Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement of CDR24 on 2007 987 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 09:47 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement of CDR24 on 2007 987 Boxster S

Apparently my CDR24 stereo unit is not putting out a fiber optic signal and that is why I am getting no sound out of the speakers. My dealer tells me that each radio is specific to the VIN of the vehicle and thus I can't reprogram another CDR24 from a parted out car. Does that sound right? I thought Dealers could program whatever code was necessary. If the dealer is right, I don't know how Porsche could ever fix a unit broken in any car if they can't be replaced. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gil
Old 11-09-2018, 03:21 PM
e30if
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be really surprised if that was true considering there is a market for replacement (new and used) CDR-24's, should only require reprogramming to get everything working. Alternatively you could replace it with an aftermarket unit, though there's a bit that goes into integrating it with the Bose system.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:47 PM
gil_lucero
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e30if
I would be really surprised if that was true considering there is a market for replacement (new and used) CDR-24's, should only require reprogramming to get everything working. Alternatively you could replace it with an aftermarket unit, though there's a bit that goes into integrating it with the Bose system.
Thanks for the reply. I finally found a source of knowledgeable expertise on the operation and repair of auto electronics. It is correct that the CDR24 gets configured to work with the specific VIN. Part of the wiring harness connects the CDR24 to the car's ECU. The CDR24 queries the ECU for the VIN and compares that to what is stored in the CDR24's EEPROM memory. If it doesn't match, the radio reports an error. If the CDR24 is replaced with a unit from another car, the EEPROM has to be re-initialized. Then when it is installed in the car, it thinks this is an original install and it saves the queried VIN into its EEPROM. So you can't just plug a foreign CDR24 into the car and expect it to work. But if you do the proper procedure to re-initialize the unit, it will work.

As to replacement with aftermarket components, the complexity depends on how much of the existing components you want to use. If you have a Bose equipped setup and want to continue to use the amp and speakers, the process is more complex (especially with the fiber optics). I you gut all the original equipment you don't have to worry about compatibility with the original components.

Gil

Quick Reply: Replacement of CDR24 on 2007 987 Boxster S