Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Spyder Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flpnout
Oh my!!! Many thanks for the link!!! Bookmarked!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 12:39 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
If I wasn't fanatical about keeping my car bone stock (and if money were no object), OEM GT3RS fenders would be at the top of my mod list. Can't wait to see if any Spyder owners opt for the nice looking (and radically less expensive) ones being advertised by a RL vendor here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...r-981-gt4.html

Just think they would look the biz on the Spyder (and certainly wouldn't be opposed to anyone photoshopping these fenders on a Spyder to give us a little taste).
Agree on those fenders. I am very much considering them. I mentioned a group buy on one of their threads and they actually posted that they will do one. This is a mod that is direct oem replacement as far as installing goes. They can easily be removed and sold if ever to sell the car and put back to stock fenders. If we can get 5 to buy them I believe it was a decent savings.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by flpnout
That's only for GT4 wing, correct?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:01 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Default Mods to come...

My mods ready for install.

~ BBS FI-R 's with Michelin Pilot 4S in GT4 spec / fitment.

~ MGR titanium stud kit.

~ ROW OEM tinted tail light with amber turn indicators.

~ 981 Spyder script for lower front of doors.

~ FVD Brombacher Long tube sport headers and exhaust.

Last edited by GT TREE; 05-01-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by GT TREE
That's only for GT4 wing, correct?
No, it's for the duck tail piece which fits both the spyder and gt4.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:58 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

GT Tree I am so excited to see those wheels on a Spyder. PICS!!!!
Old 05-03-2018, 04:39 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

My mods ready for install.

~ BBS FI-R 's with Michelin Pilot 4S in GT4 spec / fitment.

~ MGR titanium stud kit.

~ ROW OEM tinted tail light with amber turn indicators.

~ 981 Spyder script for lower front of doors.

~ FVD Brombacher Long tube sport headers and exhaust.

Are there lug nut covers going over those? Or are the studs/nuts exposed?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:50 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Which interestingly enough the Spyder ducktail and GT4 ducktail are different so that won't fit!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:38 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Which interestingly enough the Spyder ducktail and GT4 ducktail are different so that won't fit!
unless i've been smoking something for the past few years.. no they aren't, they're exactly the same except for the fact that the Spyder's moves, and the GT4's is static.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:08 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
unless i've been smoking something for the past few years.. no they aren't, they're exactly the same except for the fact that the Spyder's moves, and the GT4's is static.
I contacted them on this piece. It does NOT fit the Spyder ducktail is what I was told.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:56 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Installed a Lithium ion battery and custom designed bracket made by Antigravity. Was from a group buy here in the 991 GT3 / RS / 911R sub forum.
Saved just over 21.5 lbs compared to just over 30 lbs that the guys with the 911's saved due to having an even heavier OEM battery than ours.

Last edited by GT TREE; 06-17-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:51 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Installed a Lithium ion battery and custom designed bracket made by Antigravity.
I'm impressed with this product, but frankly too chicken to be one of the first to try. Please report back on your experience with this battery. Definitely the best bang for the buck as far as weight-savings-per-dollar goes. Hope it performs as advertised and works out great.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

I'm impressed with this product, but frankly too chicken to be one of the first to try. Please report back on your experience with this battery. Definitely the best bang for the buck as far as weight-savings-per-dollar goes. Hope it performs as advertised and works out great.
Curious as to exactly what it is you're afraid of....

Lithium batteries have been running in cars for years now. This was the easiest decision ever for me personally.

Especially, as you mentioned, a very bang for the buck mod in weight savings.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Curious as to exactly what it is you're afraid of.... Lithium batteries have been running in cars for years now.
While it's true that lithium technology is not new, this particular battery IS new and if there's one thing I learned from Scott's lengthy, detailed and highly informative responses to questions posed on the GT3 forum, it's that not all lithium batteries are created equal.

I'm generally not an early adopter - of anything. When Apple comes out with a new OS, I'm not that guy that rushes to download it. Invariably there are kinks with new products so I generally wait until the .1, .2, or .3 versions after any bugs have been addressed. I strongly suspect the RS-30 is extremely well-sorted right out of the gate, but true to my nature I'll wait for some additional real-world feedback before making a purchase decision on this brand new lithium battery offering.

As this battery gets in the hands of more and more customers such as you, we will have better real-world results and data points on this battery's performance. I'm confident it will perform as Scott has represented because he strikes me as a straight-shooter and, as I understand the technology, the RS-30 sounds like a great product with its BMS, over-discharge protection, over-charge protection, etc., but I'd still be curious to see some independent verification from a number of actual customers who can confirm:

-- The battery puts itself to sleep as advertised with just enough reserve capacity to restart the car if you accidentally leave the keys in the ignition, or lights on, or store it for too long.

--You don't need to take your car in to the dealer to reset the PIWIS. It's my understanding the verdict is still out if any anomalies will crop up if you don't make a change in the PIWIS system to the lithium battery setting.

-- The battery, as advertised, has enough amp hours to satisfy break-down situations and road side emergencies.

-- I can leave the car sit for a couple of months without having to put it on a charger.

-- There are no warranty issues that arise from use of this battery. Scott said he didn't really know, although he strongly suspected there are no adverse warranty consequences because Porsche has their own lithium battery which has the same chemical make up as the RS-30. I'd certainty want some clarity on Porsche's position on this issue and I'd probably hesitate until I heard back ideally from people sharing what their experience was when they took their car in for warranty service and Porsche learned they had this battery in the car.

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 06-20-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 AM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

While it's true that lithium technology is not new, this particular battery IS new and if there's one thing I learned from Scott's lengthy, detailed and highly informative responses to questions posed on the GT3 forum, it's that not all lithium batteries are created equal.

I'm generally not an early adopter - of anything. When Apple comes out with a new OS, I'm not that guy that rushes to download it. Invariably there are kinks with new products so I generally wait until the .1, .2, or .3 versions after any bugs have been addressed. I strongly suspect the RS-30 is extremely well-sorted right out of the gate, but true to my nature I'll wait for some additional real-world feedback before making a purchase decision on this brand new lithium battery offering.

As this battery gets in the hands of more and more customers such as you, we will have better real-world results and data points on this battery's performance. I'm confident it will perform as Scott has represented because he strikes me as a straight-shooter and, as I understand the technology, the RS-30 sounds like a great product with its BMS, over-discharge protection, over-charge protection, etc., but I'd still be curious to see some independent verification from a number of actual customers who can confirm:

-- The battery puts itself to sleep as advertised with just enough reserve capacity to restart the car if you accidentally leave the keys in the ignition, or lights on, or store it for too long.

--You don't need to take your car in to the dealer to reset the PIWIS. It's my understanding the verdict is still out if any anomalies will crop up if you don't make a change in the PIWIS system to the lithium battery setting.

-- The battery, as advertised, has enough amp hours to satisfy break-down situations and road side emergencies.

-- I can leave the car sit for a couple of months without having to put it on a charger.

-- There are no warranty issues that arise from use of this battery. Scott said he didn't really know, although he strongly suspected there are no adverse warranty consequences because Porsche has their own lithium battery which has the same chemical make up as the RS-30. I'd need certainty want some clarity on Porsche's position on this issue and I'd probably hesitate until I heard back ideally from people sharing what their experience was when they took their car in for warranty service and Porsche learned they had this battery in the car.
Makes sense.. as you do make some valid points. I will definitely keep anyone posted that is interested on how this battery is performing.

Quick Reply: Spyder Modifications