Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for the first Cayman/ Boxster owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:27 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 170 Posts
Question Advice for the first Cayman/ Boxster owner

Hey everyone, rather than make a million threads asking questions, Im just going to consolidate it into all here, you get to join an average Joe who is looking to finally get his first Porsche. Ive always loved 911s, but since the Cayman came out, I knew it was the one I wanted. I left Boxster in (and 996 911s for that matter), because I know the only cheap Porsche is a very expensive Porsche and Im trying to keep my options open.

Anyways with that said, my first option is a 2006 987.1 with just under 100k . No major options, just a good CS with 3 pedals. The other contender is a 2010 987.2 with a bit more miles 130k, also 3 pedals, also no major options. He's also the original owner. I like this one more because theres a lot of things I like about it compared to the 987.1, but I wonder if I should worry about the higher miles. Guys commute was/is 60miles round trip and that is accurate for how you get over 15k/ year. Theres a few others that are much easier to swallow financially, but with Salvage titles, I dont even want to take my chances. I am also staying away from base models, because I dont want the 5-speed. There was a great 07 Base with a 6-speed and a few other goodies, but it is gone now AFAIK.

I might finally have 95% of the cash on hand to buy one and the garage space open (read: the other car is almost officially sold), so I feel like its time to bug you guys again...

SO what are your thoughts?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Our thoughts will be pretty meaningless, compared to the value of a pre purchase inspection, which is critical to what you are contemplating.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:54 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Right, you're going to want to get a PPI on any car you decide to buy, especially one that is approaching or over 100k miles and 8+ years old. That said, as a general principle I would prefer the single owner car that was driven as a daily because chances are higher that he took care of the car and kept up with the service. I would also prefer the 987.2 over the 987.1, so all signs point to the 2010 in the comparison you outlined above. Just make sure your PPI checks the clutch life, because at 130K miles if it is the original clutch that might be something you will be replacing soon.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:56 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Inspections are good. In my opinion, as long as you have full service records, maintenance is up to date and was never put off, and the car hasn't been abused, I would opt for the 2010.

A 30K mile difference really isn't that much and I would opt for a 987.2 just to avoid the IMS bearing and the fact that it's a newer car. Also, if you prefer the styling of the 987.2, then get it.

Buy the car that you really want and you'll still be happy when you have to fix stuff. Settle for a car that checks most of the boxes and you'll find yourself looking at other cars in a few years or buying a lot of modifications to make it the car you really wanted.

Quick Reply: Advice for the first Cayman/ Boxster owner