Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer holdback ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer holdback ?

Can anyone tell me what the dealer holdback is for Boxster S ? Dealer is offering 5% off a '15 build (dealer profit about $3.400) but I'm hoping for more room.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Should be about 7.5% but may be slightly higher if the car is highly optioned.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:43 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

7.5% holdback ??? wow thats rich. Most dealers get 3%
Old 09-13-2014, 12:41 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may have misunderstood the question. What I understand is that the difference between MSRP and Invoice is about 7.5%. I don't know if there's additional holdback but I do know Porsche does offer incentives to move cars depending on time of year and the car in question. Hope this helps.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:39 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by pbkirby
Can anyone tell me what the dealer holdback is for Boxster S ? Dealer is offering 5% off a '15 build (dealer profit about $3.400) but I'm hoping for more room.
'Holdbacks' are a 'state secret' at Porsche. Most salesman (including Sales Managers & General Manager of stores) have no idea what 'IF' or 'WHAT' is a holdback for a given fiscal year at a Porsche dealer given by the importer or manufacturer. In this case, PCNA. That money will be given to dealer principal directly by PCNA and has never been made public re: a US Porsche dealer, at least to my knowledge. The practice is quite common with traditional US manufacturers. But it's a topic not often associated with imported cars and their dealerships in the US. I personally think 'holdbacks' do exist for US Porsche dealers from PCNA...but I have no proof of them.

On a different topic, the difference between MSRP and Invoice on the base price of a Porsche 991 or 981 I believe is around 10%. On the options is goes up to 15%. Destination charge is a constant. There is a small 'preparation credit' (used to be around $85) given to dealers but also a 'Porsche Dealer Info Service' charge (used to be around $200). You can do the math.

Finally, there is 'trunk money'. That is given to dealer to help incentivize sales of left-over Porsches in inventory after the next year's models start arriving. Dealer can keep that whole amount of the 'trunk money' or share it with the buyer to get a sale. It's all negotiable. Caveat lector.

In Porsche recent history, the amount of trunk money has varied each year. Last Fall (2013), it was apparently not very much - maybe $5K per unsold MY2013 991's. In other years (e.g. Leftover MY2009 in Sept/Oct 2009 when the new MY2010 started arriving!), it was pretty substantial due to the world economic meltdown that occurred during that particular model year! I don't think we yet know what PCNA has decided to do, 'trunk money' wise, for leftover MY2014 cars at dealer inventory in US...if anything. As of a few weeks ago (per Cars.com) for example, there were slightly over 1K unsold 991 units in US dealer inventory. Now I think we are down to low 900+. Yes, a large figure...but not when you average it all out among all the numerous dealers in the US! If anybody knows what the official PCNA trunk money is for leftover MY2014 991's or 981's (if it has been already implemented, that is!), please let us know or PM me. It's not supposed to be public knowledge, but that information has a tendency to leak out to savvy individuals in time. Another great value of the internet and forums such as Rennlist.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Yeah, there is no trunk money for a 2015 order right now. Trunk monies are designed as a "buy it now" sale tool. You'll see that at the clearance rack, not on an order.

5% discount on a 2015 order is quite generous I think. Anything beyond that, it's just nickels and dimes at this point. And no sane dealer will dip into the holdback on a merchandise that is not distressed.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Thanks guys for the responses. Dealer offered 5% off MSRP for a '15 S build and only 3% off for a GTS. They know I'm getting additional "help" from PCNA so they are being a bit tight. I've grown tired of searching the '14 leftovers given my option requirements (X73, sport seats,, sport exhaust). Having a hard time justifying the GTS for the extra money but like the exclusive nature having come out of a '04 S 550 Anniversary Edition. Need to decide soon. Even looked at used Spyders but for $10K more I can get a new '15 to my specification. Decisions, decisions
Old 09-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spyder!

But I'm biased.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boxster GTS! With the red stitching. Pass up a few useless options, as the GTS is already more special. It may narrow the delta.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:07 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 453 Posts

Consider the GTS v the S. Few of my Porsche Client Advisors who are personal friends have told me "outside of work" that they would go with a properly optioned S than a GTS for the money. That being said IF they were spending their own money. For what it is worth they have all driven and seen/sold GTS's and S Boxster and Cayman and said the added HP really isn't felt on the GTS and other than the styling bits and specialness of having the badge they see a lot of folks move from GTS to S and sometimes vice versa. Its just personal preferences and needs they've said.

Interestingly enough they said they've seen a lot of folks jumping down from 997's or even a few from 991's to the 981 Cayman and Boxsters since their release. Not a huge number but enough to note that not every one who comes in seeking a 911 is now buying one outright but cross shopping a bit. As for incentive...none for GTS models yet...too new and too limited from what I've seen so if you're offered 3% on a GTS to order feel special. I got about 6.0% on a 981 Cayman S built to order which was good I was told for an ordered car but more maybe as close to 8-9% or more I was told could be offered on cars already in inventory and also if I waited till Aug/Sept and bought a 2014 as the new 2015 are arriving. I've seen this to be the case with new MY inventory needing the spots of those leftover models from previous year. Buddy is currently offered almost $15k off a 2014 BMW 6 seires Grand Coupe from sticker as its the last of two in stock at his dealership.

Holdback money...Porsche never confirms nor denies its existence it seems...its like stealth technology to them. You know its out there but seldom do you ever see it!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:23 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

No holdback for Porsche according to Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/dealer-holdback/

Whether that's fact or there is a secret, who knows.

Oh, and dealer "mark-up" is 9.8% or something very close to that number.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:22 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Thanks mdrobc123 and others for your input. I guess coming from a "special edition" Boxster ('04 S 550 SE, albeit not so special) I was attractive to the allure of a GTS. But given that it will be mostly a daily driver, mountain runner and occasional auto crosser an S configured to my spec will do and leave some room in the budget. I'll push the dealer on the 5% off MSRP on an S, now need to decide Boxster vs Cayman.

Quick Reply: Dealer holdback ?