Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke the brake line bracket stud

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:09 AM
amurph182
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Broke the brake line bracket stud

Had the Tarrett caliper and brake line bracket studs installed several months ago to make swapping between street and track pads easier, and have changed pads a half dozen times so far with no issues. While I was putting my track pads in last night to prepare for a DE this weekend (PCA Potomac at Summit, if anyone else is going) I over-tightened the nut on one of the bracket studs (NOT the caliper stud) and it snapped off flush with the upright. Not sure if I over torqued it this time or if I had done so previously and it finally snapped, not that it matters. It will need to be drilled out to be replaced, and I possess neither the know how nor the tools to do the job myself, but there’s no way I’ll be able to have it fixed before the DE this weekend.

It seems like there’s enough natural tension on the bracket from all the stuff connected to it to keep it mostly in place, but obviously Porsche put a bolt there for a reason. Is it safe to go to the track without the bracket secured in place? It seems like a piece of duct tape would be more than enough to hold it temporarily, but being so close to the rotor/caliper I don’t know how that would hold up to the heat. I tried tugging on it from most angles to see how much it might move around on its own and there doesn’t seem to be able to move enough for the attached lines to contact any moving parts but safety first and all.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sent you a pm.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:53 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I would zip tie it to the upright (use multiple zip ties in a string if needed) and try some tape too. That's obv. a short term fix.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:24 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me last month. I risked it And drove without the stud until I could get it into a shop. No issues...I’d just get it professionally removed due to the sensitive nature of the aluminum knuckle.

Quick Reply: Broke the brake line bracket stud