Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help bleeding 987.1 coolant after water pump and thermostat install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:59 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
You use that tool on a completely empty system to create a vacuum, test for leaks, and then suck the coolant in.

You do not use it on a partially filled or almost full system to pull out air bubbles.
I'm not quite getting the logic here. If the tool works to fill a coolant system, it also has to be able to pull fluid through a partially full system, seems to me.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never done it, but I assume if you had some air pockets, fluid would be sucked out as your start to pull a vacuum, but maybe depending on the size and location of the pockets, not all would be removed? So maybe you're left with a few small pockets that would work their way out? I guess I can see that using it on a partially full system might not work as well as on a totally empty system, but seems like a good first step as the OP demonstrated. Then you just top it off over the next few driving cycles. If that doesn't work, drain the system and start over. I dunno - just guessing. [Edit: just noticed it was MrMoose, not the OP, that mentioned it had worked.]

Last edited by danschy; 09-08-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Hall911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danschy
Never done it, but I assume if you had some air pockets, fluid would be sucked out as your start to pull a vacuum, but maybe depending on the size and location of the pockets, not all would be removed? So maybe you're left with a few small pockets that would work their way out? I guess I can see that using it on a partially full system might not work as well as on a totally empty system, but seems like a good first step as the OP demonstrated. Then you just top it off over the next few driving cycles. If that doesn't work, drain the system and start over. I dunno - just guessing.
Agree. That is my hope anyway. FWIW the tool arrives today and I'll give it a try by Monday. I'm optimistic, it is a simple concept.

Yes, it is the same process for a 3rd Radiator install.

I ended up with the $120 brand because the $80 version wasn't shipping for weeks.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:29 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Vacuum tool will work if there's a bit of fluid in there, no idea what it'll do if the system is mostly full. Be careful to cover the outlet or it'll probably spit fluid as you pull vacuum.

If if it were me I'd just drain the coolant and refill with the vacuum tool from scratch. Don't know about the 987.1, but on the 987.2 a coolant drain is pretty easy.

Last edited by MrMoose; 09-08-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 09-08-2017, 06:36 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hall911
Agree. That is my hope anyway. FWIW the tool arrives today and I'll give it a try by Monday. I'm optimistic, it is a simple concept.

Yes, it is the same process for a 3rd Radiator install.

I ended up with the $120 brand because the $80 version wasn't shipping for weeks.
Just wondering, when you replaced the water pump did you let the coolant drain out? I've seen some people advocate clamping the hoses closed to minimize fluid loss. Based on this thread I'm thinking you just want to let it all run out, but maybe that is what you did.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Coolant

I had my 6k mile '10S Box coolant changed based on time. Drawing a vacuum is the key--gauge spiked after 10 min run, shut off, restart, right at 175 degrees for another 10", repeat. Took maybe 8 oz. Problem persisted. Drained fully, redone, 45" vacuum, 2 oz. Did the trick. A PITA process.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I watched my mechanic change the coolant in my Spyder and a vacuum tool was required to pull the coolant in.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM
Hall911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danschy
Just wondering, when you replaced the water pump did you let the coolant drain out? I've seen some people advocate clamping the hoses closed to minimize fluid loss. Based on this thread I'm thinking you just want to let it all run out, but maybe that is what you did.
Yes. At almost 12 years old I figured it couldn't hurt.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:26 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Vacuum tool works on system with coolant in it.
When you pull to 25" on the gauge it collapses the hoses (normal) and squeezes out some coolant.
Put the tools exhaust hose in a bucket to catch expelled coolant.
If you suspect a leak shut the valve and disconnect the air supply. Give it 10 - 15 minutes and check the gauge to see if it lost any vacuum. If no leak fill a clean bucket with mix and suck it back into the system.
Make sure that you have more than you need in your feed bucket so that you don't suck air in at the end.
VW/Audi coolant is ~$22 a gallon at VW dealer. Porsche is much more.

Quick Reply: Help bleeding 987.1 coolant after water pump and thermostat install