Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Cayman S Black Edition - #209 of 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 05:16 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Bald rear tire + wet surface = crash.
The following users liked this post:
joliver3 (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 05:28 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 317 Posts

So sad. Such a nice spec it was. Stay vigilant in your search for a similar example.

I don't have PCCB on my Cayman R, but I had them on my '06 Cayman S. They are phenomenal brakes... nothing can touch them from a feel and performance perspective. Mine had near 70,000 miles when I sold the car, still with 65% pad life and 100% rotor life, even with about 10 track days. I have no doubt they'd have been good for 150k-200k miles.

That said, the 987 steel brakes offer the easiest pad swap of any car. I'd certainly give up the PCCB before I gave up the lightweight carbon buckets.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:12 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by livfreely
wOw!!! That hurts to see…what a spec gone…how much is the buy back?
I wish I knew! Not sure where the car ended up.

Originally Posted by XuTVJet
Uhhhhh.....those rear tires are a bit bald and were just about ready to delaminate. Yikes.
Originally Posted by ekam
Bald rear tire + wet surface = crash.
I noticed that too! In this case the driver was t-boned, but definitely due for tires.

Originally Posted by Zach L
So sad. Such a nice spec it was. Stay vigilant in your search for a similar example.
Thanks. I enjoy the hunt!
Old 06-26-2024, 09:11 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 249 Posts

to the OP i thought that was a keeper for ya? what made you sell such a unique example? moved up to more powah?
Old 06-26-2024, 03:10 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
to the OP i thought that was a keeper for ya? what made you sell such a unique example? moved up to more powah?
It was! But life gets in the way. Had a cross country move and decided to let it go, as I wasn't going to have any nice roads around. Then I moved back to good roads and wish I had never sold it! Doh!
Old 07-27-2024, 01:57 AM
P93C4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled across this thread, and thought I would comment. I'm usually lurking in the 993 forum but this thread came up when entering google search for 2012 Cayman S Black Edition. I've been trying to find a replacement since the accident - actually it was more like a mugging.

I purchased this amazing car in November 2021 with the intent of driving it as my daily while waiting to find the right GT4. As it turned out, it was probably one of the best cars I've ever owned. It was the perfect compliment to the 993, being small in size and incredible driving experience. The newer models feel and look so much bigger.
Unfortunately it was taken away in April 2023 by an uninsured Drunk Driver who was 1-1/2 times the legal limit just after 5 PM, on his Birthday.
I had ordered tires that were scheduled to go on later that week. Tires were done for sure, but looks much worse in the pictures with the passenger rear tire worn down to cords as a result of being pushed sideways for several hundred feet across the pavement. Side impact in a 35 mph zone after guy blew through a red light going probably 60 or 70 mph. Thank God there was no passenger in the car! I'm still recovering from ligament injuries in my hand.

I've been trying to find a replacement since the loss, and have come to realize this was a total Unicorn; maybe 1 of 1 spec. Proof that sometimes you don't know what ya got, til it's gone.
I miss this car pretty much on a daily basis. I have other P-cars including GT4, 993 C4S, and 356 but still obsessing over the loss of this one. Will most likely have to replace it with Cayman R. These type of cars are becoming so scarce for sale. Finding one with carbon buckets, PCCB's, 3 pedals w/ 6 MT, and all the amazing care that went into the development of this particular car is like searching for the proverbial needle in a haystack. Kudos to the previous owner of #209 who developed it, it was such a pleasure to own and drive.

The car went to Copart, and was sold in Eugene Oregon, I think in August last year. It will be interesting to see if it ever resurfaces as Rebuilt title #209.
Old 07-27-2024, 11:10 AM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

@P93C4S thanks for chiming in! It's really too bad you got hit there, and sorry to hear you are still feeling the effects. Clearly it was a severe impact as you can see the rear knuckle broke in half!
I think your comments about the 987.2 are in line with others that it's a golden era of Porsche cars and makes for a great drive. At least you have a GT4 to keep you company!

Quick Reply: 2012 Cayman S Black Edition - #209 of 500