Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter or Valve Body issue 2007 Cayman 987 tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Ricarr
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Torque Converter or Valve Body issue 2007 Cayman 987 tiptronic

Still trying to diagnose this problem.

I have a 2007 Cayman S, with the tiptronic trans. I notice when driving in the auto mode, the rpm’s will fluctuate a bit…a very slight rev... while going thru the gears. Doesn’t feel like its slipping….no jerking or sounds other than the slight rev…..Usually in 4th or 5th and only when the car is lugging. Seems to shift at about 2000 rpm’s and lugs a bit at slower speeds (kind of normal from what I have learned as far as the lug goes).

I can make it do it at about 40 mph which is about 2000 rpm…rpm needle jumps a bit, almost like it doesn’t like being in 5th at that speed and is searching for 4th???

Odd thing is it doesn’t behave like that at all when in manual mode, shifting gears myself…i am guessing because I shift it higher than the 2000 rpm as the auto mode does

Explained all this to my mechanic…had all the trans fluid and filters replaced (needed it app 72,000 miles) and he reset the computer for it to “re learn” my driving habits????Mechanic said there are no faults in the computer related to the problem and doesn’t seem too concerned and thinks it may work itself out. It has not.

Took it to 2nd shop who rechecked all of the 1st shops work and did more thorough computer diagnosis (actually drove car around on computer) and again reset computer, no help

1st shop recommended rebuilding valve body, 2nd shop also talked about valve body possibly being problem

Contacted a tiptronic repair expert on east coast (i'm west) who believes may be problem to be torque converter.......his email below

It sounds more like a problem with the torque converter. One way to confirm it is to attach a scan tool and monitor pressure control solenoid 4 (converter lockup solenoid)
It is quite common for the friction in the converter to get "glazed" . This can cause a problem when the computer is trying to control slippage of the converter clutch. The glazing changes the friction characteristics and the computer over shoots the rpm it is trying to control then backs off but overshoots the other way. If the mA reading of the pr solenoid 4 is varying as this happens it is because the computer is trying to control it.

I am going to re-check getting re-scanned as suggested in email by 2nd shop who read this email and considers it good information. Just doing all my homework before dropping the bucks to get this fixed. Any suggestions or advise is appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Torque Converter or Valve Body issue 2007 Cayman 987 tiptronic