Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified the Cayman, not sure if I like it? (Shift Cable)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 04:01 PM
Mark(study)
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified the Cayman, not sure if I like it? (Shift Cable)

Switched to Numeric Shifter cables, combined with my short shifter... I love the new shift action feels very strong like a race car. ​​​​​ The car
is easier to drive "on/off" shifts like a light switch, no stalling or bogging down, amazing short throws. But I'm not sure I'm going to keep the mod as I am getting noise in the car that is not a rattle or vibration but "sounds like" white noise static on the radio or a louder fan problem in the dash from a faulty AC fan. When I take the car out of gear the noise goes away, so I know its the all-metal shifter cables(Porsche's design has lots of plastic and rubber in the cables). I hate to go back to stock but turning up the radio to drown out the mechanical noise is fine when I'm alone but not good for long trips with a passenger. Any suggestions? I wrapped the cables with extra padding and again am not getting any vibration or rattle, just some kind of noise transmitted by the metal cable (like the working principle of an electric guitar if I had to describe it in my own non-engineer way). I now realize that Porsche engineered the sound in the car, and when you mod a component you mess up the pleasant sound and get a mechanical industrial sound (every wonder why the sound isn't pleasant when you get in-car shots during televised race coverage?). I hate to put it back to stock, but I use to be able to hear every note of the engine and now I can't get a crystal clear read of what the engine is doing and I miss that. My wife likes the shift action, (like a hammer, she's tuff) but she mentioned the "luxury is gone" and I agree that Porsche did a great job making this car both sporty and luxurious for a serious sports car. (I'm not a wimp, but mechanical noise is just not fun).

My wife voted to keep the noise as she likes the rifle bolt action of the Numeric Cables shift action. I just miss being able to hear the mechanics of the engine... with the extra static or fan sounding white noise I can't tell if anything is wrong or out of tune on the engine. The extra layer of industrial noise is masking those little things I use to be able to monitor with my ear.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Mark(study)
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche has come out with new parts to work with their orginal shifter cables. Has anyone seen how they are mounted or a diagram showing how they work?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9872CABLE.html
Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You just need a louder exhaust..

Seriously though, a friend put a numeric shifter into his (now fully converted) Boxster racecar. I want one.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:16 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This is what Numeric told me:

The cables are transferring the noise from the transmission through the cables because they are a more direct fit. I don’t use plastic rod ends like stock because they have more play in them. I use aluminum rod ends so that there is no play improving your shifts. I have had several customers use 3/8 or 7/16 ID fuel line and say the noise went completely away. I have used silicone tubing with success but it’s more expensive to use. The foam that’s on the stock cables doesn’t seem to work very well. You can pick up the fuel line from any auto parts store. 10 feet should be enough to do both cables. I need to update the directions so everyone knows what to do.

Daniel Geberth

[img]cid:image001.jpg@01D1DDFD.57A91C20[/img]
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM
jdavis8361
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

This is what Numeric said to me:

"The cables are transferring the noise from the transmission through the cables because they are a more direct fit. I don’t use plastic rod ends like stock because they have more play in them. I use aluminum rod ends so that there is no play improving your shifts. I have had several customers use 3/8 or 7/16 ID fuel line and say the noise went completely away. I have used silicone tubing with success but it’s more expensive to use. The foam that’s on the stock cables doesn’t seem to work very well. You can pick up the fuel line from any auto parts store. 10 feet should be enough to do both cables. I need to update the directions so everyone knows what to do."

Daniel Geberth
[img]cid:image001.jpg@01D1DDFD.57A91C20[/img]
Old 05-18-2018, 02:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can hear shifter cable noises, stop short shifting!!!!
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

I just ordered the new OEM shift cable kit. I'd like to get rid of the mushy feel and I don't want to get caught stranded on the road.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:06 AM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I installed the cables and also found the noise objectionable. But putting silicone hose over the cables helped. Also, make sure you reinstall the grommet at the firewall. The Numeric cables are larger diameter so the grommet does not fit as well. I used some dynamat on top of the grommet to seal out the noise. I also carefully put dynamat around the linkage in the console, making sure I wasn't inhibiting movement but still sealing the area. In the end, I thought the noise was no more than stock.
Bern

Quick Reply: Modified the Cayman, not sure if I like it? (Shift Cable)