Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Japan Touring in a Cayman S.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:13 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,744 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I really like the mirrors mounted on the front fender! They look cool and make it easier to see where things are around your car.
Indeed, correct!
Seems popular with some race cars (still) and taxi too for that reason - you can easy see the whole side of the car without really turning your head.
Until you've driven the tight streets of Tokyo, their benefit might be questionable.

Some models, like new taxi, are still available with fender mirrors accordingly.
They occasionally have right-wing political connotations too, and like 88-88 (or 33-33) on license plates are sometimes seen as the equivalent of gun racks or confederate flags these days...

Using that as an excuse for some pretty pictures, we have:

Suzuki Fronte - possibly the coolest looking set?

Publica, and Imp, where cars from the UK in same period were similarly equipped.

After market set, with embedded flowers.

Matte-black for that nasty look.

These Florian and 117 Coupe are remotely operated, making adjusting easier.

By the time we get to the Skyline Japan, the fender mirrors are all electrically operated from the driver's seat, and top-of-the line models are either heated or in the case of the Leopard, have wipers.

Included only because of the Extra model designation.

Talk about style!

Mazda Carol.

Subaru 360.

Lotus Cortina.

Matching set on 2000GT and Sports 800.

907 on the street.

Taxi pack.

10,000 rpm screamer.

Type R Bellett. Check out their rear suspension if you're an engineering fan.

Looking very Italian Bluebird...

The following 7 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (03-17-2024), dmteter (03-16-2024), Jonathan_987 (03-16-2024), Larson E. Rapp (03-23-2024), quickboxster (03-15-2024), Racer Boy (03-30-2024), various cheeses (03-20-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-16-2024, 01:42 AM
dmteter
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great photos,S!
Old 03-23-2024, 11:18 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmteter
Great photos,S!
Thanks... how's yours going?
Old 03-23-2024, 03:26 PM
dmteter
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

It's going really well. The previous owner did a great job sorting out the suspension and getting ahead of the maintenance. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of time to drive it lately due to taking a new job and trying to get caught up on the weekends. The good part about the new job is that my commute is now bicycling and taking the ferry back and forth across the SF Bay. Planning on getting some new tires next month (current tread is good but tires are from 2019) and taking it out for a long weekend trip up to Oregon and back. Will take/post photos. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2024, 10:41 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dmteter
Will take/post photos.
Excellent!
The bike and ferry commute sounds nice, like Sydney.

Not much touring going on here either.
Just vacuuming and washing after driving in the rain and mud...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 03-24-2024 at 03:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (04-02-2024), sasilverbullet (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:33 PM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Any more snap of that 907 on the street? That's a sight to behold!
Old 03-26-2024, 09:10 PM
Chawee24
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Kuro what film camera do you shoot with?
Old 03-27-2024, 09:05 AM
Jonathan_987
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

At least this was the case at the end of 2020:

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Except for a few digisnaps for technical stuff, these are all film.
No filters.

Most, from this Cosina-made Voigtlander Bessa R3A, with a f1.4 40mm Nokton S.C, on Kodak Portra 400 or Ektar 100:

But I'm also curious to see whether there has been any further development. In any case, the pictures speak for themselves, regardless of the equipment used.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan_987:
Chawee24 (03-27-2024), Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:39 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Goonfather
Any more snap of that 907 on the street? That's a sight to behold!
Sure!

Mechanically injected, air-cooled, axial fan, flat-8!

Hand-held, while piloting a motorcycle, with the cameraman on the back, around the Shuto-ko doesn't lend itself to good pics.
The objective was movie making though, not for me and my film... such is life.

Originally Posted by Jonathan_987
At least this was the case at the end of 2020:
But I'm also curious to see whether there has been any further development. In any case, the pictures speak for themselves, regardless of the equipment used.
Yup!
Same old bus, supplemented with one of these recently for a bit more telephoto and portrait-style bokeh...

A Nokton 75mm / f1.5 - matching the native view lines on the R3a, and the f1.5 is amazing.
The build quality is just brilliant, and pity I am not a gear head, as I would otherwise sit there and play with the aperture detent ring and spend my days lens polishing...
I also replaced the body front covers, as they were coming off, with some nicely retro patterned rubber stuff, knurled to kinda match the control *****.

For those into such stuff, the R3a has a 1:1 viewfinder which allows you to shoot with both eyes open.
For example, when both eyes are needed taking photographs such as skiing or driving a car (not that I would ever do that).

Since my Ricoh GR1 died (usual LCD failure, which is a pity as all other mechanical stuff is still perfect), I have however also picked up a Nikon 28Ti for pocket stuff and as a back-up to the Bessa.
It's good, and at least its display will never die, as its got those snappy needles which are very entertaining.
Vignette however is part of its f2.8 capabilities, and the pics above with the heavy vignette are from it...

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 03-28-2024 at 08:16 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
BWJones (04-02-2024), dmteter (03-28-2024), quickboxster (03-28-2024), Racer Boy (03-30-2024), Robb M. (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 10:13 AM
Ric In RVA
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

My heart always leaps when I see that you've posted photos....and now to learn that you are only shooting film....even more so.

Amazing stuff as always.

THANK YOU!
The following 3 users liked this post by Ric In RVA:
BWJones (04-02-2024), Nagah (04-03-2024), sasilverbullet (03-28-2024)
Old 03-28-2024, 08:31 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ric In RVA
My heart always leaps when I see that you've posted photos....and now to learn that you are only shooting film....even more so.
Amazing stuff as always.
THANK YOU!
Hey, that's nice to hear - thanks!
I am under no illusion as to my skills, and some of the appreciation for my work is often just that it is shot on film.

The look of film has been largely forgotten, and many these days like what they are looking at and perhaps do not know why...
Larson E. Rapp (04-06-2024), Nagah (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 12:08 PM
Nagah
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Kuro!
Just here to remind you that I am still here to read your amazing journey.
And yes, your film shooting adds to the experience, but for me, it is the whole package: Japan's backroads, your on point commentary, choice of cars of an era that I love and also your skills.

Oh, and don't forget: Please reach out to me if you need any assistance with anything German or if you need something from Germany. I will surely try to help you if needed!

See ya!
Old 04-04-2024, 07:09 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro Neko
Sure!

Mechanically injected, air-cooled, axial fan, flat-8!

Hand-held, while piloting a motorcycle, with the cameraman on the back, around the Shuto-ko doesn't lend itself to good pics.
The objective was movie making though, not for me and my film... such is life.

Yup!
Same old bus, supplemented with one of these recently for a bit more telephoto and portrait-style bokeh...

A Nokton 75mm / f1.5 - matching the native view lines on the R3a, and the f1.5 is amazing.
The build quality is just brilliant, and pity I am not a gear head, as I would otherwise sit there and play with the aperture detent ring and spend my days lens polishing...
I also replaced the body front covers, as they were coming off, with some nicely retro patterned rubber stuff, knurled to kinda match the control *****.

For those into such stuff, the R3a has a 1:1 viewfinder which allows you to shoot with both eyes open.
For example, when both eyes are needed taking photographs such as skiing or driving a car (not that I would ever do that).

Since my Ricoh GR1 died (usual LCD failure, which is a pity as all other mechanical stuff is still perfect), I have however also picked up a Nikon 28Ti for pocket stuff and as a back-up to the Bessa.
It's good, and at least its display will never die, as its got those snappy needles which are very entertaining.
Vignette however is part of its f2.8 capabilities, and the pics above with the heavy vignette are from it...

I too love compact film cameras. My GR1 met the same fate as yours, since it was the third one I used since the late 1990s, I think their time is up. The camera I have used the most, and one that I used to make the photos for a published book last year, is the Contax T2. Its prices have been high but steady for many years.

You are lucky to have access to so many film cameras in Japan. I have bought a number from Japanese dealers over the years, with good results. I too am enjoying your film shots.
The following users liked this post:
sasilverbullet (04-04-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 01:37 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nagah
Hey Kuro!
Just here to remind you that I am still here to read your amazing journey.
And yes, your film shooting adds to the experience, but for me, it is the whole package: Japan's backroads, your on point commentary, choice of cars of an era that I love and also your skills.

Oh, and don't forget: Please reach out to me if you need any assistance with anything German or if you need something from Germany. I will surely try to help you if needed!

See ya!
Thanks for the comments, and very glad to see your interpretation is just as I would like.
I post here mainly so worldwide friends can keep up with the added benefit for others to see stuff from Japan, beyond the usual cliche.
As a friend said to me yesterday, avoiding the 'where's the ramen?' question so often needed these days - if it does not have IGed ramen in it, how can it be from Japan?

Originally Posted by andy7777
I too love compact film cameras. My GR1 met the same fate as yours, since it was the third one I used since the late 1990s, I think their time is up. The camera I have used the most, and one that I used to make the photos for a published book last year, is the Contax T2. Its prices have been high but steady for many years.

You are lucky to have access to so many film cameras in Japan. I have bought a number from Japanese dealers over the years, with good results. I too am enjoying your film shots.
Ha! I only went through two GRs, but I know that pain... One was signed by Moriyama and another by Jenson Button, but that's another story (or two):

T2 in a book?
Tell me more?!

As wide open, I am a little disappointed in the 28Ti, as I wanted more of this:

and less of this:

It's lovely to use, but the output lacks what I had from the GR, so how's the T2 comparably?
Feel free to post pics here...

On the 907, it's included in a new feature documentary on the well-known Naito family, and will be shown on limited release this summer:

(The YT thumbnail is a screen grab from the traffic light pull away from the konbeni shot above - taken from the back of my Maxam.)

Last edited by Kuro Neko; 04-06-2024 at 01:38 AM.
Nagah (04-06-2024), sasilverbullet (04-06-2024)
Old 04-06-2024, 09:48 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts

sent you a DM

Quick Reply: Japan Touring in a Cayman S.