Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 08:06 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 08-12-2022, 08:06 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Old 09-08-2022, 01:50 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Old 09-09-2022, 08:58 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

After about 900 miles and two autocross events on the HB664N.634 Hawk HP+ front brake pads, I've decided to take them off. They have been posted for sale here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/987...g_created=true

If you're interested, please reference Hawk's website to confirm compatibility: https://www.hawkpadsdirect.com/produ...41130786291904

Hawk recommends these pads for autocross and that is exactly what they excel at. Strong bite even when they're fairly cold, fade resistant within their temperature range, noisy racecar brake sounds, and a fairly excessive amount of brake dust due to being such a grippy pad.

I bought these with the hopes of them being a hybrid pad that I could use on the track and street. In my opinion, they are too aggressive for the street. They'll get you to and from the track just fine, but they're not great for simple cruises. If they get hot and aren't aggressively used, they can try to stick to the rotor and result in what feels like brake judder under light braking conditions from highway speeds. Many online reviews warn of this, but it is especially apparent on mid/rear engine cars that lack weight up front.

While this was never a problem driving to the track or during autocross, I could feel the judder on my drive home.

For my driving style and intended use of my 987S, I've decided to get a dedicated set of track brakes and a dedicate set of street brakes. The hybrid pad life is not for me.

I've tried just about every sporty street pad option on the market and the Hawk HPS pads have always been one of my favorites on the mountain roads, so that is what I put back onto my car for street driving. No brake judder with these, even when they got super hot after the bedding process.

Any recommendations for track pads on these cars? I realize my preferences from racing front engine cars may not be a good fit on the Boxster.

Old 09-09-2022, 10:03 AM
fouckhest
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

@MyNameIdeasWereT

I don't want to detail this too much, but I know you live in NGa, and drive similar roads that I do (I'm on the NC/SC border)

I am planning the next set of pads on my new to me, 987.2 CS, not sure what it has for pads now, but on my past mtn drive car (boosted VW R32), I ran 17Z calipers with EBC yellows, they were great on all the roads we drive, ToD included....

Have you run those? Any comparison to the Hawk HPS? as you stated, knowing these mid-engine cars are different beasts

Thanks,
MH

p.s. - would be great to link of for a drive at some point!
Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by fouckhest
I am planning the next set of pads on my new to me, 987.2 CS, not sure what it has for pads now, but on my past mtn drive car (boosted VW R32), I ran 17Z calipers with EBC yellows, they were great on all the roads we drive, ToD included....

Have you run those? Any comparison to the Hawk HPS? as you stated, knowing these mid-engine cars are different beasts
I have EBC Yellow Stuff on my C30 right now (turbo, AWD, just under 3k lbs) and I love them. They've been great for the mountain roads and rallycross events.
Before the Yellow Stuff, I had Hawk HPS on that car. Back to back comparison, the HPS were a better pad for the street and never let me down for occasional track days and hill climbs. The Yellow Stuff pads have never failed me either; more bite once up to temperature, but they're not as good on a cold morning.

So while I feel that Yellow Stuff are better pads, I'll probably go back to HPS on the C30 since they are cheaper and never gave me any problems.

I have HPS on my FA20 WRX too. It's driven aggressively through the North GA mountains for commuting, but nothing more. The HPS have been fine and have really become my go-to preference for the street.

I may try Yellow Stuff or Blue Stuff on the 987 next. I just hate throwing away money to test brake pads... At least in my journey of testing UHP tires, I could have fun quickly burning through the tires I didn't like.

I'm always down for a fun mountain drive!
Old 09-09-2022, 11:42 AM
fouckhest
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
I have EBC Yellow Stuff on my C30 right now (turbo, AWD, just under 3k lbs) and I love them. They've been great for the mountain roads and rallycross events.
Before the Yellow Stuff, I had Hawk HPS on that car. Back to back comparison, the HPS were a better pad for the street and never let me down for occasional track days and hill climbs. The Yellow Stuff pads have never failed me either; more bite once up to temperature, but they're not as good on a cold morning.

So while I feel that Yellow Stuff are better pads, I'll probably go back to HPS on the C30 since they are cheaper and never gave me any problems.

I have HPS on my FA20 WRX too. It's driven aggressively through the North GA mountains for commuting, but nothing more. The HPS have been fine and have really become my go-to preference for the street.

I may try Yellow Stuff or Blue Stuff on the 987 next. I just hate throwing away money to test brake pads... At least in my journey of testing UHP tires, I could have fun quickly burning through the tires I didn't like.

I'm always down for a fun mountain drive!

Appreciate the quick feedback, certainly reinforces my thoughts on sticking with the yellows, since as you say, they never let me down.

We will certainly have to try and link up at some point!!

Old 09-09-2022, 03:29 PM
Racer Boy
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I hate to rain on your guys EBC Yellow parade, but I had them on my old Boxster for track days and hated them. They were fine for street driving, but at the track when they got hot, they would judder like crazy and fade easily. I know how to bed brakes and was doing it correctly, but those pads would transfer a bunch of material onto the rotors a few laps into a session, and the only way to clean the rotors up was to use a heavy-duty sanding disk on a hand-held grinder. I switched to another pad (PFC 08) and couldn't be happier. The PFCs have great feel, have never faded, and it appears that they will last a long time. They are even fine on the street, other than the terrible squeaking and dusting that any track pad gives you. Really, there isn't any pad that is dual purpose if you are beyond a beginner level driver on track.

My Boxster was considerably slower than my 2010 Cayman S, so I can't help but think that the Yellows would be even more unsuitable on the Cayman.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:52 PM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

That's the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. I never would have thought about some pad compounds being great on front engine cars but not for mid/rear engine cars, but it makes total sense that there would be such a noticeable difference. Especially when you consider the different braking styles that both cars require to set competitive lap times.
Old 09-09-2022, 04:07 PM
fouckhest
Instructor

That's the kind of feedback I was hoping to hear. I never would have thought about some pad compounds being great on front engine cars but not for mid/rear engine cars, but it makes total sense that there would be such a noticeable difference. Especially when you consider the different braking styles that both cars require to set competitive lap times.
100% agree on this!
Old 09-09-2022, 08:06 PM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The front grilles are finished.

Tell me more. Were these bought, or did you fab them?
Old 09-11-2022, 09:28 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Originally Posted by FlipE
Tell me more. Were these bought, or did you fab them?
It was 8 posts earlier in this thread... https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post15535938

$2.50 for 6" x 36" gutter guard mesh from home depot, already powder coated black.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:10 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Old 10-05-2022, 09:37 AM
fouckhest
Instructor

Nice! What road was that, I've not heard of that, but looks to be outside of Helen?

Maybe GA197?

Last edited by fouckhest; 10-05-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:06 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Wolf Pen Gap, it runs between 60 in Suches and connects to 129 on the north side of Blood Mountain.
The first half of Wolf Pen is residential, the second half has no driveways or side streets. It's often referred to as the GA dragon and there are occasionally a few photographers out on the weekends.
The following users liked this post:
fouckhest (10-05-2022)

Quick Reply: MyNameIdeasWereTaken 987.1 S Progression Thread