Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Minimum Reading After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:46 AM
L76
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Oil Minimum Reading After Oil Change

Changed the oil in my 981GTS. Raised the car on jack stands, removed the old filter and drained the oil for 8 hours, then started the job. Pretty sure the motor had no oil in it when I started the job. Installed new filter and started with 7 quarts of 0W-40 Mobil 1. Reset the service lights with my iCarSoft POR II. Started engine and brought it to operating temperature. Observed no leaks, smelled no burning oil. Oil temp and pressure looked normal. Turned engine off for 2-3 mins. System could not/would not read oil measurement. No faults codes. Drove the car for 20 mins. Ran fine. Let car sit on level ground for 2-3 mins, oil measurement indicated "minimum level reached" and showed only 1 bar on the meter (see photo). I added .5 more qts. Now at 7.5qts total (the indicated capacity for my GTS). Started the engine and ran it for 5 mins. Turned off engine and let it settle for 2-3 mins. Re-ran the oil measurement. Same reading. What gives? I am expecting the oil measurement to be full (at capacity). I am hesitant to put more oil in the motor... as it already has 7.5 quarts in it... and no apparent leakage. Thoughts?

-L76
Old 12-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

The capacity is 8 quarts. I would add another 1/2 qt. I keep my oil level at the highest level because of track use.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:20 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 420 Posts

When I do my oil & filter changes, I let it drain overnight. My GT4 (when I had it) and my BS both took 8 quarts and 26 oz. (about 8.8 quarts) for the oil level to light up three green segments and leave the fourth green segment off. This is the level recommended in the GT4 track use manual if you plan to track your car. IOW not completely full. I have done at least 7 oil changes in my BS and it comes out exactly the same each time. Overnight drain, 8.8 quarts for 3 green segments.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:57 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This.

Sneaky metric system.

Capacity 7.5l which is just under 8qt here in the us of a.

- b
Old 12-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I typically keep my oil at the lower/midpoint based upon the advice from my tech assuming you run the car hard and in the upper RPM's. Basically if you fill to near the top the oil will expand and will end up getting sucked into the intake where it will burn and cause build up. Keeping it at the lower midpoint will allow the oil to expand but never to the point where it will get sucked into the intake.

His comments come from supporting several 996/997/991/986/987/981 race cars and discussions he's had with other shops that support the water cooled race cars.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:00 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I intentionally underfill my Cayman when replacing the oil, and then add 2-3 oz at a time until the oil is at the third or fourth mark. "Five" is the top of the oil fill gauge. Dealership told me that this is the best way to refill the oil; any problems with cars they have seen have all been from overfilling the oil. (Which include ruining some new engines that were not replaced under warranty because the "quick-fill shops" used overfilled the oil.)
Old 12-30-2018, 02:50 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I miss dip sticks.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:04 PM
spyd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sghokie
I miss dip sticks.
and the information you can obtain from actually looking at the oil on the stick while checking the level.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:02 PM
mrcarrera
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there something about the caymans that benefits from overnight oil drain vs lets say a good 2 hours right after an warm engine?? I'm planning on doing my first Porsche oil change soon.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 412 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcarrera
Is there something about the caymans that benefits from overnight oil drain vs lets say a good 2 hours right after an warm engine?? I'm planning on doing my first Porsche oil change soon.
Not unless your OCD simply wont allow it otherwise. The dealer certainly doesnt wait anywhere near that long, but on the other hand it won't hurt anything either if you have the time and want to get every last drop you can out of the car. In other words, either method is perfectly fine.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:05 PM
brur
Advanced

MY question:
If poster added 7 quarts of oil shouldn't the electronic fill line be more at 3/4 than near empty?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by ICNU
Not unless your OCD simply wont allow it otherwise. The dealer certainly doesnt wait anywhere near that long, but on the other hand it won't hurt anything either if you have the time and want to get every last drop you can out of the car. In other words, either method is perfectly fine.
Most likely, even if you let it drain for days, you would not get "all" the old oil out. Between the film that clings (as good modern oil should) to every interior surface and all the small local low spots where oil pools, some oils (perhaps a half-qt?) will remain.

Back in the day, another OCD method required dropping the pan, to get more oil plus any undrained solids.

If you want to go really nuts, you can do a double oil change: drain, refill, run up to temp, drain, refill.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:15 PM
mrcarrera
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Most likely, even if you let it drain for days, you would not get "all" the old oil out. Between the film that clings (as good modern oil should) to every interior surface and all the small local low spots where oil pools, some oils (perhaps a half-qt?) will remain.

Back in the day, another OCD method required dropping the pan, to get more oil plus any undrained solids.

If you want to go really nuts, you can do a double oil change: drain, refill, run up to temp, drain, refill.
LOL I can see my younger self doing all that. Back to OP's pain- I wish Porsche had left a real dipstick under the carpet so one could get that extra visual information when needed. Also makes me curious how does the digital oil level meter actually work?
Old 12-31-2018, 08:56 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brur
MY question:
If poster added 7 quarts of oil shouldn't the electronic fill line be more at 3/4 than near empty?
The oil level display system ignores the first 7 or so quarts.

Last edited by okie981; 12-31-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sghokie
I miss dip sticks.
+1

Quick Reply: Oil Minimum Reading After Oil Change