Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Minimum Reading After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 09:22 AM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by brur
MY question:
If poster added 7 quarts of oil shouldn't the electronic fill line be more at 3/4 than near empty?
Attached is a nice document explaining more detail of how the sensor in our cars works and the specific process you must go through to get a proper reading either dynamic or static. If you dont follow the process, you will be shown the previous reading data it has even if you have added oil. My guess is this is why he wasnt seeing any change after the additional oil

Specifically to your question, the bars you see are only about .45 quarts each and represent only the last couple quarts of the fill.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Old 12-31-2018, 11:57 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

That's a document that clearly illustrates that someone has forgotten the first rule of engineering. K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

The manual in my 987 says each of the bars on the oil level display equals 1/4 of a litre. So if it’s showing minimum reached and there are four bars to the top the level is low by 1 litre.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:46 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by venom51
That's a document that clearly illustrates that someone has forgotten the first rule of engineering. K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid.
Yes, I agree. I have worked for a large German company most of my life. They create fantastic mechanical things, but they also over engineer a a lot of things. The worst is software. They are terrible at it because they have a strong belief in giving people 15 different ways to so the same thing rather than one simple one. There is a reason the PCM manual on our cars is as big as the complete owners manual for many other cars. I always tell my colleagues that thank God Steve Jobs wasnt born German or else the iPhone would have had 32 buttons on it and a manual as thick as a phone book!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:43 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bvanlieu
This.

Sneaky metric system.

Capacity 7.5l which is just under 8qt here in the us of a.

- b
s

Thx Guys.

Eventually ended up with about 8.8 qts. Perfect. I guess the 8 hour drain really cleaned the motor out. Gauge reads full and I’m happy. I sure miss a good old fashioned dipstick...

thx,
L7(
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by L76

s

Thx Guys.

Eventually ended up with about 8.8 qts. Perfect. I guess the 8 hour drain really cleaned the motor out. Gauge reads full and I’m happy. I sure miss a good old fashioned dipstick...

thx,
L7(

Exactly what I use each time to get 3 green segments but not four, 8.8 quarts. Note that I do an overnight drain when I do my oil changes, as I posted earlier in this thread. I don't know how much difference that makes for the amount of oil to add, never done it any other way. I do the long drain for 2 reasons, to get more old oil out and to cool the engine parts down. I don't remove the oil filter until the next day when I get under to replace the drain plug. Oil in the filter is cool and engine parts are too.

Last edited by okie981; 01-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Twice, I have done an oil change on my '14 Cayman, putting in enough oil to get to the top bar, and two weeks later I got a too much oil warning. I don't know if the oil sheared slightly or what. I was probably on the edge and temperature or terrain caused the sensor to read high. One of the two times it went away and did not come back. The other was consistent and I had to drain 1/4 liter from the oil filter cannister.

V6
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Twice, I have done an oil change on my '14 Cayman, putting in enough oil to get to the top bar, and two weeks later I got a too much oil warning. I don't know if the oil sheared slightly or what. I was probably on the edge and temperature or terrain caused the sensor to read high. One of the two times it went away and did not come back. The other was consistent and I had to drain 1/4 liter from the oil filter cannister.

V6
One of the biggest issues with the oil measurement is the inability to accommodate expansion of fluids. If you are measuring the oil after an oil change and you’re only measuring it when the car has idled for 10 minutes the oil isn’t really up to full operating temperatures, especially temps that would occur at a track. That oil will expand and sure enough you will have too much oil in the system.

As noted in my earlier post, ideally you want to be in the middle of the low/high range to accommodate some expansion.

Quick Reply: Oil Minimum Reading After Oil Change