Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So THAT’S why I got those tires...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts
Default So THAT’S why I got those tires...

It was a typical, cold South Carolina winter’s morning. 30 deg-F, crystal blue skies, bright sun low. Even through the closed doors, I could hear the 987 Spyder chanting in the garage: Come play with me, come play with ME! The DWS06s on those faux-Fuchs joined in: Come play with us, this is why you got US! The RE-11s on the original Spyder wheels, stacked in tire bags with felt pads in the warmish garage, stayed mum. They knew that at these temperatures, they would be like porcelain pie plates, maybe even splooging with a couple of rubber micro-cracks. 30 effing degrees.

OK, OK. Dig up those ancient leather gloves from Boston days, decades back in the last century. And that thermal cap my son gave me this Christmas. Makes me look like a wannabe geezer-thug, but it does pull down over the ears. The Spyder bikini top will be up, the top’s rear panel will remain in the trunk (eat your hearts out, 981 Spyder owners).

Carefully back the Spyder out the garage, jinking around the shrubbery (where’s that backup camera?). Stop at the head of the driveway. Stab on the PSE button with that cute double-pipe icon. Because. Noise. Punch the seat heater button for the sofa seat (eat your hearts out, LWB owners). Ease out through the neighborhood. Door windows still up until the heater warms up.

Moderately through the built-up areas until all the mechanicals warm up. Sport button on. Out of town on the four-laner. Finally that turn-off to my favorite rural road system, minutes from home. Windows down, bikini top overhead, frigid air blasting through the cockpit. Snaking up and down, twisty two-lanes, no traffic, nothing but pine lands on both sides of the road, with the occasional stand of hardwoods in the hollows. The smells of nature, woods, horse farms.

And finally the turn-off to my favorite stretch, a veritable isolated hill climb. Time for the Sport+ button. Leave the PDK to its own whims (the damn thing is much smarter than I am, most of the time). Only a couple of paddle shifts when things get too crazy. Left, right, right, straight, right, left, left, straight, repeat. Whew. Cold, who is cold? Maybe this no Mille Miglia. But it is my own private Ventuno Miglia.

Then the calmer stage back home. Time to reflect. Spydie sez: Wasn’t that much better than doing it in that antiseptic Cayman GTS? Yup. In the Cayman, I was always going much faster than I thought I was. In the Spyder, the opposite. I always feel like I am going much faster than I really am. No wonder the Spyder kicked the Cayman out of the garage.

Back home, park the Spyder. Finally all is quiet, except for the cool-down ticking of random hot metal bits. No more chanting, at least until next week. It is still cold. Thank you, Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s.

Related tire/wheel photo thread at:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...he-spyder.html
Old 01-25-2019, 10:16 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 582 Posts

I love these tire
i put them on all my daily drivers that are supposed to have summer tires and they perform well in all conditions including snow and they have tread warranty of 45 k miles which is great
Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Excellent! There’s simply nothing like getting one of these cars on a back road and getting into the zone with the car. It’s relaxing and exhilarating.

Glad you’re keeping it!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:38 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Good post. I literally thought this today on my way to work in my Audi A3, that I'd rather be in the Cayman if it had suitable tires. It's 30F here today too. Maybe next winter.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:40 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
It was a typical, cold South Carolina winter’s morning. 30 deg-F, crystal blue skies, bright sun low. Even through the closed doors, I could hear the 987 Spyder chanting in the garage: Come play with me, come play with ME! The DWS06s on those faux-Fuchs joined in: Come play with us, this is why you got US! The RE-11s on the original Spyder wheels, stacked in tire bags with felt pads in the warmish garage, stayed mum. They knew that at these temperatures, they would be like porcelain pie plates, maybe even splooging with a couple of rubber micro-cracks. 30 effing degrees.

OK, OK. Dig up those ancient leather gloves from Boston days, decades back in the last century. And that thermal cap my son gave me this Christmas. Makes me look like a wannabe geezer-thug, but it does pull down over the ears. The Spyder bikini top will be up, the top’s rear panel will remain in the trunk (eat your hearts out, 981 Spyder owners).

Carefully back the Spyder out the garage, jinking around the shrubbery (where’s that backup camera?). Stop at the head of the driveway. Stab on the PSE button with that cute double-pipe icon. Because. Noise. Punch the seat heater button for the sofa seat (eat your hearts out, LWB owners). Ease out through the neighborhood. Door windows still up until the heater warms up.

Moderately through the built-up areas until all the mechanicals warm up. Sport button on. Out of town on the four-laner. Finally that turn-off to my favorite rural road system, minutes from home. Windows down, bikini top overhead, frigid air blasting through the cockpit. Snaking up and down, twisty two-lanes, no traffic, nothing but pine lands on both sides of the road, with the occasional stand of hardwoods in the hollows. The smells of nature, woods, horse farms.

And finally the turn-off to my favorite stretch, a veritable isolated hill climb. Time for the Sport+ button. Leave the PDK to its own whims (the damn thing is much smarter than I am, most of the time). Only a couple of paddle shifts when things get too crazy. Left, right, right, straight, right, left, left, straight, repeat. Whew. Cold, who is cold? Maybe this no Mille Miglia. But it is my own private Ventuno Miglia.

Then the calmer stage back home. Time to reflect. Spydie sez: Wasn’t that much better than doing it in that antiseptic Cayman GTS? Yup. In the Cayman, I was always going much faster than I thought I was. In the Spyder, the opposite. I always feel like I am going much faster than I really am. No wonder the Spyder kicked the Cayman out of the garage.

Back home, park the Spyder. Finally all is quiet, except for the cool-down ticking of random hot metal bits. No more chanting, at least until next week. It is still cold. Thank you, Continental ExtremeContact DWS06s.

Related tire/wheel photo thread at:
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...he-spyder.html

Great write-up. It was down in the low 60's out here as well. Brrrrrrr... (eat your hearts out rest of the country)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:10 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I have DWS-06s on a Z3 and an E39 530i and love them. When I bought my (first Porsche) Cayman S 18 months ago, it needed tires and I felt the call of performance tires. In retrospect, I would have had more fun with another set of Continentals. Winter in the NC mountains can yield some beautiful, but no warm days, but I will confess the Z3 gets a mite breezy. Likely will also get some on our Mini Cooper at next tire cycle.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice read - Spyder poetry !
Old 01-28-2019, 07:28 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DWS is my old favorite tire. I had it on all my cars. But they don't make it in the 981 sizes. So I found some cheap *** Atlas Force UHP tires. I will be damned, but those tires seem as good as any other tire I have ever had and at only $100 per tire.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Anu2g
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Great write-up! I just put Sottozeros on my 981 GT4; soooo happy I can drive the car in the cold now.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Proving again the tires make the trip. Looking forward to letting my Blizzaks pay for themselves in the arctic tundra of Indiana this next few days.....

Quick Reply: So THAT’S why I got those tires...