Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Spark Plugs - Why does Pelican sell O-Rings & Seals

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 03:28 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Changing Spark Plugs - Why does Pelican sell O-Rings & Seals

I'm ordering plugs for this weekend's project and I noticed that Pelican Parts sells two items for this project: A) Spark Plug Hole-Seal and B) Spark Plug O-Rings. Since this is my first time changing plugs on the Cayman, I thought I would inquire as to what these are and should I be ordering them. They are cheap ($5 and $2) but I want to know if this is common to replace every time plugs are done.

Any advice is appreciated.

Vern
Old 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

No need to buy those. The seal is replaceable if it leaks, but is not normal maintenance. I changed my plugs a few k miles ago w/o.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:14 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I presume the Spark Plug Hole Seal is a temporary plug you put into the spark plug hole when changing the plugs. I do not believe that you need this. The O-rings are for the spark plug tubes - 2 O-rings per tube. As long as you are removing the coil packs and the plugs, it is a pretty good and cheap preventative maintenance idea to pull the spark plug tubes and replace the o-rings. You can use a boat bilge drain plug to pull the spark plug tubes. I think Pedro has a write up on this on his site: www.pedrosgarage.com
Old 07-24-2018, 04:22 PM
jg (atl)
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Just looked at Pedro’s site and it looks like you do not need to change the o-rings on the newer cars (I did this on my 2002 986S back in the day). He has this note posted:

Note: For model year 2003 and newer, the plastic spark plug tubes were replaced with the metal tubes that only get serviced during engine disassembly.
From the 2003 Boxster Service Information Book - under engine changes:
"The oil protection tubes are now a component part of the valve lifter housing and sealed to the cylinder head cover with formed oil seal rings."

Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs - Why does Pelican sell O-Rings & Seals