Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple CarPlay for '13 Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay for '13 Boxster

=leftI want to add Apple CarPlay to my '13 Boxster that has Navigation but is too early for back-up cameras, etc. I saw an ad for the item below, that looks like it will work but is probably too good to be true. Has anybody tried this or have a better suggestion? The cost is about $500--discounted (sure) from a regular MSRP of a grand or so.

Thanks

NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY
is a new generation of video interfaces that adds smartphone mirroring & Apple Carplay and video capabilities to vehicles with a factory color screen or factory installed navigation system.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:18 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you post a link? Here is one that I have been looking at, but have not pulled the trigger:

https://www.nmautomotive.co.uk/carplay-androidauto

Old 11-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Default Navtool link for 2013 Boxster CarPlay Interface

http://www.navtool.com/porsche-boxster-2013-2016-apple-carplay.aspx
Old 11-03-2018, 01:22 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check our this thread over on the 991 forum. Good info. NM Automotive product worked great in my Cayenne.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post15374733
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 PM
haoEAZY
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dalema
Check our this thread over on the 991 forum. Good info. NM Automotive product worked great in my Cayenne.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post15374733
Pretty interesting that product is Apple Carplay only. You'd think it'd be pretty easy to incorporate Android Auto since it's open source and you're even able to hack it into the Mazda system.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Pretty cool. I will need to make sure my local high end audio shop can install it, but I might have to get that set up for my 2015.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:32 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jg (atl)
Can you post a link? Here is one that I have been looking at, but have not pulled the trigger:

I ended up getting this kit. The kit itself looks pretty well put together. I will report back once I have a chance to install it.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Fitzpat49
AutoX

Hope it goes well as this could could not only enable CarPlay but could also, according to the site, allow for a backup camera. I would love to have a backup camera.
Ideally, this can be installed without losing the parking sensors and can be sync'd with reverse for the camera.

Good luck with the install and I look forward to your review.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:37 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
I ended up getting this kit. The kit itself looks pretty well put together. I will report back once I have a chance to install it.
This is awesome, I can't wait to hear your report!
Also, what was the total price (with shipping) in USD?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2018, 09:01 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

I am doing a back up camera at the same time.

Cost was $650 US including a back-up camera kit and shipping.

Last edited by mts; 11-21-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:28 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

I looked through the instructions, 58 pages including the back-up camera (45 for CarPlay and 13 for camera). They are certainly trying to make it as simple as they can.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:43 AM
javaperson
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jg (atl)

I just installed this carplay kit for my 981 Cayman, as well as the reverse camera. I am very happy with it. Nick was very responsive to any questions. I spent Thanksgiving installing it - Carplay took me ~2hrs. The reverse camera took about the same and it was longer than it should've been since I struggled to remove the rear tail-light (it was somewhat stuck and I did not want to break it). Anyways, I took my car for a spin today and everything worked smoothly (the backup lines in the reverse camera view even swivel with the steering wheel!). Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers,
Old 11-28-2018, 11:32 PM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by javaperson
I just installed this carplay kit for my 981 Cayman, as well as the reverse camera. I am very happy with it. Nick was very responsive to any questions. I spent Thanksgiving installing it - Carplay took me ~2hrs. The reverse camera took about the same and it was longer than it should've been since I struggled to remove the rear tail-light (it was somewhat stuck and I did not want to break it). Anyways, I took my car for a spin today and everything worked smoothly (the backup lines in the reverse camera view even swivel with the steering wheel!). Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers,
That's terrific. I've been quite apprehensive opening up the PCM & plunking in a new circuit board, however Nick has been excellent with communication & answering questions. I have one of these on the way & plan to install over the Xmas holidays.
Did you get the reverse camera from Nick as well? What extra bits were needed for the camera to connect into PCM. I've been looking at NavTV kits b/c that's what I've seen mostly on the forum.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 AM
LarryB
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
That's terrific. I've been quite apprehensive opening up the PCM & plunking in a new circuit board, however Nick has been excellent with communication & answering questions. I have one of these on the way & plan to install over the Xmas holidays.
Did you get the reverse camera from Nick as well? What extra bits were needed for the camera to connect into PCM. I've been looking at NavTV kits b/c that's what I've seen mostly on the forum.
I've been communicating with Nick and asked the same question. Here’s what he wrote and I hope it’s okay to post:

Essentially:
  • At the CarPlay end plug the composite connector from the camera harness into the connector on the CarPlay harness; connect the 12V on the composite camera harness to the 12V out on the CarPlay harness.
  • At the camera end plug the composite connector into the camera; connect the 12V in the composite to the 12V on the camera; connect the GND on the camera to a suitable GND near the camera, normally the licence plate light connector GND is the closest but any GND will do.
  • Set the CarPlay hidden menu for CarPlay camera
  • You’re done.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:58 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for posting LarryB! If a guy is going remove/take apart the PCM & do the install of CarPlay, might as well do the camera install at the same time. That just makes the most sense. I didn't want to get into splicing wires, & these directions look straightforward.
Now to figure out what camera do for the front. I find the front end on these cars very low & easily damage by parking curbs. Don't want to plunk something hideous on the front of my car though!

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay for '13 Boxster