or a 981?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 368 Posts

^ Pic is of 987
Old 04-24-2019, 10:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Is that pic of a 987 or a 981?
Pic taken from this RS60 ad here:

https://www.jonathanmotorcars.com/20...yder-c-542.htm
Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, but that includes the handbrake as well. A bargain!
No more Porsche Kool Aid for you!

But I can't argue it's a nice piece. I actually debated getting one...….until I saw the price.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 PM
professsorz
Racer

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
So now I am confused. All of the RS 60s came with the sport exhaust and an increased horsepower to 303. Yet most I see, including mine, don’t have that button which shows exhaust tips. Just a shock strut pic (presumably PASM) and a sport button. No exhaust button. So ... what’s up with that? Happily, I have a manual. Time to read it!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:56 PM
professsorz
Racer

Default Solved - kinda

Well, it seems to be what I thought it was, but I’m still confused as to why there are differences in the various RS 60s. The sport exhaust button is for cars lacking PASM. The cars with sport button have PASM plus spirt exhaust. I guess I need to read the literature from the time a little more closely. Because I was under the impression that all RS 60s came with PASM and sport exhaust.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 AM
professsorz
Racer

Nope. Just read the official Porsche "here's what you get on the RS 60 and how much it'd cost to match it with a Boxster S" pdf. And they list both sports exhaust AND PASM as standard RS 60 features. So it's a mystery to me how some of the RS 60's don't have PASM apparently. Of maybe they do and they include another button somewhere which I'm not seeing for it, rather than integrating the functions into the suspension and sport buttons.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 AM
professsorz
Racer

Default Pics and further shoutout

First off, I have to again sing the praises of Intercity and their delivery team. Super professional. And so careful. I'm just so pleased with the entire delivery. They may take some time to deliver since they're not just hooking up independent drivers and loads but rather run their own trucks. However, it's time well spent.

And, as promised, some pics. This morning - after a 5 AM blast around the environs.

Rosie by her lonesome

Rosie and her brother PB.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:07 PM
professsorz
Racer

No more Porsche Kool Aid for you!

But I can't argue it's a nice piece. I actually debated getting one...….until I saw the price.
But I was earlier taken to task for my dumbfounded observation of Porsche pricing! I thought it was therefore mandatory to take the Kool-Aid! Otherwise I'd be compelled to buy a Prius ...
Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

First off, I have to again sing the praises of Intercity and their delivery team. Super professional. And so careful. I'm just so pleased with the entire delivery. They may take some time to deliver since they're not just hooking up independent drivers and loads but rather run their own trucks. However, it's time well spent.

And, as promised, some pics. This morning - after a 5 AM blast around the environs.

Rosie by her lonesome

Rosie and her brother PB.
Beautiful. What do you think of the driving experience?

Forgive my ignorance, were the silver roll hoops standard or did someone option those into the car? A friend of mine had an RS60 that I had a chance to look at before buying my Spyder. It was his car that made me realize how much nicer the interior looks with the full leather.

Quick Reply: Rosie's Journey and Officially Joining the Club