Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5W30 Mobil 1 for Cayman S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 PM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5W30 Mobil 1 for Cayman S?

Just bought a very well maintained 2007 Cayman S with 10,900 miles and good records. Car has had several oil changes, brake fluid, etc. Previous owner of one year had oil changed 10 days before I bought the car. After bringing the car home, I noticed that the invoice for this last oil change showed Mobil 1 5W30M. I called the shop that did the service, thinking it should be 0W40. Service advisor told me that the 5W30 was approved by Porsche and the lighter weight was because of the change to winter season.

Say what? Does Porsche really approve this weight? I live in Seattle, not Montana. Seems to me I need to get an oil change to 0W40 asap. Anyone, please advise.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Honestly there's not much of a difference between those grades of oil. I wouldn't think twice about it. I assume you're just daily driving the car right? Go enjoy the car and don't over think trivial things like this or you'll suck all the fun out of it.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 AM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably not a huge deal, but neither the owners manual for my 07 Cayman nor the 2015 Approved Porsche A40 Engine Oils list any 30w oils, so you are running thinner oil than recommended.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

If you can DIY, leave the filter in place, drain the oil, and replace with 0W40. Mobil 1 Euro is $24 per 5at jug at Wal-Mart, mat still have a $12 rebate. I just bought an 06 Cayman S and would be concerned.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

If that were my car, I would not want a 5W30 oil in it. Go to a 5W40, 0W40, or 5W50 Porsche A40 approved oil. There are over 200 to select from.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtripper1
Just bought a very well maintained 2007 Cayman S with 10,900 miles and good records. Car has had several oil changes, brake fluid, etc. Previous owner of one year had oil changed 10 days before I bought the car. After bringing the car home, I noticed that the invoice for this last oil change showed Mobil 1 5W30M. I called the shop that did the service, thinking it should be 0W40. Service advisor told me that the 5W30 was approved by Porsche and the lighter weight was because of the change to winter season.

Say what? Does Porsche really approve this weight? I live in Seattle, not Montana. Seems to me I need to get an oil change to 0W40 asap. Anyone, please advise.
The shop is wrong and I think you need to find another place to take your car. 5W-30 is not an approved oil for Porsche sports cars or sports sedans. I think 5W-30 is approved for use in Porsche diesel powered vehicles.

In your area I'd advise you to use 0w-40.

I have to point out that Porsche states approved oils are miscible. So if one wants to change from say an approved 0w-40 to an approved 5w-40 there is no concern about a bit of blending of the two oils. There is a quart or so of the old oil left in the engine although an overnight drain interval would have the amount of oil left in the engine reduced.

But 5w-30 is not an approved oil and has the wrong high temperature viscosity index.

My advice would be to take the car back to the shop and insist the right oil be used and a full drain/refill with a filter change be done.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:11 PM
roadtripper1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take it back, except for that 1) the oil change was paid for by the previous owner just before I looked at the car. 2) I went to the shop with the previous owner and the service advisor insisted that the 5W30 was fine. Not going there again! Besides, that shop is some distance away, and I have shop in Bellevue, WA, that is well trusted by myself and the Porsche community less than 30 min away. I would do my own change, but neck and back, problems prevent me from doing so.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtripper1
I would take it back, except for that 1) the oil change was paid for by the previous owner just before I looked at the car. 2) I went to the shop with the previous owner and the service advisor insisted that the 5W30 was fine. Not going there again! Besides, that shop is some distance away, and I have shop in Bellevue, WA, that is well trusted by myself and the Porsche community less than 30 min away. I would do my own change, but neck and back, problems prevent me from doing so.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Based on what you posted I think it wise to *not* take the car back to the shop that did the pre-sale oil change.

I can sympathize wiht you regarding neck and back pain. My back and neck are ok, thank goodness, but had some shoulder issues some few years back. Fortunately cortisone shots "fixed" the shoulders and some PT got full motion back in both shoulders. They had essentially locked up and motion range was severely limited. Then had hand troubles and eventually had to have trigger finger surgery done to both hands. Hands no longer hurt but hand grip strength not what it used to be. Most recently the right shoulder became painful again. Not the same type of pain as before but the pain hurt just as much. Couple of shots in the shoulder and the pain is fading and exercises are helping. But no working on cars for me.

Get the car in and get that 5w-30 oil replaced just to be safe. I recall an exchange I had with I think it was a Cayman owner and somehow the car ended up with 5w-30 oil in the engine -- I vaguely recall his situation was similar to yours -- and the car experienced engine problems that could have been due to the oil. No way of proving it, but not worth the risk in my opinion.

Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: 5W30 Mobil 1 for Cayman S?